Coopers Community

Glass Swing Top Bottles 750ml

Classic Brewing Co

Hey Guys, has anyone used the 750ml Grolsch style bottles for home brew ? I have a large collection of the 450ml & a few of the old American style 500ml but I have never tried the larger 750ml. I can buy them locally but & $30 for 12 it would be an expensive exercise to build up a decent collection.

I get superb results from the 450ml & they are fast becoming my favourite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Guys, has anyone used the 750ml Grolsch style bottles for home brew ? I have a large collection of the 450ml & a few of the old American style 500ml but I have never tried the larger 750ml. I can buy them locally but & $30 for 12 it would be an expensive exercise to build up a decent collection.

I get superb results from the 450ml & they are fast becoming my favourite.

I couldnt see no issues why the grolsch style wouldnt work  , the only question is  if the are the green style bottle or clear you would just have to keep them in a dark area of the house  (you already knew that)   

providing you did your maintence every so often on the swingtops and changed the  seals  etc you wouldnt have a issue

• Like 1

@Classic Brewing Co, I used similar ones a while ago.  I got them second-hand.  I was disappointed with their sealing.  1 in 4 was flat.  I replaced the seals with rubber ones.  None of these failed.  The ones I got may have just been used a lot.

I went away from them moreso due to their size.  If I wanted "just one more glass" I had to open a full 750ml.  And of course I ended up drinking it.  It is hard to moderate when all your bottles are 750's.  They are also surprisingly tall.  A fair bit more than standard Coopers or CUB 750ml bottles.

I now mostly bottle, what does not fit in a keg, in 450ml Grolsch and a couple of 750ml PET's.  Got some 330ml swing-tops from Aldi too.

• Like 2

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Classic Brewing Co, I used similar ones a while ago.  I got them second-hand.  I was disappointed with their sealing.  1 in 4 was flat.  I replaced the seals with rubber ones.  None of these failed.  The ones I got may have just been used a lot.

I went away from them moreso due to their size.  If I wanted "just one more glass" I had to open a full 750ml.  And of course I ended up drinking it.  It is hard to moderate when all your bottles are 750's.  They are also surprisingly tall.  A fair bit more than standard Coopers or CUB 750ml bottles.

I now mostly bottle, what does not fit in a keg, in 450ml Grolsch and a couple of 750ml PET's.  Got some 330ml swing-tops from Aldi too.

Yes Shamus I think I will stick to the 450ml as they are a good size. It's better to drink 900ml than 1.5ml - what am I saying ? 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes Shamus I think I will stick to the 450ml as they are a good size. It's better to drink 900ml than 1.5ml - what am I saying ? 🤔 

Good idea.  I was a bit confused by what you typed because I have half a dozen 1.5 litre Grolsch magnums.  These create great troubles when I want to have "just one more".

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good idea.  I was a bit confused by what you typed because I have half a dozen 1.5 litre Grolsch magnums.  These create great troubles when I want to have "just one more".

I actually meant by drinking 450ml x 2 = 900ml as compared to opening a 750ml bottle each time - still doesn't sound right 🤔

But anyway I agree 1.5ml is a tall order. 🍾

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah I have a 2L grolsch style bottle. In my wisdom I filled it one time with a nice Belgian quad. When I came to drinking it I realised it was 13 or 14 standard drinks in one bottle and I'm the only one of my family friends who appreciate Belgians. Won't be filling it again with anything other than a normal strength beer.

• Haha 3

My daughters gave me a case of Mangrove Jacks 750ml swingers…. Just did a batch of Coopers Vintage 21…seems appropriate…. The rest of the 21l batch is in 750ml PET. My overall preference has been 500ml bottles… you know essentially a metric pint.  Going to test one today (only been a week) and see if I need to add a 3rd pellet to get a good CO2 saturation.  I have a slab of the Coopers made Vintage 21…. So will be an interested test and comparison.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 7:32 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes Shamus I think I will stick to the 450ml as they are a good size. It's better to drink 900ml than 1.5ml - what am I saying ?

Ah yes now I see it, sorry I must have had a senior moment, I will go & have a lie down. 😳

Here you go Phil, live it up for the long weekend! 😄
3ml-syringe-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-c4d-ma.jpg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Here you go Phil, live it up for the long weekend! 😄

Hmmm' 🤔 I wonder what you mean @Journeyman  I actually have one of those, Beer Belly supply them for measuring StellarStan, as you can see I haven't used it ( for anything )

I am sure as hell I won't need the one you sent 😬 I can get into enough trouble drinking beer 🍻

20211002_111650.thumb.jpg.a768b74636fea8fecb2843339a1e864e.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hmmm' 🤔 I wonder what you mean @Journeyman  I actually have one of those, Beer Belly supply them for measuring StellarStan, as you can see I haven't used it ( for anything )

I am sure as hell I won't need the one you sent 😬 I can get into enough trouble drinking beer 🍻

Well, given your concerns and predilection for 1.5ml of beer, I figure this would give you a double dose. 😄 You said... "It's better to drink 900ml than 1.5ml - what am I saying ?" clearly implying your idea that 1.5ml is somehow superior to 900ml. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 3

I have a few 33cl and 50cl swingies, and also a collection of Belgian 75cl bottles. They're really solid, but need a 29mm cap.  If I am "laying down" a Belgian dubbel I make sure I don't over prime it as you get some gushers. The only thing about that is as I prime the beer with sugar dissolved in water in the whole batch of beer I have to wait 3 months for the lot to carbonate. I have a batch that has been waiting for about 6 months, probably about time to start on it.