Jump to content
Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?


Pezzza
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, oldbloke said:

You blokes are waaay too impatient.  Stout needs plenty of time.

My current Stout was bottled 3/9/2021. I've only had about 12 stubbies so far.

Just getting to its peak about now. Will still be good in 12 months  by which time I'll be drinking the last of it.

 

I'll put a fresh one in the FMV in 4 or 5 months.

I'm still drinking my keg of Stout that i kegged on 2/4/2021 and it is bloody sensational. Definitely should age stouts as long as possible.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Wow @RDT2 RD what a beautiful thing!

Been to Göttingen and Bebra but never to Eschwege - so this is the first time I have seen the Jacobinus - coooooool!

@RDT2 mate how do you prep the dry Gelatine to add - and when do you add it?  Your advice please?

@BlackSands I think I bothered you Sandy about Gelatine a while ago but never got around to doing it - I think you use it too mate don't you?

It would be nice to try making some clear beer one day ; )

Cheers mate I just put a teaspoon of gelatine in a boiled cup of water stir it till it’s dissolved and then add to the cold crashed fermenter gently stirring it in and give it a couple of days then keg it. Seems to work quite well. I don’t worry about blooming etc and seems to be okay not sure how it would go bottling but works well in the keg. Just reminded me I have two bottles of kb lager will try them soon but they are clear when they are warm.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Cheers mate I just put a teaspoon of gelatine in a boiled cup of water stir it till it’s dissolved and then add to the cold crashed fermenter gently stirring it in and give it a couple of days then keg it. Seems to work quite well. I don’t worry about blooming etc and seems to be okay not sure how it would go bottling but works well in the keg. Just reminded me I have two bottles of kb lager will try them soon but they are clear when they are warm.

@Itinerant Peasant, Blacksands' process is a tiny bit more complicated (but much easier than how I used to do it).  To quote him "My process is much simpler - teaspoon of gelatine in cold water to allow it to bloom, maybe 15mins then I pour in some boiled water to fully dissolve and then in she goes! And that's it!"  Click on the red text link for the comments in the post around when he did it.

I followed his process recently.  Mine was a half batch, so only half a teaspoon into half a cup of cooled boiled water.  Leave for 15 minutes to bloom.  Then add 150ml of just boiled water to bring the overall temperature to 60°C.  Stir to dissolve the gelatine bits.  Add to a keg.  Then transfer the beer straight onto the gelatine/water mix.  I reckon it took 2 - 3 litres from the bottom of the keg for the brew to clear up, but now it is crystal clear.  I will post a picture next time I pour one of those beers.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep I agree with you on that one, it is a great yeast for fast ferments. Nice looking brew as well.

Reading this warms my heart! On Sunday I decided to do a quick brew and grabbed some Kveik yeast slurry that had been in the fridge for about 4 months. A quick feed of LDME and kept at 35 degrees or so and 6 hours later was raring to go into a simple kits and bits brew.  Airlock activity within 30 minutes and now 24 hours later about 3/4 way to expected final gravity! Will dry hop tomorrow morning, then let floc out then cold crash then bottle Sunday! My biggest issue at the moment is keeping the outside brew fridge temp up above 33 with just a single heat belt and over night temps around 5 ! First world problem…

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, BlackSands said:

This is now the fourth kveik-fermented brew where I've tested the idea that with this yeast bottled beers maybe condition much quicker than usually associated with other yeast strains.  The first time I tested this idea (AG batch) seemed to suggest this was not the case, though that beer, a Golden ale was certainly good to go at two weeks.   The second such 'experiment' suggested otherwise however.  That partial mash beer -  a porter,  after accelerated carbonation induced by putting the entire bottled batch in my fermentation fridge at 30ºC was perfectly drinkable after 7 days.  Similarly with a dark ale that followed.  And now,  this latest partial-mash English bitter:  I'm tasting this now at just four days in the bottle!   I think carbonation still has a way to go... though this lower carb does actually suit the style,  but more importantly, this is ready to drink now!  Of course it will change over the coming weeks but there's no hint of that familar "green" that I normally associate with young beer.   So, brew day to glass in eight days all up, thanks to Kveik - the perfect yeast for impatient brewers!  😄  Actually, the motive behind this was I wanted to allow my stepson to sample this one. He's here from Germany at the moment and flies back in a few days time so the pressure was on!  Had the same pressure last month when my  daughter visited for a couple of weeks.  Where would I (and the kids) be without Kveik?   🤔🥳

IMG_20220717_171058.jpg

That’s what I call fermenting under pressure Sandman 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PintsMeLocal said:

So lets hear @interceptor @Classic Brewing Co and any other stout enthusiasts @Pale Man, in your opinion,  what is a minimal time to age a stout (bottled)? And when would you say would be peak drinking age? Just bottled a stout myself

OK My personal opinion is it depends on a couple of factors;

1. If it is a k & K brew the minimum testing time would be 14 days in the bottle ideally stored at 18c.

Of course in  3/4 weeks it will taste better, in 5/6/7 it will taste even better. I am drinking one at 10 weeks & it is to die for but the thing is, it depends on how strong willed or desperate you are to open it.

