Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

On 4/17/2022 at 7:22 PM, interceptor said:

Legendary!

@Greenyinthewestofsydney Agree muchly w Ceptor and @Tone boy on this Greeny - a truly legendary effort mate!  Great stuff and a really cool little bit of brewing research mate! 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:24 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I think the yeast I got from my experiment is pure saccharomyces cerevisiae with the hopped wort I used.

So if I am not mistaken - are you saying @Greenyinthewestofsydneythat the yeast you ended up with - originally from the source "wild population" sampled via the Wattle - is just our good old friend  Saccharomyces cerevisiae ?

• Like 2

What am I drinking in 2022 (well right now at least)?  NOT homebrew.  It has finally happened.  Brewing beer for everybody else has finally caught up with me and the O'Sean Brewery is dry.  I have no homebrew ready to drink.  My last keg blew last night when I thought it had at least 1.5 litres left. 😢

I have got a Russian Imperial Stout conditioning, but it has only been in the bottle for a week, so probably too early to open.

Also got a Red IPA that I just started to cold crash today.  It will be kegged and ready within a week (although most of it is bound for my brother).

I am doing a 32 litre kit and kilo and 1.5kilo of LME and grains and hops today, but it will be two weeks away before ready (and most of it is for my brother in law).

At least with the cooler weather in Melbourne, I will be able to increase production by fermenting in the garage, using a heat belt to keep the cooler night temperatures at bay.

Anybody got any good suggestions for commercial brews to help get me through the dry period?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What am I drinking in 2022 (well right now at least)?  NOT homebrew.  It has finally happened.  Brewing beer for everybody else has finally caught up with me and the O'Sean Brewery is dry.  I have no homebrew ready to drink.  My last keg blew last night when I thought it had at least 1.5 litres left. 😢

I have got a Russian Imperial Stout conditioning, but it has only been in the bottle for a week, so probably too early to open.

Also got a Red IPA that I just started to cold crash today.  It will be kegged and ready within a week (although most of it is bound for my brother).

I am doing a 32 litre kit and kilo and 1.5kilo of LME and grains and hops today, but it will be two weeks away before ready (and most of it is for my brother in law).

At least with the cooler weather in Melbourne, I will be able to increase production by fermenting in the garage, using a heat belt to keep the cooler night temperatures at bay.

Anybody got any good suggestions for commercial brews to help get me through the dry period?

Coopers Pale Ale/Sparkling Ale would be my No: 1 choice, or maybe duck over te border into SA a pick up a Carton Of West End Draught 🤣 

I am sure Shamus with your experience & wealth of knowledge you will find something to satisfy your habit, I mean thirst 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers XPA Purple Can on special/via price-match is definitely worth trying mate @Shamus O'Sean

As are Coopers Pale, Sparkling, Stout and Dark if you can get on spesh... but u know them anyway.

I think Furphy is not a bad lawnmower type Ale too...

And Paulaner HW in a can if you can get a reasonable price?  Weihenstephan Weizens are pure Gold but exy.

I really like Capital Brewing's Rock Hopper IPA that's lovely but exy too.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Mountain Goat summer ale is one of my favorites. I’ve got a very good recipe for it too if you like it…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I feel for you

Before I started homebrewing my favs where the Japanese,   Sapporo, Kirin and Asahi black and Asahi. ( in this order). Also liked Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout and the good old Coopers Pale Ale( in cans or Long Neck, never liked the stubbies).Never really been into craft beer, but enjoyed Slow Lane's brews in Botany (Sydney) and some of Stockades brews (my son, who put me onto the path of homebrewing worked there before Covid).

• Like 4

Yesterday was my saddest day in my short homebrewing life.

I tipped down six bottles of different brews down the think. After posting pictures of all my delicious brews here I had a really bad day.

After a hard weeks of work I really wanted to have a great drop and I didn't enjoy it. Thinking of all the bottles I have in storage I tipped it down the sink. The next bottle was a volcanic explosion and went down the sink itself. So did bottle number three. Bottles 4,5,6 tasted foul (very sour) and ended up probably some kilometers off Malabar Beach ( that's where the sewage gets pumped out to).

Today after enjoying three more bottles of delicious homebrew I realized that all beers I tasted yesterday where sour, lacking bitterness.

The question is: where I so unlucky and had six infected bottles in the fridge, or where my taste buds off? By the way, they where six different type off brews.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Yesterday was my saddest day in my short homebrewing life.

I tipped down six bottles of different brews down the think. After posting pictures of all my delicious brews here I had a really bad day.

After a hard weeks of work I really wanted to have a great drop and I didn't enjoy it. Thinking of all the bottles I have in storage I tipped it down the sink. The next bottle was a volcanic explosion and went down the sink itself. So did bottle number three. Bottles 4,5,6 tasted foul (very sour) and ended up probably some kilometers off Malabar Beach ( that's where the sewage gets pumped out to).

Today after enjoying three more bottles of delicious homebrew I realized that all beers I tasted yesterday where sour, lacking bitterness.

The question is: where I so unlucky and had six infected bottles in the fridge, or where my taste buds off? By the way, they where six different type off brews.

