Coopers Community

At what point do wives start getting mad about your homebrewing?

terminal2k

On 10/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, Journeyman said:

Only thing she doesn't like is the grains smell when I'm doing mash/boils in the kitchen.

Yep this is what I get in trouble for. Although was 10 times worse when SWMBO was pregnant. 

I find it often comes in waves, starts with "you drink to much",  the middle is "how much do you spend" and the final part is "you spend more time with your homebrew than the kids".

She did just encourage me to buy a new keg and second gas bottle - so must be in the good books at the moment.

• Haha 3

So far, so good. It was SWMBO who actually encouraged me to get back into brewing a few years back and introducing things bit by bit seems to be acceptable too. She took the opportunity to make my Guten a combined birthday and xmas present and the prospect of not having to bottle was enough to ok the move to kegs. Bonus was that the Kegerator was paid with my tax return. Now I get 2 more kegs for xmas 🙂 

In total, I have 4 big and 2 small FVs (usually only 2 active), 2 ferment fridges, the Kegerator, currently 6 kegs, a bar fridge, the Guten, heaps of grain and hops and took over a room in the house for my "brewery". She did kinda not like the thought of another small freezer to convert into a keezer though.

She hates beer and the smell of hops but loves the smell of mashing grain, despite being coeliac. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a ripper of a Mrs.  The area where I brew is an old school octagonal gazebo. You know the ones which were popular in the late 80/90s on hinterland acreages here in SEQ.  She has decided that it is not really suitable for what I do so she is now chasing quotes to have it replaced with an 9m x4.5m man cave so I can have me Keezer, which is in the garage, all my brewing gear fermentation chamber etc all in one spot. She is a ripper.  Will have a bar, power, water, lounge TV and all the snizzle a bloke would need.  One end will have a separating wall so I have my workshop, tools,  ride on and stuff.   Yep third time lucky, this one is a keeper. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I have a ripper of a Mrs.  The area where I brew is an old school octagonal gazebo. You know the ones which were popular in the late 80/90s on hinterland acreages here in SEQ.  She has decided that it is not really suitable for what I do so she is now chasing quotes to have it replaced with an 9m x4.5m man cave so I can have me Keezer, which is in the garage, all my brewing gear fermentation chamber etc all in one spot. She is a ripper.  Will have a bar, power, water, lounge TV and all the snizzle a bloke would need.  One end will have a separating wall so I have my workshop, tools,  ride on and stuff.   Yep third time lucky, this one is a keeper. 

You must be one of the lucky ones @MartyG1525230263 & good on you, I have said I am single on here before but the feedback I get from some of the married blokes on here tells me they are not all allowed the freedom you have. It's great to have everything in one room/man cave etc, they can do the same with their own projects whatever they may be. I have a few jealous mate's but you have to remind them they got their selves in that position but that's OK I am not  criticising those who have partners.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

She has decided that it is not really suitable for what I do so she is now chasing quotes to have it replaced with an 9m x4.5m man cave so I can have me Keezer, which is in the garage, all my brewing gear fermentation chamber etc all in one spot. She is a ripper.  Will have a bar, power, water, lounge TV and all the snizzle a bloke would need.  One end will have a separating wall so I have my workshop, tools,  ride on and stuff

Hmm... I wonder what she thinks about changing the house locks? 😄 Make it a GOOD man cave, just in case! 😄 

• Haha 1

In the past, at a rough estimate, I would have spent a minimum of $2500 p.a. on bottle shop booze. That doesn't include $7-$10 pints (in SA, schooners elsewhere) I'd indulge in regularly at the local pub or the dollars pumped into poker machines. You could easily double that amount and possibly more that I have blown every year on booze and bets.
Since I started home brewing I probably spend less than $1,000 a year including equipment. With the combination of pubs closing through Covid and my newish hobby I rarely go to the pub these days. I bet mainly online on the nags. I'm not foolish enough to say I win more now but I definitely lose less than I did on pokies.
So if my wife ever says anything about my brewing (she doesn't) but if she did I'd quickly remind her I'm now spending less on beer than she does on soft drinks.

Footnote: I empathise with those who have suffered badly from Covid restrictions but personally they were a financial boon. I was able to continue working, broke an expensive habit and massively reduced our household debt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

In the past, at a rough estimate, I would have spent a minimum of $2500 p.a. on bottle shop booze. That doesn't include $7-$10 pints (in SA, schooners elsewhere) I'd indulge in regularly at the local pub or the dollars pumped into poker machines. You could easily double that amount and possibly more that I have blown every year on booze and bets.
Since I started home brewing I probably spend less than $1,000 a year including equipment. With the combination of pubs closing through Covid and my newish hobby I rarely go to the pub these days. I bet mainly online on the nags. I'm not foolish enough to say I win more now but I definitely lose less than I did on pokies.
So if my wife ever says anything about my brewing (she doesn't) but if she did I'd quickly remind her I'm now spending less on beer than she does on soft drinks.

