Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

31 minutes ago, interceptor said:

It's Not a Pilsner @Aussiekraut >> M54 yeast, Pale malt. 100g saaz and yummy!

PXL_20220622_063218230.thumb.jpg.78538179d547dca9019555b086321aa5.jpg

What temp was this done at? Thinking about 18C for the Clayton's Lager. How much of the Saaz did you use? I'm not sure about the hops just yet. I'm thinking about using Mosaic. Will see. You didn't lager it I presume?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

13 days and your drinking, Amazing

please hold a few back to see how they are after 5-6 weeks.

13 days?  No, eight days!   I'll likely have a good number of bottles left in weeks to come as I have several other batches on the go as well, however I do think the hop presence in this one, like so many will have probably faded somewhat by then.  Right now though I'm quite impressed, and to be honest quite surprised and even puzzeled at how good it is presenting at such a young age - three days in the bottle and VERY drinkable - pretty much unheard of!  I know what 'green' beer tastes like and on this occasion there's absolutely no hint of those raw undeveloped flavours.    I actually shared these first two bottles with my beer-loving daughter who's visiting from Brissy (haven't seen her for over 3 years!) and she voted it #1 of the four brews I currently have on hand.   Of course I can't take all the credit as it is a partial mash based on a kit beer....    🤓   But the main point is the speed in which it has reached maturity, and I'm thinking that's all about the Kveik.    Perfect yeast for the impatient brewer! 🤪

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

13 days?  No, eight days!   I'll likely have a good number of bottles left in weeks to come as I have several other batches on the go as well, however I do think the hop presence in this one, like so many will have probably faded somewhat by then.  Right now though I'm quite impressed, and to be honest quite surprised and even puzzeled at how good it is presenting at such a young age - three days in the bottle and VERY drinkable - pretty much unheard of!  I know what 'green' beer tastes like and on this occasion there's absolutely no hint of those raw undeveloped flavours.    I actually shared these first two bottles with my beer-loving daughter who's visiting from Brissy (haven't seen her for over 3 years!) and she voted it #1 of the four brews I currently have on hand.   Of course I can't take all the credit as it is a partial mash based on a kit beer....    🤓   But the main point is the speed in which it has reached maturity, and I'm thinking that's all about the Kveik.    Perfect yeast for the impatient brewer! 🤪

I meant from beginning to drinking, Mix in fermenter to drinking in glass.

I'm still Amazed, would mean a lot of heating for me but If no beer to drink.. I'd be giving this a go.

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I meant from beginning to drinking, Mix in fermenter to drinking in glass.

Yeah...  that was EIGHT days.   Brew day was day 1, first drink day was day 8. 

I heated the fermenter in my temp-controlled fermentation fridge.  Nothing flash but I am able to get the temps up to 38-40ºC (just) which is actually the upper end of the range for Kveik Voss yeast.   Fermentaion is done in a day and a half.  I then cold crash down to 1ºC which takes another day.   I then add geletine and give it, in this case another day... (though more often several days) and then bottled.  Pours crystal clear and well-carbed after three warm days in the bottle.  🤓

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I heated the fermenter in my temp-controlled fermentation fridge.  Nothing flash but I am able to get the temps up to 38-40ºC (just) which is actually the upper end of the range for Kveik Voss yeast.   Fermentaion is done in a day and a half.  I then cold crash down to 1ºC which takes another day.   I then add geletine and give it, in this case another day... (though more often several days) and then bottled.  Pours crystal clear and well-carbed after three warm days in the bottle.  🤓

You have done well Grasshopper.

I agree with Kveik, it is awesome, I haven't done what you did but I have had excellent results with it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Oh My God,

thanks for the clarification.

that is even more amazing 

It may not be for me at this point but I'm sure there are people who will utilise this method/feature using Kveik

Could this become the norm for You?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Oh My God,

thanks for the clarification.

that is even more amazing 

It may not be for me at this point but I'm sure there are people who will utilise this method/feature using Kveik

Could this become the norm for You?

Mate I'm so doing this in summer... Amazing. Don't have temp control

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Northern Brewer Porter. Only make this once sometimes twice a year and this is the first pour of version 2022. Awesome beer. Have made a few porters with other hop combinations but IMO you can't beat an all Northern Brewer hopped porter. 

20220622_194305.jpg

Looks good mate I just finished a Stout with Northern Brewer it was nice 👍. I just kegged a hazelnut Porter yesterday can’t wait to try it used super pride in that one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You didn't lager it I presume?

18° then up to 20° to finish.

Cold crashed only because fermentation was doen and I didn't have an empty keg.

50 saaz in the boil and 50 at flameout.

