Coopers Community

New Grain Mill.

Pale Man

Well since I'm now totally dedicated to all grain brewing I thought it was appropriate I get some new bling. It just happens to be a three roller Malt Muncher grain mill. Of course from @Hoppy81  store. Easy to put together. I did a practice crush on the standard setting with a kilo of grain. Beautiful, no problems. Lovely crush. I will say I watched Gash on youtube for lots of hints.

I can't wait to crush and brew with fresh grain. 

20211215_215901.jpg

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Well since I'm now totally dedicated to all grain brewing I thought it was appropriate I get some new bling. It just happens to be a three roller Malt Muncher grain mill. Of course from @Hoppy81  store. Easy to put together. I did a practice crush on the standard setting with a kilo of grain. Beautiful, no problems. Lovely crush. I will say I watched Gash on youtube for lots of hints.

20211215_215901.jpg

Good work mate, find where to get your cheap 25kg bag base malts and your mill will pay for itself in no time👍

• Like 3

i have a 3 roller and a 2 roller mill i went back to the 2 roller as it was easier to set up

but thats probably me being unpatient 

may bring  the 3 roller back into action again  

but paledude get rid of the crank handle and get a drill that can be put on low setting  will make even easier crush

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Pale Man even just for my partial extracts I'm getting sick of 4 or 5 times in zip lock bag 250 grams at time.  I've seen a few posts on mills and read mixed things. They can be a real pain to set up and get how you want them? 

I use a spare Sunbeam coffee grinder - does up to 500g at a time and does it so well I often re-grind the milled grains from Beerbelly, just to get the consistency. I removed the shims under the burr and wound it all the way out to coarsest. It just burrs through the grain and doesn't even warm up - I think the grain seems an easier deal than the coffee beans.

Maybe one day, if I ever get around to AG, I might look at a grain mill but at those prices it's a tough call. And I've got 3 EM480's so there's a spare if either the coffee or grain one decides to go to God. 😄 

But I did look at @Pale Man's pic and kinda sigh. 😄 I guess we all want bling in the rbew room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Pale Man even just for my partial extracts I'm getting sick of 4 or 5 times in zip lock bag 250 grams at time.  I've seen a few posts on mills and read mixed things. They can be a real pain to set up and get how you want them? 

Really easy, but as i said i watched Gash on homebrew network set up the same model. Easy to set aswell.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

20211215_215901.jpg

Good work @Pale Man you are starting to make me envious moving into AG & now with bling !! I have just secured a new property at Glenelg & there is lot's more room for brewing so who knows I might be posting photos of grain instead of extract.

• Like 2

@Journeyman just had a look online cheap ones ok to 70 or hundred dollars. Never used one so not sure on what adjustments you have made to make it more fine. does it take long to do? just crushes grain and spits out another end like a blender but gets rid of it? only ever made pod coffee so never seen one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Journeyman just had a look online cheap ones ok to 70 or hundred dollars. Never used one so not sure on what adjustments you have made to make it more fine. does it take long to do? just crushes grain and spits out another end like a blender but gets rid of it? only ever made pod coffee so never seen one.

Simple as... takes a couple of minutes tops to do and hardest part is that the nut holding the bottom burr down is right hand thread.

Basically, take hopper off, wind out the 'scale' all the way, (have to press the button to get past the stop) lift it off (make sure to keep top burr in place) and there are the bottom burrs. Unscreww, lift, remove shims and reassemble.

Only gotchas are that RH nut and the top burr only works properly in one orientation - and there are only 2 positions. Even there, there's a 'flat' spot showing where the back of the burr is if it comes out - simpler just to hold it in place as you l;ift the scale part off.

Feed grain in the top, flick switch & fill container under the spout. You can keep the rubber spout on but even without it, there's no mess. Get the EM0480 - there's an EM0450 very similar but I doubt you'd find one of them. And the EM0700 range is likely getting up there in price. ($250+) You can get a decent grain mill for not a lot more than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Journeyman thanks although I'm not very mechanical none of it made sense lol. Would a cheap one crush grain enough without being fiddled with?

Maybe.  You would have to try it to make sure it was doing something chunkier than the powder level you normally want for espresso. Don't use a blade one though - they make powder and all your grain will wind up going stright through the filter/bag.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Journeyman said:

I use a spare Sunbeam coffee grinder - does up to 500g at a time and does it so well I often re-grind the milled grains from Beerbelly, just to get the consistency. I removed the shims under the burr and wound it all the way out to coarsest. It just burrs through the grain and doesn't even warm up - I think the grain seems an easier deal than the coffee beans.

Maybe one day, if I ever get around to AG, I might look at a grain mill but at those prices it's a tough call. And I've got 3 EM480's so there's a spare if either the coffee or grain one decides to go to God. 😄 

But I did look at @Pale Man's pic and kinda sigh. 😄 I guess we all want bling in the rbew room.

i'm thinking of getting a maltzilla mill   in the next few months   which will make my   2 roller and 3 roller grain mill redundant
we might be able to strike up a deal closer to the time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Maybe.  You would have to try it to make sure it was doing something chunkier than the powder level you normally want for espresso. Don't use a blade one though - they make powder and all your grain will wind up going stright through the filter/bag.

so is roller and blade grinders? I need roller one similar to mill? I'll google one you mentioned and try find closest cheap alternative

There were good reviews and bad like anything I suppose some lemons out there. I got one with my missus she broke early on too 😄

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

so is roller and blade grinders? I need roller one similar to mill? I'll google one you mentioned and try find closest cheap alternative

There were good reviews and bad like anything I suppose some lemons out there. I got one with my missus she broke early on too 😄

Roller grinders are (AFAIK) the grain grinder type like many AG'ers on here use.

Blade grinders are like food processors - spinning blades that munch things into dust if you go slightly too long. Quite hard to get an even 'grind' with them as you wind up with widely variable sizes.

Burr grinders such as the EM0480 are more like the roler grinders except the 2 grinding surfaces are vertical cones that squeeze the contents down the fluted burrs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@jamiek86   if your going  to purchase one  and your prepared to pay the dollars  look at mills with the flute rollers    such as the mill master
they are the best type  and unfortunately not many of these  come on the 2nd hand market and are great investment

or  milled rollers will do the job   , but are a bit more maintence and the milled rollers will wear in time

milled roller  grain mills are reasonably priced and you will see these   for sale regularly

buying cheap with mills  is not the best thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1