Coopers Community

Off flavours that vanish with time?

bennysbrew

A Few months ago I chimed into a thread about chemical flavours. Was getting 1-2 a season the last few years , and did an English ale early winter with this mysterious strange chemical smell/ taste , nothing like beer, a smell or taste I can't describe.  I've had it a few times for the last three years. 

Anyhow I never got around to tipping this batch. Tried one last weekend , no off flavours, it's beer!? Trying another one now, again, it's fine, decent , good? 

Anyone know specifically what my mettalic/solvent off flavour might be, that vanishes with time? 

After that batch I made a couple of wheats, perfect. Last weekend I bottled a Kolsch, low and behold it's back , same terrible mettalic smell/flavour, but maybe it will get up off the canvas in a few months like the beer I'm drinking now? 

Anyone had similar experiences?

5 hours ago, bennysbrew said:

A Few months ago I chimed into a thread about chemical flavours. Was getting 1-2 a season the last few years , and did an English ale early winter with this mysterious strange chemical smell/ taste , nothing like beer, a smell or taste I can't describe.  I've had it a few times for the last three years. 

Anyhow I never got around to tipping this batch. Tried one last weekend , no off flavours, it's beer!? Trying another one now, again, it's fine, decent , good? 

Anyone know specifically what my mettalic/solvent off flavour might be, that vanishes with time? 

After that batch I made a couple of wheats, perfect. Last weekend I bottled a Kolsch, low and behold it's back , same terrible mettalic smell/flavour, but maybe it will get up off the canvas in a few months like the beer I'm drinking now? 

I’ve had a which I imagined to be a sulphur type aroma with a lager which disappeared with time  which I guess you could describe as chemically but never with an ale yeast.

Edited by RDT2

5 hours ago, bennysbrew said:

I cannot really help, but had a similar experience with a brew a bit over a year ago.  Late last year I did an all grain brew that I split into two fermenters.  Everything the same except brewing temperature.  One I brewed at 24°C and the other brewed at 18°C.   Using the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.  Reviewing my tasting notes, the cooler brew I noted as "Has an almost watery taste. Maybe a bit metallic".  By the time I got toward the end of the (half) keg, the metallic taste had gone away.

Just recently I've had a few similar experiences.  Strangely it's just a few bottles from the same batch - all the rest of the batch are great. 

Im a bit anal about cleaning and sanitising everything but apparently there must be a problem somewhere in the process but im buggered if I know what it is. Gunna try a bleach clean of everything before the next brew as I'm told that will kill everything including diastaticus which may be the issue?

I brewed a Dusseldorf Altbier a few years ago - used the proper yeast etc. After a month in the keg I cracked it and tried drinking it, to find an off smell that quite frankly had a hint of doggie-doos.

In those days I had 13 kegs and the keg ended up in the empties section although still full, and I forgot all about it. This would have been around October. In the following February I was giving the Brewhouse a good clean and came upon the full keg. So out of curiosity I tried the beer again. Mother's Milk. 🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is an ester called ethyl acetate that can be produced by yeast that smells like nail polish remover. I wonder if that is the problem?

usually caused by too high ferment temperature or under pitching yeast…Not sure if it fades over time though…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrchino73 said:

Hi to all. What means "under pitching yeast"? Not familiar to this term, and as I am from another country (language),not sure what it is ...

Thanx

It means not using enough yeast for it to be able to comfortably consume all the sugars in the wort and convert them into beer/alcohol. For example, Coopers provide 7g yeast sachets with their kits. This is adequate for beers with SG around 1.040 but if you're into higher SG beers it's probably best to add more yeast so it doesn't stress. Think of it like buying a bucket of KFC for the family to eat but you discover they've all gone out. So you are left to eat the bucket by yourself. You could probably do it but how would you feel afterwards?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:
4 hours ago, mrchino73 said:

Hi to all. What means "under pitching yeast"? Not familiar to this term, and as I am from another country (language),not sure what it is ...

Thanx

It means not using enough yeast for it to be able to comfortably consume all the sugars in the wort and convert them into beer/alcohol. For example, Coopers provide 7g yeast sachets with their kits. This is adequate for beers with SG around 1.040 but if you're into higher SG beers it's probably best to add more yeast so it doesn't stress. Think of it like buying a bucket of KFC for the family to eat but you discover they've all gone out. So you are left to eat the bucket by yourself. You could probably do it but how would you feel afterwards?

So - Muzzy what's your analogy for an over pitch? Invite 6 people over to the house for the 1 bucket of the dirty bird you purchased and 20 show up at the front door? 😂

Edited by Mickep
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mickep said:

So - Muzzy what's your analogy for an over pitch? Invite 6 people over to the house for the 1 bucket of the dirty bird you purchased and 20 show up at the front door? 😂

@Mickep Yes or imagine it's your Mum's pay day when you were a kid and she comes home with the standard 26 fl. oz bottle of Coke to share with the family at dinner time. You couldn't wait for Thursday dinner in the 70s. It was the highlight of the week for this Aussie born child of post-WW2 immigrants. Then remember how unfulfilling it was when all 3 of your older brothers were home for dinner too to share in the Coke. 😞 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Mickep Yes or imagine it's your Mum's pay day when you were a kid and she comes home with the standard 26 fl. oz bottle of Coke to share with the family at dinner time. You couldn't wait for Thursday dinner in the 70s. It was the highlight of the week for this Aussie born child of post-WW2 immigrants. Then remember how unfulfilling it was when all 3 of your older brothers were home for dinner too to share in the Coke. 😞 

Thursday night must've been a thing - Pay day for sure.  I remember it was our one night of the week where we would have Fish and chips - well fish and chips without the fish.🤣 More like one potato cake (Victoria - called a Potato Scallop in most other States) and some chips - if we were lucky a dimmie made it into the newspaper wrap as well.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It means not using enough yeast for it to be able to comfortably consume all the sugars in the wort and convert them into beer/alcohol. For example, Coopers provide 7g yeast sachets with their kits. This is adequate for beers with SG around 1.040 but if you're into higher SG beers it's probably best to add more yeast so it doesn't stress. Think of it like buying a bucket of KFC for the family to eat but you discover they've all gone out. So you are left to eat the bucket by yourself. You could probably do it but how would you feel afterwards?.

How bad would your family feel, coming home to a half eaten KFC bucket, a pile of trub at the table and your missing!

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 2