Coopers Community

So, Coppers got Choppers!

Journeyman

As in, the pigs are flying! 😄

I'm considering making some lower ABV beers. I never thought I would as I like being able to have maybe 3 beers and feel the buzz but sometimes we have to reconsider our decisions.

See... A couple of times recently, for um... reasons, I've wanted to have a beer in the afternoon, but I know with my beers, that means I'm gonna be pretty pissed when it comes to making dinner. I was considering ducking into BWS and getting a few takeaways and then thought... "WTF! am I thinking!"

So, time to make a few beers circa 4.5% ABV so I can quench a thirst when needed. 😄

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

As in, the pigs are flying! 😄

I'm considering making some lower ABV beers. I never thought I would as I like being able to have maybe 3 beers and feel the buzz but sometimes we have to reconsider our decisions.

See... A couple of times recently, for um... reasons, I've wanted to have a beer in the afternoon, but I know with my beers, that means I'm gonna be pretty pissed when it comes to making dinner. I was considering ducking into BWS and getting a few takeaways and then thought... "WTF! am I thinking!"

So, time to make a few beers circa 4.5% ABV so I can quench a thirst when needed. 😄

The thing I've discovered is you obtain more flavour making your own beer as opposed to buying commercial low alcohol beer. Commercially the best midstrength I've tried is Coopers Mild but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. Brands like XXXX Gold and Hahn 3.5 have the flavour of Birrell. IMO Garbage!
Early in my DIY journey I made the English Bitter tin with 500g LDM, not knowing it would be a lower alcohol beer. Flavour-wise I couldn't tell it was low alcohol. I even had mates try it and they preferred it over the aforementioned commercial brands.
Having some sessionable beer on hand isn't going to hurt. 

• Like 4

I recently brewed a Coopers APA for someone.

I told him tasting would be next weekend, but I thought I'd better try one first.
Opened the first one tonight. Not too bad at all. Finished around 3%,

I think my mate will be happy with it.

Coopers APA
200 grams lme
05 yeast
25 Grams Galaxy
25 Grams Cascade

• Like 3

Ah, didn't realise the edit feature had moved. Still here's another post.

I was going to say I think I'm going to make a few beers a bit lower in alcohol.

I had a SMOTY that was nearly 6%. If I had a couple of those while making dinner I'd probably be falling asleep at the BBQ.

Going back a few years now, but. One Sunday I was having a beer or two while doing the roast and cutting up the veggies.
The knife was a bit sharp. Slipped and cut my finger. The kids were young so it meant the whole family were packed into
the car for me to go to hospital to have a couple of stitches put in the finger.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Graculus said:

Going back a few years now, but. One Sunday I was having a beer or two while doing the roast and cutting up the veggies.
The knife was a bit sharp. Slipped and cut my finger. The kids were young so it meant the whole family were packed into
the car for me to go to hospital to have a couple of stitches put in the finger.

I mean there's a rare cut and then there's a really rare cut. 😄

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

The thing I've discovered is you obtain more flavour making your own beer as opposed to buying commercial low alcohol beer. Commercially the best midstrength I've tried is Coopers Mild but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

12 hours ago, Graculus said:

Opened the first one tonight. Not too bad at all. Finished around 3%,

I don't think I'm quite ready for beers in the low to mid range just yet. 😄 Just something a little under the 7% - 8% I've been making. 😄 I made a couple of 6%'s a while back so I think I'll be aiming for maybe a 5% to get the taste for it.

If I do this and I start getting drunk on 4 or 5 beers at the Club I'm going to be rather upset! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've only once ever brewed a beer that was over 6%. 

I've been doing lower ABV (3.4% - 4%) for quite a while now - mostly for the purposes of reducing carb/calorie intake.  However I'm starting to realise this is a flawed strategy.  I just end up drinking more!  So, I'm now wondering if it might actually make more sense to brew high ABV beers and just drink less?  Or does it all still add up to the same thing...  I might have to do that maths on that one!  🤓

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I've only once ever brewed a beer that was over 6%. 

I've been doing lower ABV (3.4% - 4%) for quite a while now - mostly for the purposes of reducing carb/calorie intake.  However I'm starting to realise this is a flawed strategy.  I just end up drinking more!  So, I'm now wondering if it might actually make more sense to brew high ABV beers and just drink less?  Or does it all still add up to the same thing...  I might have to do that maths on that one!  🤓

That's always been debatable, I think a mix of each sorts it, works for me anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean, I'd like to have some session beers at around 4.5% and ideally something hopppy at around 3% just to see if it's drinkable. I saw a recipe for Nelson's Light on the site, should try something similar one day.

My personal choise is around 6%. But that would only be about three of them, before dinner, which would be with some vino collapso. 

Then back on to beer if it's a weekend.  A weekday would be good to have the lighter beers, but commercial ones taste really pi**y

• Like 1