Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

15 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I used to live in Rubicon. In Alexandra now though. You would be one the the few people to know about Rubicon, other than those that live up this way 😉. It’s a hidden gem

Long story, I won't bore you 😉 on how I know Rubicon and Rubicon "A" How long you been up that way? It's a beautiful part of the world.  As a kid and in to my teenage years I used to stay up that way in the old SEC commission houses in Rubicon A. Used to ride the cable car up the mountain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Opened a “Mystery Stubby” to enjoy after lunch and what an enjoyment it was.

”Old Conckerwood Black Ale”

6 month old, ABV6.1% of rich, malty, dry bitterness.

Would I brew it again? Absolutely, the kit is waiting in my garage…..

Looking good bloke, if I was able to leave a batch for that long mine would be better too, my, how hard it is.

This too is a Dark Ale just under 4 weeks old but developing a lovely rich flavour. I need to get some Stout going though as these cooler nights are not going anywhere soon. Cheers.

582834118_DARKALE180422.thumb.jpg.0660b4b337fc92dfe402189f92dd5c8f.jpg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looking good bloke, if I was able to leave a batch for that long mine would be better too, my, how hard it is.

This too is a Dark Ale just under 4 weeks old but developing a lovely rich flavour. I need to get some Stout going though as these cooler nights are not going anywhere soon. Cheers.

582834118_DARKALE180422.thumb.jpg.0660b4b337fc92dfe402189f92dd5c8f.jpg

Yeah, I love the dark brews.

When I started brewing a year ago I got really hooked on brewing.In the end I had three fermenters going constantly to the stage that I had about 24 milk crates full of all different types of beer. As I store it in a little room under the stairs ( the famous Beer Dungeon) access is hard and some brews get forgotten in the back, so there is always a surprise lurking. Didn’t start a new brew in the last month to lower my stock. It’s hard, cause I am always sooo curious to taste the result.   And the forgotten bottles as well, ha, ha

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

When I started brewing a year ago I got really hooked on brewing.In the end I had three fermenters going constantly to the stage that I had about 24 milk crates full of all different types of beer. As I store it in a little room under the stairs ( the famous Beer Dungeon) access is hard and some brews get forgotten in the back, so there is always a surprise lurking. Didn’t start a new brew in the last month to lower my stock. It’s hard, cause I am always sooo curious to taste the result.   And the forgotten bottles as well, ha, ha

So do I, I agree they do build up as much as I try to reduce them 🤣 however I kept adding fermenters & ended up with 6 & scored a couple more from deceased & no more interested brewers. It starts to get ridiculous as I have 2 x bottle trees, 3 x bench cappers & boxes of asst gear, I suppose I could have said no 🤔 but then why would I ?

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I have The Beer Cupboard in my garage.

The odd bottle gets left behind sometimes and is found months or years later.
I generally bottle 1 or 2 long necks with each brew and they go on the bottom shelf.
And let's face it who's going to bend down that far to get a beer?

What am I drinking?

A Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA. One of those pouchy ones
Sorry Coopers, it's lovely.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I generally bottle 1 or 2 long necks with each brew and they go on the bottom shelf.

What am I drinking?

I had one of those yesterday. I am not a big IPA fan but I like grapefruit? So it looked really intriguing. Mine turned out with an ABV of 6.7%. It’s really thick, heavy and strong. Very nice brew. 
I stack my brews in milk crates and as I drink and empty the crates I fill some up as mixed crates and put them in the back.Normally I label the bottles or pretend that I remember what it is. That’s how after weeks and months I get the mystery bottle😂😂 Some brews just age so well

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

New Saison on the pour at home. Had to keg this one as I’m out of bottles. This is the first iteration of this recipe. Pretty basic but trying to find some new or different flavours to build on. 

100% pils

Styrian Golding at 60 & 30 to 25IBU 

Belle saison fermented at 18

500g of apricot purée and 1000g of peach purée dosed in towards the end of fermentation. 

Super dry with the  peach and apricot building with each mouthful.

CEB12424-9F46-4341-A7AA-A426C9E44A7E.jpeg

• Like 15

On 4/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, Graculus said:

What am I drinking?

Did you try their Mango Pale Ale? It’s nearly as bitter as the IPA , fruity and high ABV, I like it a lot

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Did you try their Mango Pale Ale? It’s nearly as bitter as the IPA , fruity and high ABV, I like it a lot

No, I haven't, but a couple of blokes at work were raving about a Mango beer they'd had in WA and wanted me to make some.

