Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

7 hours ago, beach_life said:

50.00 g Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 90

25.00 g Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 90 

So are you steeping at FO at 90 deg for 20 mins Beachcomber ? @beach_life

And no bittering long boil.... 

So does the steeping end up with quite a bit of bitterness then?

Or is it the essence of Centennial?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pezzza said:

And no bittering long boil.... 

Flameout hops only. The temp inputted is an arbitrary setting from Beersmith. I have done Pacific Ales like that before and they work out perfectly. For a standard commercial type clone with only 20 IBU it is the best way IMO to get flavour, lots of flavour, without blowing out the IBU.

As for the extract, it is an awesome oil that you can see pooling in the centre of the whirlpool in an earlier picture. I will know more when these two beers are ready but it has so much flavour.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wai-iti NZ Pilsner (20litre)

• 2.4kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 400g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 25g Sticklebract @35mins
  • 20g Wai-iti @10mins
  • 30g Wai-iti steep/dry hop
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

This one should land at around 4.0% ABV.

Got a house move coming up in a couple of weeks so getting this one down with not much time to spare!  But thanks to kveik it should be fermented out in a couple of days, then cold-crashed and fined and into bottles with a week to spare if all goes to plan!  I need stocks ahead of time as it'll likely be a while before I get set up at the new abode, and then of course there's several weeks wait for a brew to be ready which would put us well past Xmas.  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

Wai-iti NZ Pilsner (20litre)

• 2.4kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 400g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 25g Sticklebract @35mins
  • 20g Wai-iti @10mins
  • 30g Wai-iti steep/dry hop
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

This one should land at around 4.5% ABV.

Got a house move coming up in a couple of weeks so getting this one down with not much time to spare!  But thanks to kveik it should be fermented out in a couple of days, then cold-crashed and fined and into bottles with a week to spare if all goes to plan!  I need stocks ahead of time as it'll likely be a while before I get set up at the new abode, and then of course there's several weeks wait for a brew to be ready which would put us well past Xmas.  

Sounds like a nice recipe, BS, good luck with the house move, I moved here just on 12 months ago & still unpacking, yesterday I had to virtually clean out the shed to find the Xmas tree & dec's, they were right up the back. 😬

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like a nice recipe, BS, good luck with the house move, I moved here just on 12 months ago & still unpacking, yesterday I had to virtually clean out the shed to find the Xmas tree & dec's, they were right up the back. 😬

While moving house can often be a good opportunity to have a bit of a purge and get rid of some unwanted stuff/junk, we too still got things in boxes from our last move.  That suggests to me that we probably don't actually need whatever it is that's in them, however... the wife does have trouble letting go of things!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

iBooz2's Coopers Pale Ale

My first time using Coopers Premium Pale Malt.  This grain seems amazing.  I set the Brewhouse Efficiency at 77% but it got up around 87%.

I was also amazed at the clarity of the wort.  I also stirred the mash three times which usually creates some extra haze.  I think it was largely due to me commando hopping during the boil.  I usually contain the hops in a hop sock.  As I added the hops loosely, they form a filter around the stainless steel filter on the Grainfather.  This layer of hops also reduces flow, but stops small particles being sucked up through the pump and out into the fermenter.

I used some harvested slurry from the Coopers 2022 Vintage Ale I just bottled the other night (about 400ml).  The slurry had a lot of hop matter in it, but it should be okay.  The good advice is that when re-pitching yeast you should go from a weaker beer to a stronger one.  Again, hopefully there are no issues pitching the 1.049 wort onto a yeast slurry that fermented a 1.065 brew.

My aim was to make 27 litres of wort by doing a slightly concentrated batch and then adding some water to the FV.  Because the efficiency was so good, I had to add 4 litres of water instead of the originally intended 2.5 litres.  I would have added more water, but had no space left in the Coopers FV.  Even then the OG was 1.049 instead of the intended 1.045.

• 27L batch (turned out I filled the FV to 28L)
  • OG 1.049 (Probably ABV 5.1%)
  • IBU 26
  • EBC 8
  • 5.08kg Coopers Premium Pale Malt
  • 270g Coopers Premium Wheat Malt
  • 70g Crystal Malt
  • 22g Pride of Ringwood 60 minute boil (21 IBU)
  • 18g Pride of Ringwood 5 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • I added 7.5ml of Lactic Acid to the mash but still had a slightly high pH (5.61)
  • A pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite into the Mash and Sparge Water to kill the Chlorine
  • Mash Schedule: 45°C for 15m; 63°C for 45m; 70°C for 30m; 75°C for 10m (actually extended to 20m while I waited for the sparge water to finish heating)
  • Fermenting at 19°C

Nice clear wort

IMG_3379.JPG.65dcc2acec7805ba982434a26b28ea79.JPG

Here's the yeast I used

IMG_3380.JPG.a1fa6039f3567ea7a18b09fceebb3a44.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My first time using Coopers Premium Pale Malt.  This grain seems amazing.  I set the Brewhouse Efficiency at 77% but it got up around 87%.

