Coopers Community

The Ashes Test series

ozdevil

The reason I think T20, if not ruined, certainly didn't help test cricket is because they just don't seem to have the patience often times to really grind it out. They waft at balls they should leave alone, play stupid shots that are completely unnecessary, or the bowlers don't stick to a plan long enough for it to actually work. 

There are also far too many hangers on, although they like to call themselves analysts, going on with all this BS about matchups and whatever else. When I played and first took a real interest in the game it was simple, work out the batsman's weakness and try to exploit it. If a bowler is any good they should be able to do that to any batsman. It just feels like paralysis by analysis sometimes these days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

f a bowler is any good they should be able to do that to any batsman

Another issue is the standard of bowling in T20. It is pretty crap.  Bowlers just do not get the opportunity to bowl a consistent line and length. They bowl  an over with 6 delivers where each it completely different.   I am a purist and I don't find T20 palatable.   Each to their own though one of my sons who had no interest at all in Cricket really gets into T20 and goes to as many "Big Bash" games as he can.  So that is a positive T20 has attracted a different audience. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I only glance at T20 cricket but I can understand the popularity. Took my kids to a game at Adelaide oval about 10 years ago. Fireworks, music, dancers. There was a lot going on but contrary to what some of you have mentioned, T20 hasn't ruined Test cricket. It's popularity and income streams have actually help fund it in recent years. It's no coincidence that India have become a force in Test cricket ever since they formed the world's leading T20 competition (IPL).

Agreed. Nothing can ruin Test Cricket. Its ageless.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam Ant said:

Agreed. Nothing can ruin Test Cricket. Its ageless.

james brayshaw commentary on MMM's radio coverage comes close 🤣

work - MMM because we can't get AM
home - SEN. i like the commentary team, the plugs and ads are way over the top though and the ever reliable ABC. i flip between them.

rarely get time to watch it these days though, T20 is perfect for my TV time. a bit of s hits and giggles of an evening is always welcome. test cricket is mostly a radio affair for me because i rarely turn the TV on during the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the SEN commentators need to remember they're on radio and need to describe it like they're talking to a blind person, half the time they yell and carry on about something that's happening and I have no idea what they're describing. So the bloke hit a six but what type of ball was it, shot etc. These details are important. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marty_G said:

@Otto Von Blotto, my preference is to listen to the ABC coverage and have the TV on.  Thatway I can go about pottering around and when there is a dismissal or a great shot I can then watch it on the TV.   Best of both worlds to me.  I just love the ABC radio coverage. 

I like the ABC one the best too, back when I was young we often muted the TV and put the radio on, it was pretty well synced up then. Now it's not. Might be able to figure out a way to get it synced if I watch it on Kayo, I'll have a muck around with it next match. If it's on the TV I'll sit there and watch it rather than do other stuff. Can't help myself 🤣

• Like 2

what an exciting day of Cricket   .  ya gotta say  its been a bowlers paradise today

but how good was the aussie bowlers  i feel the poms are lucky they are not 6 for  

Scotty Boland   what a start to a late career in Australia   specially his  1st over in the second inning

ok leach is a batting bunny , but offered no shot  

where has this guy been    he has heart of phar lap

Starc very unlucky not to get the hatrick

i must say  the only ones giving their best on the england side is the bowlers 
the batsman even joe root are shocking

Stokes  coming back from injury is holding his own and bairstow  well why hasnt he played the first 2 test

milan  he is a joke wasting reviews  just to protect his own wicket and in the hope he can get on with it.. done it both innings
2nd innings  he was no doubt lbw no need for reviewing   waste of a review

cmon on Aussie

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i honestly think this boxing day test    has been the best so far in this ashes series

even the mrs's is getting into the test matches which she hardly likes sport

I totally agree. Hat's off to the curator he has prepared a great Test wicket, it has been a great contest between bat and ball so far. Some previous MCG wickets have been too flat and favour the batsmen, not much interest seeing a team score 500+, etc. This MCG wicket has had something for the bowlers but it has also provided scoring opportunties for the batsmen.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, stquinto said:

"Knock knock"

"Who's there ?"

"Jehovah's witnesses"

"Come on in, what do you want to talk about ?"

"Faaark knows, never go this far before..."

I had a church lady at the door once and despite my honest answers about not being interested she kept going. Eventually I just said to her look I'm not interested in church stuff but your rather good looking and in nice shape. I wouldn't mind you coming in for some sex. She replied I'm married and I said my missus is at work I don't mind if you dont. She ended up saying no thanks I will just leave you alone and then mentioned her husbands name and how she had to be honest with him about my proposal. Her husband was a manager at my work lucky I didn't give her my name. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I had a church lady at the door once and despite my honest answers about not being interested she kept going. Eventually I just said to her look I'm not interested in church stuff but your rather good looking and in nice shape. I wouldn't mind you coming in for some sex. She replied I'm married and I said my missus is at work I don't mind if you dont. She ended up saying no thanks I will just leave you alone and then mentioned her husbands name and how she had to be honest with him about my proposal. Her husband was a manager at my work lucky I didn't give her my name. 

You need to careful what jokes and games you play, times have changed.

A similar thing happened to my son’s wife, she was out for a jog one afternoon and a guy in a ute pulls up and propositioned her.  She told him where to go and kept running toward her house. luckily she noticed a small sticker on the ute rear window, she is very diligent like that with details.  It was a local sugar mill ute.

She ran home and immediately rang the mill and gave all the details.

That evening the sugar mill sent the manager and another bloke around to this guy’s place to collect the work ute and drop off a box of his personal stuff from his locker.  He was sacked on the spot, all in a couple of hours.  Apparently it was not the first time the creep had tried this, that’s according to the day shift manager when he rang to see if she was ok the next day.

• Like 2

@iBooz2 I can understand that if your roaming the streets doing stuff like that and I was lucky with this. But it was annoying for me to need to go that far to get someone away from my house who just wouldn't take no for an answer. My missus thought it was quite funny she had before this had similar dealings with them at the house or sitting outside local supermarket. At the end of the day I legally done nothing wrong I asked a question and she gave an answer at my house that she wouldn't leave until that moment.

I do however get your point times have changed its sad some people can accept no to begin with. She had even taken 3 steps into my house un invited trying to get her point across about how I needed God to cleanse me.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

@jamiek86 @iBooz2 oh well the Jehovahs round here are pretty tame and none so far have been lookers… 🤣

During the 1930s - 1940s the Germans were very hard on those who were considered to be undesirable and those who may have not have been able to fit into the new order.

The  Jehovahs were considered to be part of this group.  As a consequence they were put into concentration camps. To be released all they needed to sign a document renouncing their faith.

It was said that this offer was not taken up.  The Jehovahs were given positions that were integrable in the running of the camps and the better conditions that came along with them.

As a consequence most survived.

• Like 1