Coopers Community

Abbey dubbel

NEIPA

8 hours ago, NEIPA said:

Would it be acceptable to mix 2 Abbey Dubbel recipes together to make the beer in a 23L fermenter 

Absolutely.  As long as you stick to the 8.5 litre batch x 2 = 17 litre batch, it should turn out exactly the same.

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean

After my first Abbey Dubbel plans were the same as yours, the general idea is if your OG is below 1070 use 1 sachet, if above use 2, BUT if you look at the spread sheet from here & look at the toucans some use 1sachet, some 2, even 8.5 ltr sometime use 2 without having a high OG, I've dropped in an extra 1.3 kg tin sachet of yeast to normal brews just to see how it went, couldn't tell any different, what I did find with a std Abbey Dubbel.

1st brew: OG 1050, after 15 days FG 1013 for 5.5%(claims 6.5%), tasted at 2 weeks: OK, 3 weeks: nice, 4 weeks: beautiful & gone.

2 nd brew: OG 1050, after 20 days FG 1000 for 7.3%(if figures right) it's here the tasting notes failed & the wheels fell off, do remember it was left for 4 weeks & disappeared quick with a bigger batch needed & was yummo.

The Abbey Dubbel is a high sugar brew, so using 2 yeasts shouldn't be a problem, you can add cool boiled water later if too strong.