Coopers Community

True Aussie Bitter

Tone boy

Hey brewers. 
Anyone brewed the True Aussie Bitter from Coopers recipe archive?

I’m looking at making an Aussie bitter style beer for a mate of mine. This one uses the Canadian blonde can and 1kg DME brewed to 20 litres but no extra hops. Just wondering if anyone has tasted this brew and has any feedback on bitterness/taste ?
Thinking I might chuck in some extra PoR hops for extra bitterness/flavour but not sure if needed….

Cheers TB

I can't answer re the bitterness in the can but I'd likely swap out half the LDME for dex. I think maybe that much LDME in the rbew would give it too much body for a typical 'mega-swill-type beer - which is what I presume they are trying to achieve.

PoR sounds right though - not a lot and maybe as a tea instead of a dry hops for a more subtle effect?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey brewers. 
Anyone brewed the True Aussie Bitter from Coopers recipe archive?

I’m looking at making an Aussie bitter style beer for a mate of mine. This one uses the Canadian blonde can and 1kg DME brewed to 20 litres but no extra hops. Just wondering if anyone has tasted this brew and has any feedback on bitterness/taste ?
Thinking I might chuck in some extra PoR hops for extra bitterness/flavour but not sure if needed….

Cheers TB

@Tone boy Yes mate I have made two of these when I was trying to do a beer for my mate Leigh.  First one was as per the recipe.  Comments: Quite nice, malty and not too bitter.  Does not have a head or hold any even on/after an aggressive pour.  Second one with a grain steep (100 g Caramunich 2 as that's all I had at the time) to try and fix head issue.  Comments: An improvement but darker due to grains used of course but needs at least say 200 - 250 g of carapils next time.  This one use the @MUZZY method ver 1.0 but still does not hold its head, in fact its all gone before your second sip.   I have since worked on this recipe and found the only way to fix head issues is a cold steep overnight of 200 -250 g of carapils then a 5 - 10 minute boil.

So hence worked on my own versions starting off with not a kit tin just 2 x Coopers liquid light malt and then bittered it myself with PoR.  Did 5 versions before I reckon I nailed it then moved onto an AG version which I will post up in the my pub lager thread when time permits.

Now if you really want to impress your mate have a look at my pub lager recipe here.  Be warned if you do he will probably want to marry you.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Tone boy a late edit:  Just re-read my brew notes and in the second one (in the attempt to try and fix the head issue) I also swapped out the 2 x 500 g of DME as per the recipe and used 1 x 1.5 kg can of Coopers liquid light malt extract instead but it was still a no go, dud head.  👎

That's why every time I did a K & K after this it always included a cold over night steep of Carapils / Carafoam and found 200 - 250 g about right for 23 L batch.  This gave me nice heads on these beers similar to what I get nowadays on AG.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@Tone boy Yes mate I have made two of these when I was trying to do a beer for my mate Leigh.  First one was as per the recipe.  Comments: Quite nice, malty and not too bitter.  Does not have a head or hold any even on/after an aggressive pour.  Second one with a grain steep (100 g Caramunich 2 as that's all I had at the time) to try and fix head issue.  Comments: An improvement but darker due to grains used of course but needs at least say 200 - 250 g of carapils next time.  This one use the @MUZZY method ver 1.0 but still does not hold its head, in fact its all gone before your second sip.   I have since worked on this recipe and found the only way to fix head issues is a cold steep overnight of 200 -250 g of carapils then a 5 - 10 minute boil.

So hence worked on my own versions starting off with not a kit tin just 2 x Coopers liquid light malt and then bittered it myself with PoR.  Did 5 versions before I reckon I nailed it then moved onto an AG version which I will post up in the my pub lager thread when time permits.

Now if you really want to impress your mate have a look at my pub lager recipe here.  Be warned if you do he will probably want to marry you.

Thanks Boozer, just the info I was looking for. I already have the Canadian can so will run with that, but add 250g carapils and do a short boil with some PoR. 

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Thanks Boozer, just the info I was looking for. I already have the Canadian can so will run with that, but add 250g carapils and do a short boil with some PoR. 

Hi Toner, feel free to go with a short PoR boil.  However, I found the Canadian Blonde with 1.5kg of LME a surprisingly nice brew, particularly with respect to bitterness.  Link to my tasting notes here.  Mine was done with US-05.  If you use Dubbya, it would be even closer to a True Aussie Bitter.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Toner, feel free to go with a short PoR boil.  However, I found the Canadian Blonde with 1.5kg of LME a surprisingly nice brew, particularly with respect to bitterness.  Link to my tasting notes here.  Mine was done with US-05.  If you use Dubbya, it would be even closer to a True Aussie Bitter.

Aah next time…sorry man I put it on today and have just read your post. I was thinking about using 1.5 kg LME , but opted for a BE3 and a small mash with a bit of PoR and Saaz. I’ll post up on “What’s in your fermenter” as I just took a pic. 
Was yours 20 litres Shamus? I took mine out to 23 litres…

Edited by Tone boy