It's a really nice beer.

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I just kegged a hazelnut Porter yesterday

Nice... essence or nuts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, interceptor said:

18° then up to 20° to finish.

Cold crashed only because fermentation was doen and I didn't have an empty keg.

50 saaz in the boil and 50 at flameout.

It's a really nice beer.

Nice... essence or nuts?

Nuts roasted in the oven and added to the mash. Can taste them in the samples🍻

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Kveik Voss Dark Ale:  Brew day -> Bottle-> Glass in eight days!  And it's tasting great!

After previously concluding that voss-fermented beers don't bottle condition any quicker than beers fermented with other strains this brew has proven me completely wrong.  This beer was fermented at 38ºC, cold-crashed, gelatine-fined and then bottled on day 5.  I put a few bottles aside in my fermentation fridge and kept them nice and warm.  The pets were very firm by day 8 at which point I chilled them down and served.  This is one of my favourite brews of 2022, really nice creamy head and mouth feel, nicely balanced and largely a fluke with regard to the recipe. Built on a Lion DA can, paired with Gladfield ale and munich malts a dosed with 25g each of Bramling Cross and Sticklebract hops.   

BlackLion.jpg

Hey Sandman, is this a new development? 
I remember you having trouble on the slow bottle carbonation with Kveik…are you now getting better results by letting the bottles carbonate at warmer temps? How warm?

Or are you adding fresh kveik at bottling time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Sandman, is this a new development? 
I remember you having trouble on the slow bottle carbonation with Kveik…are you now getting better results by letting the bottles carbonate at warmer temps? How warm?

Or are you adding fresh kveik at bottling time?

Yeah, kveik brews in the past have often been very slow to carbonate and certainly over the cooler months (i.e. now).  I think one of the problems, aside from temperature was the fact that kveik floccs out quite heavily, and that combined with fining meant there was subsequently minimal yeast getting into the bottles.  I had wondered about adding extra yeast at bottling but frankly can't be bothered with the extra step!  More recently, and especially now we're into Winter I've instead taken to loading an entire batch of bottles into my fermentation fridge and warming them up to 25 - 30ºC.  They seem to carb up pretty quick then.  On this occasion there was actually a fermenter full of red wine sitting at 25ºC in there so I just put in a few bottles from this batch along side that for a few days.  And, as mentioned, those PET's were quite firm after just three days.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

Coopers Australian XPA clone. Pluto gun runs frothy, maybe need a 3m line. Dunno really, but the beer is blaardy good

1D68B3A9-6C53-4617-987B-8CB67FA3B2B2.jpeg

The first pour the lines would be warm also if out of the fridge causing froth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

The first pour the lines would be warm also if out of the fridge causing froth!

@stquinto Sainter - agree w RD @RDT2 on this one...

And just for reference - I have always used 3.5m and 5mm ID lines... that's what Jezza from CPB put me onto from day one...

I only use those SS Pluto Guns...  well besides my one Stouty-tap 👍

But all the kit does live inside the Chest Freezer so are all pretty well chilled.

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

beer is blaardy good

Might be a bit frothy but looks pretty nice all the same mate!

It's way too dark!  😲

This was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada PA inspired brew but something has gone seriously wrong with regard to the colour.  It's a simple grain bill, a partial mash comprising a Lion draught tin and Gladfield Ale malt with some of their Redback malt (9%) and Sour Grapes (acidulated malt) instead of medium crystal which I believe is used in the SNPA.  Further bittered and flavoured with a good dose of Cascade hops. 

This should have turned out a golden/orange colour - around 14EBC!  This is more like 25EBC.  Now, the beer itself tastes very good, no complaints there at all, but it's not the beer I intended so I am wondering why the colour is so far off and the flavour profile, though nice enough not what I was expecting?  It's certainly not oxidised, and there's no reason why it would be.  I don't think I scorched the extract when I added it at the end of the boil 🤔   I am also getting some obvious caramel notes on the flavour which I don't think is coming from the Redback malt  - so could this be a grain bill error??  I think so!  I reckon the brew store has messed up.  And, I'm actually thinking that instead of 100g of Sour Grapes they've maybe mistakenly put in 100g of Shepherds Delight - a kind of ultra dark crystal malt.  This tastes and looks more like an Amber Ale to me.   

CascadePA_Jun2022.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4

Mountain Mid Mud - with some Rye, Wheat and Veloria, tiny bit of Choc... Styrian Goldings 🙂

Amazing really... tastes like a full bodied Ale but with no ABV wallop...  it is possible it seems 😆

image.thumb.png.7d9d1d3ed74bd4c32a69d7a09f159886.png

• Like 5