Coopers Community

Storing opened extract cans?

acc

is it ok to put some cling wrap on the top and store in the fridge for like a month?

Ive heard you shouldnt store normal food cans back in the can after opening because of the plastic lining or something. same deal?

This debate goes on forever.  First we were told exposure to the air would impart a metalic taste from the tin.  Then we were told plastic lined tins would expose us to BPAs and turn us all into lady men.  Modern life is so confusing...

In situations like this I always ask myself 'What would Nan have done ?'  🤔

Put the open can in a sink of hot water so it becomes runny then pour it into a clean wide mouthed jar and put the lid on (when it is cool).  You can even rinse the can with a little hot water to get every last drop.  A little water is not going to spoil the extract. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

This debate goes on forever.  First we were told exposure to the air would impart a metalic taste from the tin.  Then we were told plastic lined tins would expose us to BPAs and turn us all into lady men.  Modern life is so confusing...

Put the open can in a sink of hot water so it becomes runny then pour it into a clean wide mouthed jar and put the lid on (when it is cool).  You can even rinse the can with a little hot water to get every last drop.  A little water is not going to spoil the extract. 

I have only done it a couple of times with some recipes & I tightly covered it in cling film for 1 week & it was fine but not sure how long it would be safe, probably not much longer.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Yep. Would be food for a month I reckon.

8 hours ago, acc said:

is it ok to put some cling wrap on the top and store in the fridge for like a month?

Ive heard you shouldnt store normal food cans back in the can after opening because of the plastic lining or something. same deal?

Not sure about cans, but a few of the Coopers regulars have commented, so I reckon it will be good.  

I have stored half a MJ softpack of Liquid Malt Extract in the fridge for at least a month before using the second half.  I got no detrimental effects from that.