Coopers Community

Chill haze.

jackgym

I do to a point. Being that most of us are only brewing for ourselves, it's up to us whether we care about chill haze being there or not. If you don't like it in your beer then there's room for improvement, if you don't care about it then it doesn't matter. 

I don't like it personally but I can't be bothered mucking around with chilling the wort post boil so I use polyclar. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I do to a point. Being that most of us are only brewing for ourselves, it's up to us whether we care about chill haze being there or not. If you don't like it in your beer then there's room for improvement, if you don't care about it then it doesn't matter. 

I don't like it personally but I can't be bothered mucking around with chilling the wort post boil so I use polyclar. 

Yes, I agree. Leaving the wort in the fermenter for 14 days drops most of the stuff out anyway.

6 hours ago, jackgym said:

On another forum:

"chill haze can be mitigated with better brewing practices and process aids like Brewers Clarex. If it's not meant to be there, you have room to improve in your brewing processes."

Who agrees with this ?

I agree but Brewer's Clarex or Clarity Ferm (I think Whitelabs may have purchased the other mob as Brewer's Clarex is always redirecting to Clarity Ferm these days) alone won't do the trick. It surely helps but some additional finings and a decent cold crash are still required to get a really clear beer. I mainly use the Clarity Ferm to reduce gluten content.

In the end, I agree with OvB, it is up to the brewer. I don't mind hazy beer but I also like the aesthetics of a crystal clear brew, so I endeavour to brew as clear as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I brew delicious UNREAL beer using an UNNATURAL process - i.e. cold crash and gelatine.   😜

Would you please kindly outline your process?  I have used Gelatine a few times now and have not got results as clear as I get with Isinglass.  My process with Gelatine is:

• 1 teaspoon Gelatine
  • Sprinkle into 1 cup of cooled boiled water
  • Leave to "bloom" for 30-60 minutes
  • Give jug a jiggle every now and then after sitting for 30 minutes so gelatine flakes sink
  • Microwave in 5-7 second bursts, stirring in between, until the flakes disappear and liquid is clear
  • Add to fermenter that is already cold crashing
  • Bottle/keg a few days later
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Would you please kindly outline your process?  I have used Gelatine a few times now and have not got results as clear as I get with Isinglass.  My process with Gelatine is:

• 1 teaspoon Gelatine
  • Sprinkle into 1 cup of cooled boiled water
  • Leave to "bloom" for 30-60 minutes
  • Give jug a jiggle every now and then after sitting for 30 minutes so gelatine flakes sink
  • Microwave in 5-7 second bursts, stirring in between, until the flakes disappear and liquid is clear
  • Add to fermenter that is already cold crashing
  • Bottle/keg a few days later

My process is much simpler - teaspoon of gelatine in cold water to allow it to bloom, maybe 15mins then I pour in some boiled water to fully dissolve and then in she goes!  And that's it! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

My process is much simpler - teaspoon of gelatine in cold water to allow it to bloom, maybe 15mins then I pour in some boiled water to fully dissolve and then in she goes!  And that's it! 

Do exactly the same!!!!! Works fine for me!!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BlackSands said:

6 hours ago, mrchino73 said:

Do exactly the same!!!!! Works fine for me!!!!

Thanks brewers.  I will give this a go soon.  Certainly easier.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Same here mate - seems to work a treat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:
6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Same here mate - seems to work a treat.

Do you have to stir it in? Has CC already started or do you add it before CC starts?

Hey Toner, @Tone boy I have been adding the gelatine mix 24 hours after the CC has started. I do not stir it into the FV - just pour it in evenly and the jobs done. It works for me. I think from memory it was @BlackSands who had advised me not to faff about with the process too much -it works for me anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jackgym said:

Chill haze doesn't worry me. I asked the question because I had an argument with
some clown who said if chill haze is present you haven't brewed properly.

Well that person certainly isn’t correct. For one, who cares lol and secondly, I’d argue you have brewed properly, you havnt chilled properly. The best way to get on top of eliminating chill haze is to quick chill your wort prior to fermentation. You can dump other stuff in post ferment but the best way is chilling the wort as quickly as possible. 

• Like 1