Coopers Community

Can you use the leftovers/dregs of a brew at the bottom of the fermenter in a new brew?

paultparsons

45 minutes ago, paultparsons said:

Just wondering if you can use the leftover/dregs (after you've bottled) of a brew in a new brew.

Yes you sure can and it can save you a lot money and you get the most out of your packet of yeast.

For your first go I would use the same style of beer that you have just bottled.

Tip off most of beer that you can't bottle.  Clean off the krausen  ring at the top of the fermentor and give it a final wipe with a clean piece paper towel moistened with sanitiser.

Remove the tap and clean sanitise and replace.

Just make the rest of the brew as you did -- Minus the yeast. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:04 AM, paultparsons said:

Just wondering if you can use the leftover/dregs (after you've bottled) of a brew in a new brew.

I’ve kept the Coopers Commercial from a cuppla brews, went for it like a rat up a drainpipe on the second brew - kicked off in under 8 hours. Don’t forget to clean the jars you put it with the sanitizer you use for your bottles. 
I’ve heard that with some high-strength brews it doesn’t work though

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I’ve heard that with some high-strength brews it doesn’t work though

It does, I did a Baltic Porter with the yeast cake, it’s like a giant starter and smashed the brew. All I did was replace the tap with a clean one. I did a Pilsner first then the Porter with 34/70 About to have one shortly cheers 🍻 

• Like 3