Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

40 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Classic Brewing Co for what it is worth I just tend to fast carb rather than buggerising around slow carbing. I find that 40psi for 18-24 hours gives me the carbonation level that I like. All over and done with in a day. Unless you are ageing a beer in the keg I do not see any point in the slow approach really. Even if you are ageing in the keg just fast carbing it still works well.

I have slow carbed and I am usually unimpressed with the carbonation level after having the keg on serving pressure for a week or so.

and does that get the best out of your beer, i dont think it does  

some beers are good for that, but alot off our beers need  conditioning even if carbonated under co2

you want great beer you need to be patient..

pick your beers for fast carb and for your best condition them to give justice 

sorry kmar poor advice ,  your happy , but are others happy fast carbing and finding out the hard way 

fast carbing you will never get the best out of ya beer

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's pretty normal with dark beers in my experience. I managed to get a powerful torch to shine through a porter or stout I'd brewed a while back and it had a burgundy tinge to it. 

wasnt knocking , i just found it interesting  that pic..

i could see the intention in the beer

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

and does that get the best out of your beer, i dont think it does  

some beers are good for that, but alot off our beers need  conditioning even if carbonated under co2

you want great beer you need to be patient..

pick your beers for fast carb and for your best condition them to give justice 

sorry kmar poor advice ,  your happy , but are others happy fast carbing and finding out the hard way 

fast carbing you will never get the best out of ya beer

Carbing beer is just that, fast or slow you are just dissolving CO2 in beer so I do not understand how doing it at different speeds makes much difference. The aim is to dissolve CO2 in the beer, the speed that you do that makes little difference to the taste.

Just now, kmar92 said:

Carbing beer is just that, fast or slow you are just dissolving CO2 in beer so I do not understand how doing it at different speeds makes much difference. The aim is to dissolve CO2 in the beer, the speed that you do that makes little difference to the taste.

your over carbing and hoping for the best when you burp the keg

set and forget , yes it maybe  underdone   but you increase  by 1 increment to get the desired level if need by not over carbing

its easier to add then decrease   in carbonation.

your guessing when you carbonate to 40 psi and bringing it to say serving psi

i would rather increase then try to decrease

i'm not saying dont do it ,   you put the time to brew and ferment why not in conditioning

by the way i have never seen perfect  beer in doing it 40psi over night.

its a game charger because people can be drinking in 24 hours of fermentation

it can be quicker now  because of pressure fermentation

i believe in the turtle rather then the hair in brewing

If you do it properly it doesn't over carb the beer. It might take a bit of trial and error initially but it's pretty easy not to muck it up. When I do it, the beer is usually a little underdone at the end of the high pressure period, and another day on serving pressure it's pretty much there. I do this deliberately to avoid over carbing it. 

I agree with Kmar on this one, the speed of carbonation makes no difference to the taste. If you do it overnight then leave the keg for a week or so before drinking any, it'll still taste the same as leaving it for a week or so on serving pressure. 

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

If you do it properly it doesn't over carb the beer. It might take a bit of trial and error initially but it's pretty easy not to muck it up. When I do it, the beer is usually a little underdone at the end of the high pressure period, and another day on serving pressure it's pretty much there. I do this deliberately to avoid over carbing it. 

I agree with Kmar on this one, the speed of carbonation makes no difference to the taste. If you do it overnight then leave the keg for a week or so before drinking any, it'll still taste the same as leaving it for a week or so on serving pressure. 

You all know I am new to kegging but even my short time with having this beer on 10psi for 8 days, I can tell it's getting better each day.

So I concur Otto.

• Like 1

Hi, I tried to achieve a clone of Stella Artois/Heineken, but Ale. Used 2 k palé Ale, carapils, AND Saaz Hops....

Not only looks great,but also keeps the foam AND tardes great. AND it tastes very similar to those....

Regards!!!

IMG_20220515_120427056~2.jpg

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You all know I am new to kegging but even my short time with having this beer on 10psi for 8 days, I can tell it's getting better each day.