AG brewed Stouts are different & as you know I am no expert on this having only entered this scenario recently but it is a bit hard to compare them with k & k given the ingredients/methods used so they are more forgiving, having said that the more time they can be aged would be beneficial.

I am sure some of our Stout Pundits including @Itinerant Peasant @Shamus O'Sean & the ones you mentioned would have an opinion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK My personal opinion is it depends on a couple of factors;

1. If it is a k & K brew the minimum testing time would be 14 days in the bottle ideally stored at 18c.

Of course in  3/4 weeks it will taste better, in 5/6/7 it will taste even better. I am drinking one at 10 weeks & it is to die for but the thing is, it depends on how strong willed or desperate you are to open it.

AG brewed Stouts are different & as you know I am no expert on this having only entered this scenario recently but it is a bit hard to compare them with k & k given the ingredients/methods used so they are more forgiving, having said that the more time they can be aged would be beneficial.

I am sure some of our Stout Pundits including @Itinerant Peasant @Shamus O'Sean & the ones you mentioned would have an opinion.

Cheers Phil great response. I think i will try a bottle at 3 weeks and take it from there. As most of u know, im in South Africa, so Coopers is more pricey and there is only one or two LHBS that stock it. So i dont make brews as often as i would like, maybe one or two a month depending on the finances. 

My point being, once i make a beer, im dying to drink it by the 2 week mark🤭🙃😅😂

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Cheers Phil great response. I think i will try a bottle at 3 weeks and take it from there. As most of u know, im in South Africa, so Coopers is more pricey and there is only one or two LHBS that stock it. So i dont make brews as often as i would like, maybe one or two a month depending on the finances. 

My point being, once i make a beer, im dying to drink it by the 2 week mark🤭🙃😅😂

There is nothing wrong with that, we have ALL at some stage sneaked a taste of a brew 7-10 days busting to see what it turned out like only to realise that  more time makes it better, of course it would also depend on the ingredients used i.e. a basic k & k brew or additions as added malt or steeped grain etc. 

The basic rule of thumb is after 14 days you are good to go but the further you go down the bugs bunny hole you discover even more ways to perfect your craft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a Stout, but close. ROTM Mr. Sinister Ale with Morgan’s Dark Ale and Chocolate Malt. I did let it bottle prime for 4 weeks and it was very nice. This one is 10 month old and so smooth. Still have a few left. with Abv 7.8% it’s only a once in a while drink, like a nice glass of wine. Very good with some Toblerone so.9B20274A-817A-48CF-98B1-247E6E9F2D3F.thumb.png.0af9cd773f5fc42c9cdfeef5930bcfe4.png

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

So lets hear @interceptor @Classic Brewing Co and any other stout enthusiasts @Pale Man, in your opinion,  what is a minimal time to age a stout (bottled)? And when would you say would be peak drinking age? Just bottled a stout myself

Well  no expert here.

Minimum. 3-4 months.

Peak.         12 months.

 

I've drank stouts 2-3 years old. Like mothers milk.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am sure some of our Stout Pundits including @Itinerant Peasant @Shamus O'Sean & the ones you mentioned would have an opinion.

Not sure what a pundit is, but I'll give you my opinion anyway.

I gotta agree with @Pale Man, 1 week.

Although it depends on the stout.  I think 1 week in a keg is fine for an every day dry Irish stout.  Two weeks if bottle conditioning.  Your bigger imperial stouts should be left for longer.  Having said that, I have tasted some of mine at 2 weeks and they are very drinkable.

I did the Coopers Russian Imperial Stout ages ago.  I had the last bottle at 12 months.  It was not very good.  The flavour had become very harsh.  The bottles between 6 - 9 months were ace.

I have also done a clone of Modus Operandi's Russian Imperial Stout.  I had my last bottle of it when it was just over a year old.  It was outstanding.  My BIL still has a bottle of it from October 2020.  My current version of it is just over 3 months old and tasting just as good as the first version.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First bottle of a Summer Berry Sour, after 10 days in the bottle .It has 500g of freshly mushed-up cherries. 
Wow! Not as sweet as Kreik, but really refreshing and sour.

Glad I made this one, wish I hadn’t offered as many as “gifts” to mates’ wives as my brews were “too masculine”

FFS…

 

7F53D8CF-5574-4FE0-B8CF-BCF6E813C36D.jpeg

9433D6B3-E132-4223-A283-73A1CEEC0BBE.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

First bottle of a Summer Berry Sour, after 10 days in the bottle .It has 500g of freshly mushed-up cherries. 
Wow! Not as sweet as Kreik, but really refreshing and sour.

Glad I made this one, wish I hadn’t offered as many as “gifts” to mates’ wives as my brews were “too masculine”

FFS…

 

7F53D8CF-5574-4FE0-B8CF-BCF6E813C36D.jpeg

9433D6B3-E132-4223-A283-73A1CEEC0BBE.jpeg

Not the biggest fan of Sours, but with Cherries? my favourite stone fruit.! It looks beautiful, would love to try one

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Morgans amber ale with 1.5 caramalt LME and 750 g wheat LME. Cascade tea and dry hop. 2 weeks old

 

 

IMG_20220720_142834.jpg

IMG_20220720_143437.jpg

Sensational

Before Brewing my own, I had not had an Amber Ale

but it will be a regular, from now on, during the Cold months!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...