Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice colour mate, looks sweetish to me !

Cheers Phil 👍

The colour is good but I’m not keen on a cloudy brew. Reminds me of brews I made as a young ‘un that would make you do a Morrison outside a McDonald’s they were that cloudy. Also the hops are long gone…

I’ve set up an Inkbird at 6 degrees but am worried it’ll defrost my legs of lamb in the freezer part below as it seems to be turned off more often than on. Not fussed about the drawer full of hops but the meat might be a bit iffy.

Hmm…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Cheers Phil 👍

The colour is good but I’m not keen on a cloudy brew. Reminds me of brews I made as a young ‘un that would make you do a Morrison outside a McDonald’s they were that cloudy. Also the hops are long gone…

I’ve set up an Inkbird at 6 degrees but am worried it’ll defrost my legs of lamb in the freezer part below as it seems to be turned off more often than on. Not fussed about the drawer full of hops but the meat might be a bit iffy.

Hmm…

Solution - get another Fridge Freezer, it's only 💸💰

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Solution - get another Fridge Freezer, it's only 💸💰

A bit awkward really as different beers need different temperatures, cold crashing could be useful even where I am, so ideally you’d have about 3 fridges. Then homebrewing becomes an obsession rather than a hobby. And 💰💵
My other problem is that I buy meat on offer, vac pack it, freeze it, and don’t get around to eating it quick enough. I know, first world problems

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

My other problem is that I buy meat on offer, vac pack it, freeze it, and don’t get around to eating it quick enough.

I don't think the way you are setting up your fridge/freezer will work best for you as you are now working outside its design parameter and want it be a brew fridge and a freezer.

A dedicated fridge would be the way to go. You could purchase an all fridge and that would be the one to use for brewing.

I have a couple of all fridges on Ink birds for brewing and this combination works very well.  And it leaves the house fridge/freezer alone to do its thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pink AG Beer for the Pink Ashes Test - the Pink Panther Pils 🥳 

Bought a few virtual pink seats at the SCG (donation to McGrath Breast Cancer special Nurses) and as I musta luckily got a Virtual Corporate Box I poured meself a beer : )

A stray Pink Pils from the past found in a bottle and chilled... the pink-ish colour from Hibiscus and delivers a small bit of citrus as well as a nice colour : )

image.thumb.png.0b4b2ef350fd2b6980e1bb54c1e67c7f.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Pink AG Beer for the Pink Test - the Pink Panther Pils 🥳 

Bought a few virtual pink seats at the SCG and as I musta luckily got a Virtual Corporate Box I poured meself a beer : )

A stray Pink Pils from the past found in a bottle and chilled... the pink-ish colour from Hibiscus and delivers a small bit of citrus as well as a nice colour : )

image.thumb.png.0b4b2ef350fd2b6980e1bb54c1e67c7f.png

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Pink AG Beer for the Pink Test - the Pink Panther Pils 🥳 

Bought a few virtual pink seats at the SCG and as I musta luckily got a Virtual Corporate Box I poured meself a beer : )

Sweet, looks really cool, I like the composition of the photo with the shed & tree bordering both sides, well done, now take the rest of the day off & have another beer. 😆

• Haha 3

I have had a busy day organising stuff for the transfer of NBN on Monday everything was in boxes, of course all labelled. 

I have got the 65" 4K TV all set up in the lounge so can't wait. In the meantime I have been using my phone to hotspot for Wifi.

I am having another of the Wheat Beers, this gets better everyday, I have to get my s... together & put some brews down as this house move has really been time consuming. Cheers Phil.

598398689_WHEATBEERJAN2002.thumb.jpg.8e3ea0180715d8ccf20480379175bd42.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am having another of the Wheat Beers, this gets better everyday, 

Looks loverly

I have to get my s... together

I have tried that for years and given up

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Stickers said:

warm beer. came home to no power in the garage 😮 a little further investigation led to it just being a blown fuse and power is restored. but all my cold ones are now warm ones 😭

ice cubes mate.

when ya have the hydro weeds on same circuit as beer fridge that happens mate

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I don't think the way you are setting up your fridge/freezer will work best for you as you are now working outside its design parameter and want it be a brew fridge and a freezer.

A dedicated fridge would be the way to go. You could purchase an all fridge and that would be the one to use for brewing.

I have a couple of all fridges on Ink birds for brewing and this combination works very well.  And it leaves the house fridge/freezer alone to do its thing.