I was also amazed at the clarity of the wort.  I also stirred the mash three times which usually creates some extra haze.  I think it was largely due to me commando hopping during the boil.  I usually contain the hops in a hop sock.  As I added the hops loosely, they form a filter around the stainless steel filter on the Grainfather.  This layer of hops also reduces flow, but stops small particles being sucked up through the pump and out into the fermenter.

I used some harvested slurry from the Coopers 2022 Vintage Ale I just bottled the other night (about 400ml).  The slurry had a lot of hop matter in it, but it should be okay.  The good advice is that when re-pitching yeast you should go from a weaker beer to a stronger one.  Again, hopefully there are no issues pitching the 1.049 wort onto a yeast slurry that fermented a 1.065 brew.

My aim was to make 27 litres of wort by doing a slightly concentrated batch and then adding some water to the FV.  Because the efficiency was so good, I had to add 4 litres of water instead of the originally intended 2.5 litres.  I would have added more water, but had no space left in the Coopers FV.  Even then the OG was 1.049 instead of the intended 1.045.

• 27L batch (turned out I filled the FV to 28L)
  • OG 1.049 (Probably ABV 5.1%)
  • IBU 26
  • EBC 8
  • 5.08kg Coopers Premium Pale Malt
  • 270g Coopers Premium Wheat Malt
  • 70g Crystal Malt
  • 22g Pride of Ringwood 60 minute boil (21 IBU)
  • 18g Pride of Ringwood 5 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • I added 7.5ml of Lactic Acid to the mash but still had a slightly high pH (5.61)
  • A pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite into the Mash and Sparge Water to kill the Chlorine
  • Mash Schedule: 45°C for 15m; 63°C for 45m; 70°C for 30m; 75°C for 10m (actually extended to 20m while I waited for the sparge water to finish heating)
  • Fermenting at 19°C

Nice clear wort

IMG_3379.JPG.65dcc2acec7805ba982434a26b28ea79.JPG

Here's the yeast I used

IMG_3380.JPG.a1fa6039f3567ea7a18b09fceebb3a44.JPG

Wow really clear wort there @Shamus O'Sean. Coopers Premium Pale Malt has worked a treat for me so far, 1 x 25 kg sack, that I have nearly used so far, has produced some great beer. I actually have enough left of the Coopers Premium Pale to do a batch of a Coopers XPA next brew.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for that one @iBooz2 and @Shamus O'Sean, I’ll be giving it a whirl.

I like the idea of a bigger volume brew: I can do a kegzilla and the mini pressure one (forgot the name, I know Shamus uses them). The only downside is the extra time to chill them. It’s winter here so using a load of water isn’t an issue. I didn’t brew over summer when there was a hosepipe ban, it would have been taking the p*ss using a load of water even though nobody could see. The local authorities used drones to check out suspiciously green-looking lawns and gave out pretty hefty fines.

I can only get Golden Promise or Marris Otter though, they’ve worked ok in the past.

Cheers for the recipe

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Wow really clear wort there @Shamus O'Sean. Coopers Premium Pale Malt has worked a treat for me so far, 1 x 25 kg sack, that I have nearly used so far, has produced some great beer. I actually have enough left of the Coopers Premium Pale to do a batch of a Coopers XPA next brew.

I look forward to checking out your Coopers XPA recipe.

I am very impressed with the Coopers Premium Pale.  Although I have only used it once.  I got the 25kg sack for a good price.  The Coopers Pale Ale recipe had just over 5kg in it, but cost me under $20 in ingredients.

• Like 4

No dirty batches! But I am using a US-05 slurry from the last extract brew of the KL 150 lashes clone.

This is definitely using stuff I had in the cupboard which needs to be used. Not sure how it'll turn out but I'd say pretty close to a pub swill beer.

Double batch

24 liters volume x 2 

Wollies 1.7kg Draught x 2

Coopers LDM 1.5kg

200 grams Dextrose x 2

ABV approx 4.9%

Ferment at 18 degrees

317374215_514519973930323_5927746263929146736_n.jpg

• Like 9

Bit of a Pilly of sorts... Wey Pils, Carapils, little bit of Rye for the LOLs... HT Mit... 

Had to stop milling to recharge the battery that is not that old.... rechargeable batteries... 😐

Anyway hopefully get this one one and maybe do an Aley thing tomorrow ; )

image.thumb.png.cc748bac399ebe7fe02a0968bba3c8e4.png

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Bit of a Pilly of sorts... Wey Pils, Carapils, little bit of Rye for the LOLs... HT Mit... 

Had to stop milling to recharge the battery that is not that old.... rechargeable batteries... 😐

Anyway hopefully get this one one and maybe do an Aley thing tomorrow ; )

Looking good Mr P, I need to fire up the BrewZilla & get some AG action but unfortunately having an issue with my shoulder ATM & worried about lifting the malt pipe, so I will have to slowly put along.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Groundhog Day??? : )

Not quite... as this is an Aleo ; )

Gladdy Ale Malt, some Voyager Heritage Rye, and the ol' fave Wey Cara... not quite sure what Hoppage... see how things develop 🙂

Doin' the freshly milled Mash... the monschter Mash 😆

image.thumb.png.8e39d6313cfec5e849037082ee65698c.png

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2