Coopers Community

why doesnt the store sell ingredients in bulk?

acc

I typically buy dry malt and dextrose in bulk from other brew shops because the coopers store only sells 1kg or 500g

It would be great if they did this because AFAIK all their products are made in australia?

8 hours ago, acc said:

I typically buy dry malt and dextrose in bulk from other brew shops because the coopers store only sells 1kg or 500g

It would be great if they did this because AFAIK all their products are made in australia?

Yep, made in Australia from AFAIK Australian ingredients.

I guess it is as much about what the customer wants, as what the retailer is happy to sit on their shelves.

I do buy my LDM in 5kg bags from a LHBS these days because I can, it is cheaper and the stuff I get dissolves really well.

Early on I tended to buy the ROTM.  Otherwise I would buy what I needed for a specific recipe.  So for me, the 500g/1kg bags worked well.

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do buy my LDM in 5kg bags from a LHBS these days because I can, it is cheaper and the stuff I get dissolves really well.

Is there any truth in what some say re the cheaper and courser granulated LDM, that it is candy grade which is a much lower grade and only meant to be used in lolly manufacture.  Invert grade sugars?

I don't know, just asking that's all.

41 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Is there any truth in what some say re the cheaper and courser granulated LDM, that it is candy grade which is a much lower grade and only meant to be used in lolly manufacture.  Invert grade sugars?

I don't know, just asking that's all.

No idea.  But I have wondered about what you say.  Although the Coopers LDM is a bugger to dissolve, it might be a better product.

I buy 20kg bags of LDME. I then bag it up in kilo bags and put it in air tight containers.

Bit messy, but cheaper.  I get it from a local health food store who also sells homebrew.
I tell him how much I can buy it for form ebay & he beats the price by $10 or so.

He tells me that most people can't be bothered with mucking around too much.
If a recipe calls for 25 grams of hops they're quite happy to go in and buy those Morgans hops.

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No idea.  But I have wondered about what you say.  Although the Coopers LDM is a bugger to dissolve, it might be a better product.

I get mine from Beerbelly & it dissolves just great.  CVery fine though - gotta be careful tipping it into the bowl on the scales or it can puff out and I have to clean sticky stuff off the counter. But I just tip it in, brief stir and it's dissolved.

30 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I get mine from Beerbelly & it dissolves just great.  CVery fine though - gotta be careful tipping it into the bowl on the scales or it can puff out and I have to clean sticky stuff off the counter. But I just tip it in, brief stir and it's dissolved.

I have a few LHBS near me that sell it in I kg bags as well as bulk so that's easier for me instead of paying freight etc.

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a few LHBS near me that sell it in I kg bags as well as bulk so that's easier for me instead of paying freight etc.

BB ships up to 25kg to me for $8.50 - free works if I'm going to be in Adelaide but that's a damn good rate! 😄

5 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I was thinking about this last time I saw bulk dry malt on a homebrew store website. What sort of bags do you use to split it up? Big snaplock bags?

Yes, I put it in ziplock bags. Then into containers like this.

I bought the containers half price too.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/sistema-klip-it-plus-rectangle-container-7-5l/p/107063?store=178&gclid=CjwKCAjwwsmLBhACEiwANq-tXHy12fnqioAQ-TTYVZQzTDtcXhS_yb1Hfwa8wt30fzhRRcKkQ8vhoBoCjfkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

or there's 10 litre ones too. I bought mine in Coles and I don't think they had them.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/sistema-klip-it-plus-rectangle-container-10l/p/107064?store=178&gclid=CjwKCAjwwsmLBhACEiwANq-tXKp9rycJ43MPsLGTTagf5-pIS_ZmP4dg2g6Ke4WFL3uwx_iF66ZCyxoCfuQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The price of 20 kilo bags has gone up a fair bit, but then again I suppose the price of buying single kilo bags has gone up too.
I bought the first one off ebay. But then when I got to know the bloke in the store better I asked him.
I told him how much I could get it delivered for. He beats the price.

It's a bit messy and sticky as anything weighing it out, but I was saving between $3 & $4 a kilo.

• Thanks 1