That was a short-lived experiment with the Inkbird. Wish I'd got a WiFi one now: I could have just monitored the temperature of either the fridge or the garage permanently off the phone. Never mind, it'll come to use somewhere.

As it is an old fridge freezer I can't having if turn on and off all the time (off mainly: the minimum temperature is about 5 °C at the top, which means that the kegs below are even colder), as I have meat in the freezer.

I will abandon trying to keg English bitter - serving at 3° C is just too cold. I have about 12 litres of Landlord left in a keg, I'll take it out and serve at garage temperature. For the next cuppla months it'll be cold enough to serve at cellar (garage) temp, which is currently 13°C.

I have an untapped corny with a brew of Authentic IPA, about 12 litres of a Duvel clone and maybe 5 litres of Fair Drinkum. I'll use the cold fridge for these (might be too cold for the IPA).

As I've also started pressure fermenting I will make up a load of lager in those FVs , keg them, and leave them for 5 - 6 months until summer. That way I can have keg beer in summer and bottles in winter. No biggie...

Any ales I make will have to be bottled. So all good, until I can source a fridge only without a freezer part. Ideally one that you can actually set the temperature.

Strewth ! Feels like I didn't think all of this through first...

Anyway, thank for your suggestions fellas !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

That was a short-lived experiment with the Inkbird. Wish I'd got a WiFi one now: I could have just monitored the temperature of either the fridge or the garage permanently off the phone. Never mind, it'll come to use somewhere.

As it is an old fridge freezer I can't having if turn on and off all the time (off mainly: the minimum temperature is about 5 °C at the top, which means that the kegs below are even colder), as I have meat in the freezer.

I will abandon trying to keg English bitter - serving at 3° C is just too cold. I have about 12 litres of Landlord left in a keg, I'll take it out and serve at garage temperature. For the next cuppla months it'll be cold enough to serve at cellar (garage) temp, which is currently 13°C.

I have an untapped corny with a brew of Authentic IPA, about 12 litres of a Duvel clone and maybe 5 litres of Fair Drinkum. I'll use the cold fridge for these (might be too cold for the IPA).

As I've also started pressure fermenting I will make up a load of lager in those FVs , keg them, and leave them for 5 - 6 months until summer. That way I can have keg beer in summer and bottles in winter. No biggie...

Any ales I make will have to be bottled. So all good, until I can source a fridge only without a freezer part. Ideally one that you can actually set the temperature.

I don't think a WiFi Ink bird will solve any temperature fermentation issues. It will only tell you what's occurring and reinforcing what needs to be done.   After sanitation I think that reliable temperature control is paramount or you are not getting the best out of the ingredients and all the effort you put in.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I don't think a WiFi Ink bird will solve any temperature fermentation issues. It will only tell you what's occurring and reinforcing what needs to be done.   After sanitation I think that reliable temperature control is paramount or you are not getting the best out of the ingredients and all the effort you put in.

Where I am I didn't think I needed temperature control: in winter I can ferment dubbya in the garage (it's about 13°C), I can ferment ales in the boiler room (about 21°C). In summer I can ferment in either of the two rooms (18°C or 23°C) but not dubbya.

Since I have a now unused inkbird I will just use it to check out the temperature of the garage, or the fridge, to see how consistent it is. As you say, it's just to check all is OK (not that I can do anything about it).

But that's OK - as I mentioned, I'll keg lighter beers in summer when I've worked up a thirst, and stick to bottles in winter. And use the fridge for cold crashing in the meantime.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I sort of question temperatures recommended for different styles of beers. For me it is important to have the beers at a good temp for the conditions that I have, and that is mostly bloody hot. Therefore I always like a very cold beer, my beer fridge is set at 0° and sometimes I think that the beer isn't cold enough! I have tried brewing ESB's that they always say should have low carbonation and should be served at cellar temperature (i.e. circa 12° - 15°), I always find them flat, warm beers to be honest. They are probably beautiful served in an English winter in a Pub, but not here in an Australian summer. So @stquinto I am guessing that warmer, lower carbonated beers work well for you in your cold winter in Switzerland but here they would taste like cat's piss, not that I have ever tasted said urine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I am guessing that warmer, lower carbonated beers work well for you in your cold winter in Switzerland but here they would taste like cat's piss, not that I have ever tasted said urine!

Absolutely mate! Too bloody cold here for 3 degree beer (it’s actually snowing at the moment) but I would be skulling cold ones where you are now ☠️🍻🍻

It’ll be changing in  few months, but I agree: I don’t drink English style bitters in summer 🤮

• Like 1