Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

So I conducted an experiment after watching several videos on using old and out of date kits.
The missus bought me an out of date by like 2.5 years Coopers Dark Ale kit that was marked as a clearance sale a while back from Big W or Woolies for $5.35 and I thought well I have a 6 year old sealed kilo bag of LDME that has set like a bag of old cement, let's see what happens.

I used a hammer on the malt bag, opened the can of old goo that looked/smelled fine and threw a fresh Coopers yeast form an APA kit into it then fermented it about 21C for two weeks.

I tried a bottle today at just shy of three weeks old and it is bloody good, very tasty, with a nice frothy head, no off flavors no nothing bad at all. I think it tastes better than my APA kit brew done with 1kg fresh LDME and US-05, well I'll be...

I put some more in the fridge tonight, I'll try to grab a pic' tomorrow 🙂

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@PintsAtMeLocal ill have to try another one then but my centennial hop tea disappeared within 2 weeks. It was way to sweet for me  so tin must use crystal malt. If next one to sweet I'll tip it 20 longnecks to make way for my hoppy Canadian blonde with Coops ale yeast.

Does look.good though same as mine but can't get over sweetness 

Yeah 200% mate I'm with u. It's odd and I'm craving that bitter bite

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Oh well, six more and I can use all of the swingies for a Black Sheep ale

When I was in Yorkshire UK three Christmases ago they were selling a lot of pints of Black Sheep Ale at local pub. I had never heard of it before and believe it was fairly new at the time. I didn't try any.  Are you brewing it yourself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Frosty Chop said:

So I conducted an experiment after watching several videos on using old and out of date kits.
The missus bought me an out of date by like 2.5 years Coopers Dark Ale kit that was marked as a clearance sale a while back from Big W or Woolies for $5.35 and I thought well I have a 6 year old sealed kilo bag of LDME that has set like a bag of old cement, let's see what happens.

I used a hammer on the malt bag, opened the can of old goo that looked/smelled fine and threw a fresh Coopers yeast form an APA kit into it then fermented it about 21C for two weeks.

I tried a bottle today at just shy of three weeks old and it is bloody good, very tasty, with a nice frothy head, no off flavors no nothing bad at all. I think it tastes better than my APA kit brew done with 1kg fresh LDME and US-05, well I'll be...

I put some more in the fridge tonight, I'll try to grab a pic' tomorrow 🙂

Here's the pic of what cost me almost nothing to make. Yummo 🙂

DarkAle.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

When I was in Yorkshire UK three Christmases ago they were selling a lot of pints of Black Sheep Ale at local pub. I had never heard of it before and believe it was fairly new at the time. I didn't try any.  Are you brewing it yourself.

Yes mate, I've got an AG on the go. Black Sheep has been around a while (1993 according to the internet) - it is made by one of the Theakston family (as in Old Peculier) when Theakston's Brewery was sold off to a mega-brewing group, but they bought it back. Quite an interesting story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, iBooz2 said:

Mitch do you pressure ferment your lagers? 

I find now with the 58 L Kegmenter mine are usually slightly carbed and foam up too much when I try to filter them into the keg.  I might have to de-gas the Kegmenter overnight then keg via the filter next time as I find the filter induces a lot of foam in the transfer.

Hey mate, sorry for the late reply. Been flat out. 

Nar no presssure fermenting for me at all. 

just spit ballin, have you tried putting a decent whack of pressure on the fermenter and using a spundig valve on the keg. Might be a bit more controlled. Although the issue is probably the nucleation points in the filter it’s self…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Cannot claim that crystal clarity like me Dubbya Bro @MitchBastard Mitchie but the "Larger" is still a lovely refreshing drop and has cleared up from earlier with time in the cold keggler.  Bit hard to keep condensation off the glass with more rain this summer 🥳

image.thumb.png.8fd0e63a7fb422190c702c68e0657041.png

Looks a beaut mate! How’s those bubbles. Perfecto

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:38 PM, iBooz2 said:

I reckon our Mitchie mate filters his in the big filter at work after hours ha ha. 😉   I have one of the KK filters and have only done ales with it and it works a treat but not as clear as Mitchies lager.  I did a True Blue Pale Ale via the filter and was hoping to make it last at least 4 weeks in the keg to see if it cleared up a bit more but alas some bugger drank it all too soon ha ha.😂

Yours look superb IP so I would not be knocking that beer, nothing wrong with were its at. 👌

Haha no filter at the big office. It would be a travesty to filter Belgian beers. Almost fight worthy. 

The KL filters do work great however I do strongly advocate for hot side chilling also. After the boil, chill that bad boy asap.

• Like 4

Landlord clone, on tap with the keg outside the fridge, in the garage @ 11 degrees).

With the line at 6 m it’s pouring ok, I should probably shorten it a bit.
Bloody murky though, but then again I dry hopped the keg so there’s bound to be some gunk in it. Not that there are any hops left, really is just malty. 
Still got 3/4 of the damned keg to go 😥

4D0CD31D-1671-4C5E-AB03-D46AD739E9DB.jpeg

0351316D-6EFC-49F9-8F18-3B5354B83929.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Landlord clone, on tap with the keg outside the fridge, in the garage @ 11 degrees).

With the line at 6 m it’s pouring ok, I should probably shorten it a bit.
Bloody murky though, but then again I dry hopped the keg so there’s bound to be some gunk in it. Not that there are any hops left, really is just malty. 
Still got 3/4 of the damned keg to go 😥

Looks nice Stquinta, good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Run outta cylinder gas... ran out of archived tallies... what to do... goodness what about that other device!?!

The Bulbs of gas w mini regulator:

had them  for  ages...

image.thumb.png.c4a711a291b0aadda3ee16879ac7db99.png

And good Post n Rail IPA results ; )

image.thumb.png.94120e3bbb49f547820bd840f3519b7b.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Second taste test of my CIPA - Collaboration IPA.  It's just two weeks in the keg and has now carbed up nicely and is starting to clear just that little bit.  Still loving it but for now I will put it aside for another week and try it again then.

CIPA Taste test 2 weeks in the keg - resized.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Run outta cylinder gas... ran out of archived tallies... what to do... goodness what about that other device!?!

had them  for  ages...

Nice look brew IP !

I've got one of those picnic guns too, in metal they are nice and solid. Also a similar setup but for a SodaStream bottle. Useful if you are out and about or run out of the biggie. Out of interest, which gas do you use for your stouts ? Pure nitro or a blend ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

had them  for  ages...

Good job mate, they are good in a pinch 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Second taste test of my CIPA - Collaboration IPA.  It's just two weeks in the keg and has now carbed up nicely and is starting to clear just that little bit.  Still loving it but for now I will put it aside for another week and try it again then.

Looks the business Al, great work, Cheers.

• Like 2