Confession time. I have never eaten a mango.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Did you dry hop that one Mick, or just do it neat?  I was eying off that FWK today.

Yes I did Shamus. It comes with packets of Ella and Galaxy hop pellets. The Ella went in as instructed at high Kruasen and the Galaxy went in about 3 days from CCing. It did not specify  the duration in the wort so I chose 3 days for each. I note that at around 7 days in the keg this one has a pronounced bitterness in the after taste...it's really pleasant at first though - so I'm hoping that'll smooth out.  I am slowly starting to suspect Galaxy hops in a dry hop can lead to some bitterness - I've been noting this with some of the Galaxy additions in other brews....quantity and duration seem to be a factor at least to my taste.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Yes I did Shamus. It comes with packets of Ella and Galaxy hop pellets. The Ella went in as instructed at high Kruasen and the Galaxy went in about 3 days from CCing. It did not specify  the duration in the wort so I chose 3 days for each. I note that at around 7 days in the keg this one has a pronounced bitterness in the after taste...it's really pleasant at first though - so I'm hoping that'll smooth out.  I am slowly starting to suspect Galaxy hops in a dry hop can lead to some bitterness - I've been noting this with some of the Galaxy additions in other brews....quantity and duration seem to be a factor at least to my taste.

Try it for 24 hours at low temp during CC Mick. 
I have read some interesting research that suggests that is long enough to extract all the hop flavour without the bitterness. 
I haven’t done it yet but am keen to see the results. Probably needs a split batch for a side by side comparison though…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Try it for 24 hours at low temp during CC Mick. 
I have read some interesting research that suggests that is long enough to extract all the hop flavour without the bitterness. 
I haven’t done it yet but am keen to see the results. Probably needs a split batch for a side by side comparison though…

Yeah I'll give that a go at CC. I think you're right about the duration though - 3 days might be too long.  Galaxy is a wonderful hop (At least in my opinion) but it can impart bitterness even in a dry hop - I think the culprit could be the duration and possibly even the wort temp. As you say I'd need to do a side by side to get an idea.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Did you dry hop that one Mick, or just do it neat?  I was eying off that FWK today.

your best dry hopping that fwk   its a ripper tasting fwk from grain and grape   , i'm seriously thinking of doing this one again

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Yeah I'll give that a go at CC. I think you're right about the duration though - 3 days might be too long.  Galaxy is a wonderful hop (At least in my opinion) but it can impart bitterness even in a dry hop - I think the culprit could be the duration and possibly even the wort temp

From the study it appears to be both wort temp and time:

Looking at sensory results rather than just measured hop compounds, the non-stirred pellet hops at just six hours had essentially the same aroma intensity scores compared to day four, again suggesting a short contact time with dry hopping may be enough to get extraction, but perhaps with less polyphenol bitterness.

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

From the study it appears to be both wort temp and time:

Looking at sensory results rather than just measured hop compounds, the non-stirred pellet hops at just six hours had essentially the same aroma intensity scores compared to day four, again suggesting a short contact time with dry hopping may be enough to get extraction, but perhaps with less polyphenol bitterness.

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

I've been reading about this a lot Toner, it's really interesting. I'd love to study up about hop fade as well. I'm wondering too if a hop steep in cooler temps for shorter durations and added to the wort when CC'ing would or could be applied here. I've read before now that the yeast plays some part in the way the hops are extracted / imparted into the wort - so I'm wondering if that has a bearing on how a late cooler hop steep reacts to the wort as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I've been reading about this a lot Toner, it's really interesting. I'd love to study up about hop fade as well. I'm wondering too if a hop steep in cooler temps for shorter durations and added to the wort when CC'ing would or could be applied here. I've read before now that the yeast plays some part in the way the hops are extracted / imparted into the wort - so I'm wondering if that has a bearing on how a late cooler hop steep reacts to the wort as well.

I am certainly no expert on this subject, but my hunch is that any hops added during CC will not undergo bio transformation to the same level as hops added while the yeasts is still active. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I am certainly no expert on this subject, but my hunch is that any hops added during CC will not undergo bio transformation to the same level as hops added while the yeasts is still active. 

yes and that's why I'm looking at a cooler temperature steep in a coffee plunger or some such and adding that late, as late as just prior to packaging or indeed at the same time.

• Like 2