Footnote: I empathise with those who have suffered badly from Covid restrictions but personally they were a financial boon. I was able to continue working, broke an expensive habit and massively reduced our household debt.

Onyaa Muzzy.

Whenever swmbo raises her eyebrows about me buying stuff it only takes me a moment to remind her that I'm making over $100 worth of grog (at retail) for around $27. Soon shuts up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Onyaa Muzzy.

Whenever swmbo raises her eyebrows about me buying stuff it only takes me a moment to remind her that I'm making over $100 worth of grog (at retail) for around $27. Soon shuts up.

100% correct. The more you drink, the more you save. Sound economics, Spursman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My wife is superb, although she hates beer full stop, rarely drinks these days, but is always super supportive of my hobby. ( Even picks me up from the pub if it’s not too late, although I rarely go these days as I have 6 beers on tap in the cave, plus kayo sports so I’m all set ). She Sometimes picks up supplies for me if I’m busy or working away if I ring through and pre-order the stuff, as she wouldn’t know what was what which is understandable. Good thing is the Manager of my LHBS used to be mates in the Air Force with my wife’s late father, so she doesn’t mind going there and saying g,day. 

‘If I ever want new equipment I do my research, mull it over, then research more.

It’s actually me that says hmm, do I really need this, she usually says well you’ve done your research, go for it as she knows I work hard. 🤣🤣

As long as I can prove to her that it’s going to be worthwhile, and makes things easier for me, she supports me 100%.

‘Yeah I’ve snagged a good one, should of married her in the first place ( we used to date yrs ago ) instead of the other bloody witch I married firstly, who would not of allowed any of this brewing or me even being on a beer forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway that’s in the past and all is great now, great home brew beer, great wife, life is good, happy happy. 😁😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

‘If I ever want new equipment I do my research, mull it over, then research more.

That's me with computer parts these days. I used to continuously upgrade my computers but that's changed now. Now it is a case of should I spend 700 bucks on a processor, when I could buy lots of grain and bits and pieces for brewing with the money 🙂 But I do try to slow down my descent into the rabbit hole. It seems to go exponentially, the further down you get, the faster you go. Drooled over a 65l Brewzilla at the LHBS the other day when I had a gas bottle refilled but I wiped up the mess and left it there 🙂 It wouldn't have fit into the boot anyway as there was a fortnights worth of groceries in there and the backseat was full of fruit and veg from the markets (yes, yes, the joys of driving a coupé)  and I didn't think it was fair to make SWMBO walk home😂 She's a keeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, terminal2k said:

all I see is snakes and spiders

Yes, plenty of snakes. Have an absolutely beautiful 2metre plus carpet snake who thinks the roof is a tree.  About this time last year saw an absolutely huge Eastern Brown on our driveway.  Keep clear of those. Not to mention the green tree snakes and the yellow face whip snakes but the Jack Russells takes care of them.  One of my JRT is a supreme snaker. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yes, plenty of snakes. Have an absolutely beautiful 2metre plus carpet snake who thinks the roof is a tree.  About this time last year saw an absolutely huge Eastern Brown on our driveway.  Keep clear of those. Not to mention the green tree snakes and the yellow face whip snakes but the Jack Russells takes care of them.  One of my JRT is a supreme 

Way to go Marty. If that doesn't keep the pesky southern invaders out then we'll have to wheel out the big guns: Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter live in Qld and the Drop Bears are getting more aggressive towards pastey faced humans.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Spursman said:

Way to go Marty. If that doesn't keep the pesky southern invaders out then we'll have to wheel out the big guns: Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter live in Qld and the Drop Bears are getting more aggressive towards pastey faced humans.

But I'm not afraid of pauline, bob or drop bears

• Haha 1

Wives will complain about EVERYTHING, because its in their nature.....they are breed that way! I like to have order/cleanness in my kitchen for 2 main reasons:

1) I am the one who cooks and love to have everything all right, when doing it!

2) I am not the one with a tkd black belt at home ...

Hahahahahah!!!

• Haha 3

Homebrew ? What homebrew ?

As posted before, my amazing disappearing storeroom- now you see it:

storeroom_2.thumb.jpg.20e0d3ea5ae9aab450249ac4f969d0d9.jpg

now you don't...

storeroom_1.thumb.jpg.d994b1016059c10413b6c03f77ef0c7e.jpg

But no worries though, it's classed as a hobby, along with sourdough bread making, so it is considered A Good Thing.

Probably rather me pouring it out once brewed but hey, can't win 'em all.

Times change of course. SWMBO being a (mainly) veggie, 25 years ago it would be "don't worry that I don't get much choice on the menu, seeing you have a nice meal is good enough for me" to "what's there for me to eat?" or "my salad cost 15 ChF and your meat was 35 ChF !"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2