Jump to content
Coopers Community

has anyone made a dark/real ale toucan?


spuddox
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, spuddox said:

 

I'm thinking maybe too bitter but in that case would adding honey or something reduce bitterness if 

Hi Spud maybe a little lactose could help sweeten it up? I have no experience with honey. U could also add 1kg DME or a bit less, that will up the ABV tho of course and cause a big krausen with the 2 extract tins. I'm sure some of the others will give a more educated opinion/ and advice, cheers mate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks for the reply mate  I've been reading about lactose and I'll have to try it in something for sure now and my mates old man told me he always put honey in his home brews as it apparently reduces bitterness and also ups the abv but either way i got the cans cheap so I'm happy to experiment and hopefully learn from the process lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I ended making this toucan near the end of last year and i added 1 kg of be3 with both full cans...it was interesting to say the least   it didn't taste bad at all really just strange compared to usual beers i've made and it also finished at 7.8% so it wasn't the best beer to just have a few glasses of after work cause it kicked in quite hard lol but really not a bad beer overall just different.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spuddox said:

I ended making this toucan near the end of last year and i added 1 kg of be3 with both full cans...it was interesting to say the least   it didn't taste bad at all really just strange compared to usual beers i've made and it also finished at 7.8% so it wasn't the best beer to just have a few glasses of after work cause it kicked in quite hard lol but really not a bad beer overall just different.

Probably the kind of beer to be drinking in the cooler months at a heart warming 7.8%. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2021 at 9:48 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

@spuddox, Dark Ale and Real Ale toucan sounds something like SMOTY Ale.  So not bad at all.  The Dark/Real is probably a bit more bitter, but the more complex flavours might complement the brew.

Just did one ready to try since a few days, but with post Corona tastebuds I'll wait a few more days to give my judgement

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Just did one ready to try since a few days, but with post Corona tastebuds I'll wait a few more days to give my judgement

Just tried a long neck of my Smoty Ale,  ABV 5.1%. It is so dark. Nice and bitter, not to flowery and sweet. Great head. I am happy with it. Will try a stubby later on, as I find (maybe it's just in my head) different sizes of bottles taste different. Would I do it again? Yes..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Just tried a long neck of my Smoty Ale,  ABV 5.1%. It is so dark. Nice and bitter, not to flowery and sweet. Great head. I am happy with it. Will try a stubby later on, as I find (maybe it's just in my head) different sizes of bottles taste different. Would I do it again? Yes..

SMOTY is one of my faves. i'm currently brewing a super SMOTY saison with the addition of brew enhancer 2 and BE-134 saison yeast to the original recipe (and not using the can yeasts) 🍻

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

correction to my toucan recipe after reading my recipes today... it actually finished at 6.9% using be2    a dark ale recipe with be3 and malt and dex etc..i wrote down before the toucan was the one that finished at 7.8%  lol i was most definitely drinking the dark ale while making the toucan so i seemed to have mixed up what i wrote down a little bit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Just did one ready to try since a few days, but with post Corona tastebuds I'll wait a few more days to give my judgement

You've been drinking this? 😄 

CoronaExtraBeer_1523x.png?v=1643674965

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...