Coopers Community

Yeast

Dragster

1 hour ago, Dragster said:

Hi. 
just putting it out there. Is it ok to mix yeast ? If so was thinking doing a Amber ale and using US05 and American Ale yeast.  Will this work. ?? 
Cheers 

Hi Dragster, I got a packet of the American Ale Yeast and it has US-05 stamped on it.  I am pretty sure that they are the same.  Even if they are not, they are likely to be so close that you could combine them. 

One packet of US-05 is usually enough for a pretty standard 23 litre brew.  You only need to add more yeast if you have a lot of fermentables for the yeast to chew through.  For example a very high Original Gravity brew or a large volume of a regular gravity brew. 

• Like 2

Go for it.   US-05 will be one of my go to yeasts for American ales in the future.

After all these years of home brewing I had never used US-05 until recently in an AG version of my Busty Blonde Recipe and I was damn impressed.

FV was very easy to clean, just a squirt out with the garden hose, Krausen ring scum just rinsed away and all gone very easily and then a soak in SP for 24 hours = thumbs up ripper. 👍

The beer was cold crashed for 5 days and came out nice and clear when kegging it.  A couple of weeks later when some sample beers were poured they were as clear as, just as if I had run it through my 1 micron filter.  So very happy.  As a matter of fact been drinking this brew the last few nights and I am very happy also with its flavour.  I used to use CCA yeast in this recipe but this yeast just clears ups so quickly its a win, win.

I can see now why US-05 became and remains so popular with Ale home brewers.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

G’day fellow brewers, a bit off topic, but still concerns yeast. 
I saved the yeast from a Brew A which was a Coopers Commercial and a S-33 mixed. I just poured/scooped it into two sterilised jars. 
Anything special about repitching? I fancy making the Coopers Vintage 21. Should I just swirl it around in the jar then pitch? Maybe rinse out the rest of the jar with the wort?

Thanks !

384C98B5-9994-4C87-B65A-210514DCB1EC.jpeg

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

G’day fellow brewers, a bit off topic, but still concerns yeast. 
I saved the yeast from a Brew A which was a Coopers Commercial and a S-33 mixed. I just poured/scooped it into two sterilised jars. 
Anything special about repitching? I fancy making the Coopers Vintage 21. Should I just swirl it around in the jar then pitch? Maybe rinse out the rest of the jar with the wort?

Thanks !

384C98B5-9994-4C87-B65A-210514DCB1EC.jpeg

Hey Saint. Yep that’s what I do. 
Just swirl it up in the jar and tip it in. I rinse out the jar through the FV tap which gets the last bit of yeast out and also runs a bit through the tap ready for your first gravity reading 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stquinto, I agree with @Tone boy on this.  Normally I would say decant off some of the beer above the yeast, but in your case you do not have much anyway.  So just swirl up the yeast in the jar.  Pitch into your new wort.  Decant some wort from the tap into the jar.  Swirl up the remaining yeast in the jar and pitch that too.

Each of those jars will be enough for a standard batch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@stquinto, I agree with @Tone boy on this.  Normally I would say decant off some of the beer above the yeast, but in your case you do not have much anyway.  So just swirl up the yeast in the jar.  Pitch into your new wort.  Decant some wort from the tap into the jar.  Swirl up the remaining yeast in the jar and pitch that too.

+1 I've just started doing this and it's a ripper Sainter- what SOS and Toner said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for your replies fellas 👍

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I could get two batches off them? Wow! I went to get a slab of Coopers the other day, looks like I won’t be using any other yeast for a while 🤗

Apart from a foray into BIAB this weekend I’ll knock up the Vintage 21 to lay down for a few months. Looks like I’ll have plenty of booze for Christmas. It’s getting into summer for you fellas, time for me to wax my skis over here 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

@Pickles Jones I can get a slab for about the equivalent of 70 AUD (48 ChF). That’s a fair price I reckon, for here. Makes for cheap yeast in any case 👍

Dan Murphy's currently have it for $51. 95 in Australia. So I would agree that $70 is a good price for imported beer.  Around $50 box of 12 in UK.

• Like 2