Is it your water ? Maybe you need to address it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

It’s not the whole brew, it’s one bottle here, one bottle there. I might got to relaxed with sanitising?!

Well as others will tell you, if you have a system that ensures each bottle get's the same treatment, I mean rigorously washing ( if bottles are clean they shouldn't need scrubbing ) but check by looking down the bottle into the light to check for left over residue or yeast that may be clinging, things like this can infect your beer.

You would know what you are doing but this has come up before many times, as soon as the bottle is emptied it should be washed several times, with PETS even shaking up & down with the lid on & then a good rinse & they are ready for sanitising for the next brew.

Even when the bottles are getting sanitised it pays to check inside each bottle before filling. 

Sorry you had to pour some beer but I reckon it is always good to go back to basics to ensure consistency.

All the best with future brews.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well as others will tell you, if you have a system that ensures each bottle get's the same treatment, I mean rigorously washing ( if bottles are clean they shouldn't need scrubbing ) but check by looking down the bottle into the light to check for left over residue or yeast that may be clinging, things like this can infect your beer.

You would know what you are doing but this has come up before many times, as soon as the bottle is emptied it should be washed several times, with PETS even shaking up & down with the lid on & then a good rinse & they are ready for sanitising for the next brew.

Even when the bottles are getting sanitised it pays to check inside each bottle before filling. 

Sorry you had to pour some beer but I reckon it is always good to go back to basics to ensure consistency.

All the best with future brews.

Probably just got too cocky trying to do too much in the same time. I actually follow your steps. Will take extra care now. Haven’t started a new brew since my bout of Covid about five weeks ago ( can’t really remember) but plan to do one this weekend. Got a new can opener to open my extract cans.

Thanks Classic Brewing Co. , I really enjoy brewing and the final products.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions @Classic Brewing Co, @Itinerant Peasant, @Tone boy and @Brauhaus Fritz.  Could only get to a BWS, so options were a bit limited.  Mostly stuck to what was on spesh.  I ended up getting a six pack of:

• Blue Moon White Ale
  • Gage Roads Single Fin
  • John Boston Coastal XPA
  • Furphy Crisp ($10 with the above purchases)

Should keep me going for a few days.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for the suggestions @Classic Brewing Co, @Itinerant Peasant, @Tone boy and @Brauhaus Fritz.  Could only get to a BWS, so options were a bit limited.  Mostly stuck to what was on spesh.  I ended up getting a six pack of:

• Blue Moon White Ale
  • Gage Roads Single Fin
  • John Boston Coastal XPA
  • Furphy Crisp ($10 with the above purchases)

Should keep me going for a few days.

I am surprised you didn't leave Mexico & go down the road into SA & get what I suggested - No I 'm not.

But anyway Shamus you have a drink, Cheers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydney Agree muchly w Ceptor and @Tone boy on this Greeny - a truly legendary effort mate!  Great stuff and a really cool little bit of brewing research mate! 

So if I am not mistaken - are you saying @Greenyinthewestofsydneythat the yeast you ended up with - originally from the source "wild population" sampled via the Wattle - is just our good old friend  Saccharomyces cerevisiae ?

Hey mate. Pretty much. I used hopped wort when I put the wattle flowers in the jars. In hindsight saccharomyces is hop tolerant whereas lactobacillus and brettanomyces and pediococcus which are the other typical wild yeasts are not as hop tolerant. So in effect I think I barred those from my starter by hopping it. The wattle yeast brews and behaves just like any other saccharomyces yeast really. It's not overattenuating either which tells me there is nothing else there. If I had a microscope I could probably confirm it but don't have that equipment. Come july when the wattle comes again I'm gonna try with wort with some debittered hops to try to get something different. The worst I can do is fail 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Can’t believe I have Nitro at home this is unbelievably good just like the pub Guinness , well not far off anyway, so happy 😁 nice and creamy and appear to have the gas worked out!

4834FD0C-F25D-4E87-A94D-32E8312554BA.jpeg

That looks amazing mate! A stout has moved right up my list. I am working near the gas suppliers in a few weeks so will snag a bottle of nitro. It’s a blend, right ? Is your recipe AG ?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

That looks amazing mate! A stout has moved right up my list. I am working near the gas suppliers in a few weeks so will snag a bottle of nitro. It’s a blend, right ? Is your recipe AG ?

Thanks mate initially carbed with co2 then served on Nitro. Really happy with it. Nice glass mate I went to the op shop the other day that had some Guinness glasses didn’t get them, went back again a few days later and they were gone that was a mistake but picked up a nice belgian glass though which made me happy. Now I have to make a Belgian beer 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

Just now, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Spirit of Anzac Ale 

Coopers recipe 

nice bitter ale, feels more than 4%, maybe I am still a bit dusty from yesterday’s birthday party at the Clovelly Bowling Club, lawn bowling, friends and lots of Coopers Pale Ale from the tap, can’t get any better

AF4CD85F-774C-4DE0-B001-42C868350F37.jpeg

Last night leaving the clubB5D7EC2A-CBB0-4B8D-BC2D-09E96F6EBB0A.thumb.jpeg.eca64d44f6c5d1c3bc03de677b07307a.jpeg

• Like 4