Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Which recipe?? The pale ale or the stout?

how silly of me not to say🙄

the Stout please.

Thanks

Edit: just saw your reply, thanks for sharing.

Edited by DavidM
missed line
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers mate, I am having a lot of fun with the new set-up, it's very hard to stop pouring out of them - I think I need bigger keg's !!

do i sense your going to purchase these 50l 😉😂

brand new keg/ DIN standard/ DIN keg/ stackable chimes/ 304 stainless steel/ A-type/ D-type/ spears/ Commercial beer keg/ brewery keg/ full sized keg/ 50l/ barrel/ stainless pressure vessel.but you will need the spear and couplings though

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

do i sense your going to purchase these 50l 😉😂

brand new keg/ DIN standard/ DIN keg/ stackable chimes/ 304 stainless steel/ A-type/ D-type/ spears/ Commercial beer keg/ brewery keg/ full sized keg/ 50l/ barrel/ stainless pressure vessel.but you will need the spear and couplings though

Nah my fridge will just take 4 Corny's, besides I only have 30l FV's but I know you are joking. 🤭

A while ago I was offered 2 old kegs for free with a box full of old fittings from the RSL but I declined as I didn't know then that I would be kegging !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

Old Perc, a few bottles left

D658B839-2736-4813-A8A7-F691A42FDE63.jpeg

37BCD51C-1F31-43A0-9714-FD4C2A0CA667.jpeg

Sampled the real thing for the first time just a couple of weeks ago - served in a new London bar opened up in the City.   I tried brewing a clone myself a few years ago, the recipe I had included 500g mollasses.  It wasn't great, in fact the molasses was too overpowering and it's obvious to me now that the recipe I had used WAY too much molasses!  The Old Perc I sampled off the tap only had a fraction, though still noticeable molasses twang. 

• Like 4

After 30 days it's finally ready, perfect subtle carbonation, great head and taste. Woodforde's Old Conckerwood Black Ale kit.

Third time I brewed it and it is still so enjoyable, the first two brews were identical in OG, FG and ABV. This one had a Lower OG and higher FG, therefor only ABV 5.1% instead of 6.1%. Still a very enjoyable drop. Why the difference, not sure. Will I brew it again, absolutely

IMG_2895.jpeg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Who needs the Pub ?? Day 9 & I have a nice tasting beer without punishing the Credit Card. What a delight this hobby of ours is.

I can't wait until I have all 4 taps working !!

20220701_152712.thumb.jpg.27d0c66295e4bc32e8704ff039f44731.jpg

Can I please have a stout on tap please oh you haven't got stout on tap you better give me what the publican is having😂

• Haha 3

On 6/30/2022 at 1:41 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

You are right about dark grains in stouts having a higher pH than Pale grain. Therefore the dark brews do not usually need added acid.

Not trying to say anything other than bring a point of discussion for clarification...

And I admit I might be completely wrong and have missed the point completely - hopefully we can clarify maybe.

To begin with might be worthwhile noting that the pH log Scale goes from 1-14 and that 7 is Neutral... and everything below 7 is classed in the Acidic zone and above 7 in the Alkaline zone.  Acid solutions - like hydrochloric and phosphoric etc are low numbers like 3 and below.  Alkaline solutions like caustic soda ar in that 12-14 range.

Buffered drinking water w say some hardness brought about by Calcium content can be in that 6-7 range and mostly in the 6.5-8.5 zone.

Pure Rainwater in general is more acidic like 5 to 5.5

If the Dark Grains have a higher pH - then would you not need more Acid to drop it back down to where you want it to be -- as opposed to not needing added acid?

If the Dark Grains generate a lower pH - then you do not need to add more acid. 

So more acid in a solution drops the pH - and more alkalinity raises the pH...

I would rather not say that Dark Grains are acidic - but more that a mash or solution made with Dark Grains would be more acidic.  Acid Base accounting is associated with solutions afaik not solids. 

I have had to use pH meters in the past in work situations and they shittttt me so I am happy flying blind with my rainwater and do use acidulated malt from time to time but seem to make good beer without it too...

Hopefully this discussion will be of some benefit to some brewers here... and my apologies to those who may see this as completely irrelevant. 

The below might be useful:

Dark malts are naturally acidic and so adding them to the mash causes the pH to drop. 

https://grainfather.com/dark-malts-and-their-effects-on-mash-ph/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Who needs the Pub ?? Day 9 & I have a nice tasting beer without punishing the Credit Card. What a delight this hobby of ours is.

That fridge looks sensational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

That fridge looks sensational.

Thanks mate, I love it too, but we know it was all down to our good friend @Hoppy81for making it possible & for giving his time & knowledge to get it how it is, of course I had to put up with his excessive drinking habits & try & keep up with him 🤣 😂 🤭

Joke Hoppy. 

I don't know why I left it so long.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well I just paid for the gear & an expert & good friend set it up so you cannot ask for more than that.

Hes a master when it comes to brewing and cooking. Good to have him as a mate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't know why I left it so long.

Same here. Ive been brewing for 30+ years and never got results i wanted until AG and kegging. But having said that my girth has expanded remarkably in the last two years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Imagine how much you will save when all four taps are running on Phil’s rocket ship!

Don’t open them all at once though, it might take off 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

If the Dark Grains have a higher pH - then would you not need more Acid to drop it back down to where you want it to be -- as opposed to not needing added acid?

If the Dark Grains generate a lower pH - then you do not need to add more acid. 

So more acid in a solution drops the pH - and more alkalinity raises the pH...

I would rather not say that Dark Grains are acidic - but more that a mash or solution made with Dark Grains would be more acidic.  Acid Base accounting is associated with solutions afaik not solids. 

Yep.  You are right IP.  My bad.  I got my higher and lower in pH around the wrong way.  And it is better to say that dark grains are more acidic.

• Like 2