Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As Pale Man says, Tone, I use it for pH adjustment.  Brewfather's water calculator seems to get the pH right when using Acidulated Malt to adjust pH.  However, I sometimes use Lactic Acid.  If I use the amount that Brewfather tells me to use, my mash pH drops lower than the calculation.

Does it make a difference to get your pH between 5.2 and 5.5?  Supposedly so.  My beers taste fine, but I have never done a side by side of a Acidulated treated batch and a non-treated batch. 

Thanks Shamus and @Pale Man 

As I’m a partial masher it is probably less important as the kit (which is at least half the fermentables) has been mashed at the correct pH already. I might still give it a try though and halve the amount to 100g. 

There’s a grain I can get called “sour grapes” - I think this might be similar to acidulated?

Interesting to note that a stout doesn’t need it, I guess because the darker grains lower the pH anyway….mmm or maybe another reason.

As I say I haven’t mucked around with pH yet, and haven’t bothered with water additions either, though  think that’s more through not really understanding rather than laziness. I guess if I was all grain I would be more motivated (or as people like to say these days “incentivized”) to venture down that path…

Cheers for the info guys 🍻✌️

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

As I’m a partial masher it is probably less important as the kit (which is at least half the fermentables) has been mashed at the correct pH already. I might still give it a try though and halve the amount to 100g. 

There’s a grain I can get called “sour grapes” - I think this might be similar to acidulated?

Interesting to note that a stout doesn’t need it, I guess because the darker grains lower the pH anyway….mmm or maybe another reason.

As I say I haven’t mucked around with pH yet, and haven’t bothered with water additions either, though  think that’s more through not really understanding rather than laziness. I guess if I was all grain I would be more motivated (or as people like to say these days “incentivized”) to venture down that path…

I am sneaking up on this water thing gradually as I still have enough to learn with AG & the BF app & to me my beers taste fine but I understand there would be a difference if these procedures were put in place.

For now I fill FV's with Pura Tap water & leave uncovered overnight to help with the chlorine removal & it seems to be acceptable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Exactly right about the kits, Tone. Already made at the right pH. Same with extract tins and dry extract.  If doing a partial mash with more than 2kg of grains adding 100g of Acidulated Malt is a good idea.

Sour Grapes, by Gladfield I think, is the same as Acidulated.

You are right about dark grains in stouts having a higher pH than Pale grain. Therefore the dark brews do not usually need added acid.

I do not really understand water additions either. I just add what Brewfather tells me to.  

• Like 3

Pale ale with galaxy, cascade, el dorado…it’s getting better with age, unlike the brewer. Started off a little harsh bitter but soooo much better now

B723AE0B-F234-487A-81CD-FDFF1F4C9E35.jpeg.60cc9f9ef84f6117ca06e3234993da44.jpeg

And then the BEST STOUT EVER MADE (by me, I’ve only made 2 😂

Man this is really good. Put oats in this one. This could be love 7FC1FCFF-4B34-47FD-B248-F41CA79E9E74.jpeg.9e3c218a958bd44a369b0ba2367f68a7.jpeg💕 

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Pale ale with galaxy, cascade, el dorado…it’s getting better with age, unlike the brewer. Started off a little harsh bitter but soooo much better now

Man this is really good. Put oats in this one. This could be love 7FC1FCFF-4B34-47FD-B248-F41CA79E9E74.jpeg.9e3c218a958bd44a369b0ba2367f68a7.jpeg💕 

So what was the Recipe or the link to brew day?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Awesome mate, well done, they look great.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

Samuel Adams Boston lager clone I did recently. Very nice and due to a beer shortage here this is from only 4 days in the keg. I am quite amazed at the clarity in such a short time. There were no kettle finings and it was commando hopped in the pressure fermenter, that caused problems when it was close transferred to the keg. Cold crashed for 2.5 days before the transfer to the keg. Lovely noble hop influence from the Hallertauer Mittelfrüh and Tettnang hops.

sabl1e.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Both look awesome mate......Might have to try a stout.

• Like 1

This is the Kegland FWK fresh cube 3 lager which I had previously complained about being harsh and bitter at 6 weeks in the keg. Another 6 weeks on and it's really balanced out . There were no hop additions during the ferment so it's a bit bland - tastes like a tap beer at the pub. 

The second double batch I've done with this one is about 8 weeks in kegs at the moment. I added a 50 gram dry hop of POR to this lot so I will wait to see what it comes up like.

290713603_592018429004019_7655908490487214346_n.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Samuel Adams Boston lager clone I did recently. Very nice and due to a beer shortage here this is from only 4 days in the keg. I am quite amazed at the clarity in such a short time. There were no kettle finings and it was commando hopped in the pressure fermenter, that caused problems when it was close transferred to the keg. Cold crashed for 2.5 days before the transfer to the keg. Lovely noble hop influence from the Hallertauer Mittelfrüh and Tettnang hops.

sabl1e.jpg

Looks sensational Kmar mate well done 👍 so clear too…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

After yesterdays little adjustment I have poured an acceptable beer from the tap, 8 days in the keg, I had it on 10psi for 7 days & 24 hours ago whacked it up to 25psi. I have just turned it back to serving pressure & now I can have a few beers 😋 This is a Real Ale, fairly basic but very drinkable.

Cheers

Phil

757271942_REALSLENO2KEG29062022.thumb.jpg.ed66a6728f6fbf9396aadc2d29dea784.jpg

Looking good Phil! You got the pouring right too 👍

I’m having some issues with the head on mine, between the beer line length and not regulating the pressure consistently it’s all over the place 😳

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:30 AM, Aussiekraut said:

The Rice Lager is now nicely lagered and is very nice. It smells good, is crystal clear and is very tasty. 

9FCD4D62-8E5E-4805-9B2A-17B4D85B5F86.jpeg

Wow! Amazing clarity! I just got some of the Japanese hops (Sorachi I think), should try it out. Have to get temperature control for the lagers though

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Both look brilliant mate! I should tap into my Guinness clone kegs, about a month old or so

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kmar92 said:

sabl1e.jpg

That clarity came from the cold crashing? Impressive! Did you ferment at lager temperature? My first attempt was disappointing it I’ll get there 

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

This is the Kegland FWK fresh cube 3 lager which I had previously complained about being harsh and bitter at 6 weeks in the keg. Another 6 weeks on and it's really balanced out . There were no hop additions during the ferment so it's a bit bland - tastes like a tap beer at the pub. 

The second double batch I've done with this one is about 8 weeks in kegs at the moment. I added a 50 gram dry hop of POR to this lot so I will wait to see what it comes up like.

290713603_592018429004019_7655908490487214346_n.jpg

Looks good enough mate 👍

Good and clear, that’s for sure 

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Looking good Phil! You got the pouring right too 👍

I’m having some issues with the head on mine, between the beer line length and not regulating the pressure consistently it’s all over the place 😳

Cheers mate, I am having a lot of fun with the new set-up, it's very hard to stop pouring out of them - I think I need bigger keg's !!

• Haha 2