Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep.  You are right IP.  My bad.  I got my higher and lower in pH around the wrong way.  And it is better to say that dark grains are more acidic.

All good SOS @Shamus O'Sean ol' cobber I got the drift that you just had inadvertently swapped directions which is easily done but thought worth just maybe clarifying and all good mate 👍

And that maybe the little discussion might also help any brewer who may be interested in a foray into the whole solution pH thing.

Cheers and Good Brewing to All 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Equally Amazing

You both show off your Beer and Art in Your photo's for our enjoyment and I say " Thank You" love it.

Best I can do is a poorly composed out of focus Beer with head and bubbles..

But you get the idea, it's great beer made possible by the help from you all here!

Love it

Thank You

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is my Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA (name changed from the official Bentspoke Crankshaft Cranking IPA for legal reasons)

Ripe stone fruit aromas with some citrus.

Similar flavours.  Good bitterness.

This is a bit of a traditional West Coast IPA and I love it.

IMG_3023.JPG.fbd3b969b58b439ba30fe307fb9f3e12.JPG

Nice work good clarity I have been eying this recipe off as well!!

33 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Nice work good clarity I have been eying this recipe off as well!!

Thanks.  I used Isinglass and Polyclar during the cold crash.  The Isinglass helps with clarity and Polyclar helps with chill haze.  The result is a nice clear brew.  Nothing wrong with a hazy beer (see my Fruit Bomb Triple IPA, for example).  However, if a beer is meant to be pretty clear, and we have the means to make it clear, I say why not try.

• Like 3

The Bavarian. My take on a Hefeweizen. After sampling heaps of HWs while in Bavaria recently, I came to the conclusion that this doesn’t have to hide behind what’s on offer 👍 Yes, I am also a little full of myself 😂

A62C6702-3EA5-4895-959B-475892742A3E.thumb.jpeg.b25f9dd5d90e4fb0a6a0939c57055aa2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is my Bent's Poke Cranking Shaft IPA (name changed from the official Bentspoke Crankshaft Cranking IPA for legal reasons)

Ripe stone fruit aromas with some citrus.

Similar flavours.  Good bitterness.

This is a bit of a traditional West Coast IPA and I love it.

IMG_3023.JPG.fbd3b969b58b439ba30fe307fb9f3e12.JPG

Now that's an elegant glass for what sounds like an elegant beer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

Beer with head and bubbles

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

if a beer is meant to be pretty clear,

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

doesn’t have to hide behind what’s on offer

image.thumb.png.0bf3805ede4d3c256e0d0a765d9ceee0.pngYou know at the end of the day... making your own Beer... running your own little Nano-Brewery -- whether pushing AG and Kegs -- or doing great Coopers KnK and Bottling or Partials... it is all good, and it is Art just there, making something good out of simple ingredients that you and yours can enjoy... a beautiful thing.

You know even an empty glass can sometimes look good... something to learn in life I guess? 🙃

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ha Ha IP - it could mean you are a P...p... but other than that you just get extremely thirsty 🤣

Haha yeah I was thinking about: glass half empty - glass half full - people...

But what about Glass completely EMPTY...  well if it was AG on Tap or great KnK beautiful full bodied magnificent Beer that then painted the inside of the glass with lovely lacing... and that you enjoyed every ml... well an empty glass can be something positive I guess ?

Maybe I am clutching at straws but I do think there is something there... or maybe I am just a loony tune.... but somehow there is some art there yeah. 

image.thumb.png.da5e0f1a18dc3c55f7086e41a7edb39d.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Haha yeah I was thinking about: glass half empty - glass half full - people...

But what about Glass completely EMPTY...  well if it was AG on Tap or great KnK beautiful full bodied magnificent Beer that then painted the inside of the glass with lovely lacing... and that you enjoyed every ml... well an empty glass can be something positive I guess ?

Maybe I am clutching at straws but I do think there is something there... or maybe I am just a loony tune...

You could be onto something IP.  An empty glass can be a thing of beauty.  It can be a sign of

• A drinker who enjoyed the beer that was in the glass
  • A drinker who wants another beer
  • An opportunity for filling it with a different beer
  • Like 3

One of those little quiet achievers waiting around in a bottle for that important time when they are needed most.

If I have a bit more brew than a keg volume and a bottle waiting to be filled -- then in the future they can be useful  ; )

This might be a relic of Ol' 55 Ale... nice creamy brew ; )

image.thumb.png.bf0ebe0674396daf3b953bf992dd6f54.png

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

One of those little quiet achievers waiting around in a bottle for that important time when they are needed most.

If I have a bit more brew than a keg volume and a bottle waiting to be filled -- then in the future they can be useful  ; )

This might be a relic of Ol' 55 Ale... nice creamy brew ; )

image.thumb.png.bf0ebe0674396daf3b953bf992dd6f54.png

Sneaky !!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

Wow - great photography and music and timing of the changing images!

I agree Jenny, I am thinking & I am sure others have but I think it's about time we saw some photos of your achievements, what are we  brew # 5 I think, come on girl get the camera out & give us a butcher's. 🤔

@Classic Brewing Co, I will be very eager to post a glamour shot of my beer when I have something to boast about! I have just started drinking my Brew no. 5; a Coopers Real Ale with extract, brew enhancer and no extras. Unfortunately the taste is not off, but not very appealing, and the head is practically non-existent😢. I may have made a boo-boo adding the sugar with a slightly damp scoop, so most bottles got less sugar than a full dose.

However, on the brighter side, I'm just about to bottle Brew no. 6; a Woolworths Lager. When I checked the SG yesterday, the warm flat beer tasted quite yummy, with a 'pear' taste. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Coopers Real Ale with extract, brew enhancer and no extras

Try Same Coops Real Ale Can and add as well - a can of Coopers Liquid Amber Malt plus half a box of BE2 or #3 and see how that goes hopefully brewing at around 18-20 deg C  if possible - maybe that might be an opportunity?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

@Classic Brewing Co, I will be very eager to post a glamour shot of my beer when I have something to boast about! I have just started drinking my Brew no. 5; a Coopers Real Ale with extract, brew enhancer and no extras. Unfortunately the taste is not off, but not very appealing, and the head is practically non-existent😢. I may have made a boo-boo adding the sugar with a slightly damp scoop, so most bottles got less sugar than a full dose.

However, on the brighter side, I'm just about to bottle Brew no. 6; a Woolworths Lager. When I checked the SG yesterday, the warm flat beer tasted quite yummy, with a 'pear' taste. 

@jennyss all good, without sounding like a broken record & trying to be a know all, if you remember I & others have said to you with the basic Coopers kits i.e. Pale Ale/Real Ale to get a decent body/mouthfeel & more importantly a decent lasting head on your beer you need to add at least 500gm of Light Dried Malt/Extract to your recipe. I have been brewing this style for many years & always done this even to the point where I boiled/steeped grain for more enhancement.

The basic kit is designed to give the raw beginner a chance to produce an acceptable home brew & that's what it will always be so by adding the extra fermentables you are taking it to the next level. 

When I do a k & k brew these days I just bypass BE1 & 2 & go straight for BE3 with the exception of a paler lager style beer but ALWAYS add an extra 500gm of malt - not sugar - not dextrose.

Give it a go & I am sure we will see some photos of a lingering head.

BTW if it wasn't for the great people on this forum I would still be drinking a beer that looked like a glass of Sherry. All the best.

• Like 2