Coopers Community

At what point do wives start getting mad about your homebrewing?

terminal2k

That will depend on a number of factors.

1) How much room will you take up in the kitchen?

2) How much mess will you make in the kitchen?

3) How long will  your brewing activities occupy said facility?

4) How much will your consumption of your produce affect the normal performance of your- -er- -er- - duties?

Carefully consider all factors. The stakes are high!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ha Ha I sometimes feel sorry for you guys, ( all due respect to happily married couples ) I have 4 Fermenters also & I have an entire room dedicated to home brewing & I use my kitchen & clean up but I can take as long as I like. In addition to that I have 3 Bars - one outside & girly posters & beer collectables everywhere, my point is I am single 🤣

I can only imagine what it would be like to told you can't/shouldn't do this & that etc or have someone generally make it harder to brew as much as you want when you want, anyway I think may have made my point. Good Luck. 😬

nagging_wife.jpg.fdd76574715e01a19d21b8b28f7132ab.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Worts and all said:

That will depend on a number of factors.

1) How much room will you take up in the kitchen?

2) How much mess will you make in the kitchen?

3) How long will  your brewing activities occupy said facility?

4) How much will your consumption of your produce affect the normal performance of your- -er- -er- - duties?

Carefully consider all factors. The stakes are high!

Actually the MOST important factor you have left out... DOES SHE DRINK BEER!

I struck lucky - SWMBO has always hated beer - I tried for a decade to get her to like something! Her spirits prefs were very expensive when we went out!

Turns out I should'a just got into home brew - she likes what I make. She even contributes on occasion to the costs. 😄 Only thing she doesn't like is the grains smell when I'm doing mash/boils in the kitchen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

DOES SHE DRINK BEER!

she'll drink a sour. nothing with any hint of hops in it. she might like porters or stouts, but as I don't drink these, she hasn't really had a chance to try them.

in all honesty, she's been a very reasonable wife over the years. I'm still basically doing KnK so I haven't made anything that can be smelled all around the house yet.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah it would help if they like beer as long as they don't drink it all while you are at work. 😲

She couldn't get away with that - 2 SA pints of my brews has her well-tipsy. 3 tends to have her verging to the blotto. 😄 

3 hours ago, terminal2k said:

Just had my second mini fermenter arrive and about to chuck a NW pale into it. Seeing as this now puts me with two mini fermenters and two regular size, how much longer do I have before my wife starts getting the shits with me?

Well, put it this way, when your fv leaks all over the floor and your bottle bombs go off at 2.30 am the female of the species can see an opportunity for pay back.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

She couldn't get away with that - 2 SA pints of my brews has her well-tipsy. 3 tends to have her verging to the blotto. 😄 

Well for some that is motive for 🤔 well for, all sorts of things, but at the end of the day they should be able to have a few out of the tap or the bottle. My next door neighbor & her girl friend go out for the night some weekends & sometimes knock on my door after as they like my homebrew, it's like pouring petrol on the fire if you know what I mean, Double Drunk females, not a pretty sight but I am a gentleman so I help where I can. 🤣 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

My next door neighbor & her girl friend go out for the night some weekends & sometimes knock on my door after as they like my homebrew, it's like pouring petrol on the fire if you know what I mean, Double Drunk females, not a pretty sight but I am a gentleman so I help where I can.

I don't suppose they look a bit like the pair you were so 'gentlemanly' with at the races? 😄 

'cos we ALL got time for that... 😄 And hey, maybe a little elderly gentlemanly attention might convert them? 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I don't suppose they look a bit like the pair you were so 'gentlemanly' with at the races? 😄 

'cos we ALL got time for that... 😄 And hey, maybe a little elderly gentlemanly attention might convert them? 😄 

Sadly they are not as "hot" as the girls at the races but great girls with bubbling personalities & they like a good time but I am a gentleman 😂  🐷's a....

Single girls/women seem to have changed over the years but I am not complaining, I think they just like their freedom & heaps of drinks. 🍻

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Journeyman said:

One might just say, "But I am a gentleman - John Elliot" 😄

Reminds me of an experience I had Uber driving a few years ago. Picked up a female and opened the car door for her. With a surly face she said something like " just because I'm a lady doesn't mean I can't open a car door!" Well, l wasn't copping that so I shot back at her " I didn't open the door for you because you are a lady, clearly that has yet to be determined, I opened it because I am a gentleman ".

Shut up like a book she did, although it cost me a 1 star rating.

• Haha 3

I must be lucky . . .iv gone away for months at a time messaged the wife and asked her to put a brew down for me or the very least rotate my barrel. I messaged her recently and asked her to grab some consumables to fill up 3 FV's so when I'm back home I can run those FV's through. 

She's also designing labels for my Spirit bottles as these will be given out as gifts this year so all I need to do when I get home is empty a barrel, dilute to 40% and put some lids on some bottles. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I must be lucky . . .iv gone away for months at a time messaged the wife and asked her to put a brew down for me or the very least rotate my barrel. I messaged her recently and asked her to grab some consumables to fill up 3 FV's so when I'm back home I can run those FV's through. 

She's also designing labels for my Spirit bottles as these will be given out as gifts this year so all I need to do when I get home is empty a barrel, dilute to 40% and put some lids on some bottles. 

When you wake up, can please post the reality. 

Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Can I borrow your wife? Mine will help with capping or filling bottles, but nothing else

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

"Give me a woman who truly loves beer and I will get a padlock for the fridge" - Thirsty Jim

Well now that describes my Wife.. She loves a beer, happy to sit and have ten or so beers (Cans) a Day..

Have to keep her on the lighter side or she gets a bit  Agro but it's a compromise.

Gotta love Life.

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, terminal2k said:

how much longer do I have before my wife starts getting the shits with me?

I have 6 kegs, a grain mill, heaps of grain, heaps of hops, 6 fermenters and a keezeer. My missus has never been happier

• Like 2
  • Haha 1