So I concur Otto.

Yep, I always notice improvement the longer they stay on tap too, but it doesn't make any difference which way I carbonate them, it's the time that's key. If stuff would stop getting in the way of brew days the kegs could have a bit of conditioning before they even get in the kegerator. My plan is to brew the next couple once the fermenters have been emptied into kegs but it never seems to work out at the moment. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep, I always notice improvement the longer they stay on tap too, but it doesn't make any difference which way I carbonate them, it's the time that's key. If stuff would stop getting in the way of brew days the kegs could have a bit of conditioning before they even get in the kegerator. My plan is to brew the next couple once the fermenters have been emptied into kegs but it never seems to work out at the moment. 

Well considering that it takes at least 2 weeks before you can try a beer made k & k method, it's seems to me that at least a week on the gas would seem a similar comparison. I find that with k & k brews, the longer you leave them the better but as we all know by then they are all gone 😂 

Last night I had my first taste of Brew No. 4, three weeks after bottling. It is another Coopers Pale Ale made according to instructions with BE No.2. The taste is quite dry, or bitter, but not thin or weak, and definitely not off. (I'm still struggling with describing beer taste!)I like the taste; but my husband still says "It tastes like home brew" lol!

It tastes very similar to my Brew No. 3. I want consistency before I get more adventurous. However, I am thinking of trying a Coopers Real Ale. Any comments on the flavour of beer made with this extract? I'm thinking it might have a bit more 'oomph'. 

I'll stick to using sugar instead of the carbonation drops.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am thinking of trying a Coopers Real Ale.

Hard to go Wrong with this Can, one of my favourites.

I like to keep it simple. 23L brew, up or down to your liking

1 Kilo of Light Dry Malt

200-300g Dextrose and same of White Sugar

25-30g of Hops as a tea in the mix. 

Gives a Strong Flavour (for K&K brew) without the strong ABV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well considering that it takes at least 2 weeks before you can try a beer made k & k method, it's seems to me that at least a week on the gas would seem a similar comparison. I find that with k & k brews, the longer you leave them the better but as we all know by then they are all gone 😂 

Yeah of course, my point originally though was that you could carbonate it overnight and still leave it for a week or so before drinking it, and it won't taste any different to carbonating it on serving pressure for the same week or so. 

46 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Last night I had my first taste of Brew No. 4, three weeks after bottling. It is another Coopers Pale Ale made according to instructions with BE No.2. The taste is quite dry, or bitter, but not thin or weak, and definitely not off. (I'm still struggling with describing beer taste!)I like the taste; but my husband still says "It tastes like home brew" lol!

It tastes very similar to my Brew No. 3. I want consistency before I get more adventurous. However, I am thinking of trying a Coopers Real Ale. Any comments on the flavour of beer made with this extract? I'm thinking it might have a bit more 'oomph'. 

I'll stick to using sugar instead of the carbonation drops.  

Hi Jenny,

I am drinking a Coopers Real Ale ATM, it is one of my regular brews, I did keg it but there are a few bottles as well.

I find the following to give the best result.

1 x Can Real Ale

BE 3

Coopers Light Dried Malt

The supplied Ale yeast is OK but it is worth trying US-05/Kveik/Nottingham - all good Ale yeasts.

Hops are entirely up to you but my regulars are Pride of Ringwood/Galaxy/Amarillo/Hallertau

Personally I wouldn't ever use Dextrose or White Sugar in my brew as it tends to thin out, sweeten & bang up the ABV.

I find this method of mixing the ingredients the best:

Add all Brew Enhancers/Malts etc to the empty FV, pour in a large jug or at least 2 litres of COLD Water

( I have a 5l jug from the LHBS )

Mix thoroughly & keep adding with cold water with a jug of boiled water on stand by, mix in your can of extract rinsing with hot water to clean the can entirely.

I keep adding the cold water until I am able to get a thermometer reading on the black strip & try to get it to around 24c for pitching your yeast.

