Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

OK, officially the first pour from the keg, an Coopers Real Ale 7 days @ 10 psi, I must say at first I am slightly underwhelmed mainly to the lack of oomph' & the head, however it tastes like beer & I know with time it will improve.

I am wondering if I should simply leave it longer to mature or should I turn the gas up. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

FIRST POUR FROM THE KEG.jpg

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am wondering if I should simply leave it longer to mature or should I turn the gas up. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Mate you are on a hiding to nowhere here - as you have tasted the nectar - the AG - albeit out of the Flasche.. but all the same it was AG - and now you have gone back to Extract Beer which is very good - but not the same level of excellence as brewed AG from first principles...  and I always did love the Coopers Real Ale when doing KnK

But - may short answer is YES - looks as flat as a tack - turn the Gas up - I am ready for a shellacking but I often run my beer at 18 PSI and my old buddy @Norris! (whom I sadly have not heard from in a while - and anyone - would be great to know if he is ok please help) used to do the same... 

So maybe just give it a bit more gas... get it up at least to 12-14.....

And maybe that old horror - check for leaks... as I do believe you are using those grey plastic connectors not SS crimp fittings... safety first 👍

HTH

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 5

Just now, Itinerant Peasant said:

Mate you are on a hiding to nowhere here - as you have tasted the nectar - the AG - albeit out of the Flasche.. but all the same it was AG - and now you have gone back to Extract Beer which is very good - but not the same level of excellence as brewed AG from first principles...  and I always did love the Coopers Real Ale when doing KnK

But - may short answer is YES - turn the Gas up - I am ready for a shellacking but I often run my beer at 18 PSI and my old buddy @Norris! (whom I sadly have not heard from in a while - and anyone - would be great to know if he is ok please help) used to do the same... 

and realise - you are drinking KnK and not AG out of the keg. 

HTH

That's great info IP &thank you, I agree with everything you said but I think I have jus answered my own question.

The second pour was so different & I realise this was just a k & k however this  will only get better no I see the light. 

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's great info IP &thank you, I agree with everything you said but I think I have jus answered my own question.

The second pour was so different & I realise this was just a k & k however this  will only get better no I see the light. 

Cheers

Phil

I reckon it needs a bit more gas all the same

But the carb level does depend upon your preferences as well

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

The second pour was so different & I realise this was just a k & k however this  will only get better now I see the light. 

Cheers

Phil

20220513_173108.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

But - may short answer is YES - looks as flat as a tack - turn the Gas up - I am ready for a shellacking but I often run my beer at 18 PSI and my old buddy @Norris! (whom I sadly have not heard from in a while - and anyone - would be great to know if he is ok please help) used to do the same... 

And maybe that old horror - check for leaks... as I do believe you are using those grey plastic connectors not SS crimp fittings... safety first 👍

HTH

Cheers Mate, this was only meant to be a fridge filler which it surely is & from now on it will only be AG brews going in kegs as I have been fortunate enough to climb up a rung or two in the wonderful world of home brewing. 

It is people like you offering your expert & valued help & experience that make this adventure truly a great ride.

I too think Norris is a great guy & I have had the pleasure to try his great beers, so come on back mate.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Mate, this was only meant to be a fridge filler which it surely is & from now on it will only be AG brews going in kegs as I have been fortunate enough to climb up a rung or two in the wonderful world of home brewing. 

It is people like you offering your expert & valued help & experience that make this adventure truly a great ride.

I too think Norris is a great guy & I have had the pleasure to try his great beers, so come on back mate.

Cheers

Phil

Well done mate AG and kegging in one go, 🍻🍻🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hasn't yet hit the 2 week mark yet but had to try. 

250g wheat malt

250g crystal

25g centennial for 20min boil

Draught tin with 1kg DME 

40g centennial dry hop

Few more weeks should make a fantastic pint 🍻😊

IMG_20220513_161819.jpg

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 11

On 5/12/2022 at 3:20 PM, BlackSands said:

Getting cold now so to help this voss-fermented brew carbonate I actually loaded the entire batch (bottles) into the fridge and dialled the temp up to a kveik-friendly 35ºC for a few days.  Now given that Kveik strains tend to do everything so much faster than 'normal' strains of yeast I wondered if it would therefore condition in the bottle much quicker and hence be ready to drink much sooner - more in line with kegged beers?  So, after 5 days in bottle the short answer to that theory is "no" !  😄

The beer still has a 'greenness' aspect to it,  not really all that carb'd up yet, and is still a bit hazy (though that could be due to the wheat) and well, it's just not ready yet!  

WWW.jpg

I’ve also wondered if a kviek beer would bottle condition faster. Thanks for doing the work for me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Organising the Beer Dungeon to make space for the 6 cases of of the latest 3 brews to continue conditioning in the dark cold of the dungeon. Still have twelve crates to choose from. Found a whole crate of delicious home made  potent ciders and a crate each of Sinister Chocolate Ale and Sinister Roasted Barley Ale, plus lot’s of other goodies. Labeled all bottles, so no more surprises.

1FAD66B0-2089-4F35-B60A-38428F53F05B.thumb.jpeg.d4810e495c1e0729976c382d34fb1cf4.jpeg2E952E51-18DF-4792-BD3F-6E02D0CA2503.thumb.jpeg.15d592682bf39caa165fb9fadcee227f.jpeg

• Like 6

Okay so this is the Altbier off the Kölle Yeast Cake...  a little over-carbed at this stage - but is drinking nicely - probs would darken it up a little w a little more choc malt but having a look at some net pics it probs is not that far off.... had a few Alties in those lovely small straight glasses in the Hannover Altstadt years ago but that memory is vague and dim haha ; )  So this is the first few pours outta the keg so it should clear up further over time as the little well forms around the offtake tube... 

image.thumb.png.92131c113a10bb9bda3e7b964183765c.png

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Okay so this is the Altbier off the Kölle Yeast Cake...  a little over-carbed at this stage - but is drinking nicely - probs would darken it up a little w a little more choc malt but having a look at some net pics it probs is not that far off.... had a few Alties in those lovely small straight glasses in the Hannover Altstadt years ago but that memory is vague and dim haha ; )  So this is the first few pours outta the keg so it should clear up further over time as the little well forms around the offtake tube... 

Beautiful IP, what a lovely smooth head, nice rural setting for the pic too.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Miserable weather here, but plenty of footy on and probably not plenty of this red ale left in the keg but I have a few IPA cans in the fridge if required

20220514_164429.thumb.jpg.311e5b0dc16bc8fb9380842bf64ac6c1.jpg

Good looking Red Ale..

9 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’ve also wondered if a kviek beer would bottle condition faster. Thanks for doing the work for me 😂

I sampled it again at 7 days (today)...   much better, but not there yet.  Let's see how it stacks up at 10 days  😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Miserable weather here, but plenty of footy on and probably not plenty of this red ale left in the keg but I have a few IPA cans in the fridge if required

20220514_164429.thumb.jpg.311e5b0dc16bc8fb9380842bf64ac6c1.jpg

Snap!  Down to the last few bottles of my Mosaic Amber/Red ... and likewise - weather is bleak here today too.  But I'm guessing it's far more miserable than it is there!  😉  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1