I must stress I stir vigorously until I can see all contents are dissolved ( it won't matter if they are not as the yeast will fix that up )

Take a reading with the hydrometer before adding the yeast, should be around 1.048-1.044.

Pitch your yeast & close FV - that's it, others may have a different method but this has never failed for me.

Attached a couple of different brews.

Cheers

Phil

20220510_172148.thumb.jpg.c4e9ba1a903eaf3d98a1f112360b56ca.jpg

20220516_093859.jpg

20220516_093918.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah of course, my point originally though was that you could carbonate it overnight and still leave it for a week or so before drinking it, and it won't taste any different to carbonating it on serving pressure for the same week or so. 

Yeah I agree, I have another mate that force carbs & is drinking the beer in 24-48 hours, as you say it doesn't taste any different.

7 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Classic Brewing CoThanks for the clear and detailed step by step method.  I can follow that - I will give it a go!

All good, I should have mentioned, sometimes I use Light Liquid Malt Extract Ikg minimum instead of the Light Dry Malt but it will darken the beer slightly & have a maltyier taste but excellent for head retention & body.  Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Personally I wouldn't ever use Dextrose or White Sugar in my brew as it tends to thin out, sweeten & bang up the ABV.

Point taken @Classic Brewing Co, thanks for the input and for sharing some of your recipes. 

I still have so much to learn, love the process and the help.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Point taken @Classic Brewing Co, thanks for the input and for sharing some of your recipes. 

I still have so much to learn, love the process and the help.

It looks like the old Brewing Diary will be retiring as have started another for AG Brewing.

Lot's of recipes & memories in there but I needed a new challenge.

Cheers.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 7:48 PM, kmar92 said:

Yeah same here for me in Northern NSW. We have not had big rainfall totals but it does rain everyday and I am totally over it. My front lawn is now just a swamp actually, the postmen keep getting bogged on their motorcycles getting to the letterbox. I also now have a semi-permanent stream flowing over the driveway as the ground is just so saturated that it will not absorb a drop of water. This has been going on since the floods of March.

Just what we needed, another 24mm of rain here today so far, and it is still pouring!

• Sad 4

23 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Falling Brick Lager

... it's an Aussie Joke 🏴‍☠️

Having a quiet crack at classic Aussie Beers being a bit of a joke in the realms of Real Beer...  so I named my attempt at brewing something in that styles after a classic Aussie Joke... suspect you may have heard the joke but sadly I cannot provide any further information 😜

In actual fact it is way too creamy and full bodied for the style so in the future I will have to add more water and less hops and grain I suspect 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I agree, I have another mate that force carbs

You are force carbing too mate.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, ozdevil said:

conditioning

what is this bit? I am not having a go at you but I don't understand

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

another 24mm of rain

lol... I had 250mm in 24 hours last week.

11 hours ago, jennyss said:

I want consistency before I get more adventurous.

Temperature control is perhaps your only variable?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, interceptor said:

lol... I had 250mm in 24 hours last week.

Wow, if we had that here I think we would be washed away and wouldn't be complaining about the swamp at the front door!

I am really enjoying this pouring a beer out of your own tap, this is day 9 on the CO2 & things are starting to smooth out - it even tastes better, I am being very careful not to drink out of anything bigger than a schooner ( SA 285ml ) but I suppose it comes down to how many. 🤔

Once I get the 4 taps & kegs installed I will have to worry about it even more. 😬

20220517_161743.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am really enjoying this pouring a beer out of your own tap, this is day 9 on the CO2 & things are starting to smooth out - it even tastes better, I am being very careful not to drink out of anything bigger than a schooner ( SA 285ml ) but I suppose it comes down to how many. 🤔

Once I get the 4 taps & kegs installed I will have to worry about it even more. 😬

20220517_161743.jpg

Yes, you do. The downside of not using bottles is that there is no "proof" of the consumption. Smaller glasses are a good start though.

• Haha 2