Coopers Community

AL's Pub Lager Recipe

iBooz2

Basic K & K recipe for PJ @Pickles Jones

SPECS:

Vol 23 L, EBC = 9.7, IBU = 21.1, OG = 1.046, FG = 1.011, ABV = 4.6 K 5.0 B

(Note: the bitterness is actually around 22.5 – 24.0 as the SS software does not take into account the little bit of extra IBU it gets from the steep)

INVENTORY:

1 x 1.7 kg Coopers OS Lager

1 x 1.0 kg Coopers BE3

300 g Dextrose (in addition to the BE3 pack) or white cane sugar as option

200 g Carapils grain

200 g Light Crystal Malt grain (or 200 g Caramunich I grain as option)

15 g Pride of Ringwood Hops (10.5 % AA)

2 x 11.5 g sachets SafLager W-34/70 Weihenstephan Lager Yeast

GEAR:

Besides the obvious of course

15 L or 20 L pot.

Sanitised coffee plunger.

SS sieve.

Grain bag to contain the 400 g of crushed grains.

Hop sock to contain the hops.

METHOD:

The night before brew day chill down 15 L chlorine free filtered tap water.

Put both the crushed grains into a grain bag or large hop sock and steep overnight in about 5 litres of chlorine free filtered tap water. 

On brew day remove the grain bag and drain the liquid, just a gentle squeeze to assist but don’t wring the grains dry as you do not want what this will do to the wort.

Bring the liquid from the grains to the boil and boil for 5 – 10 minutes.

Remove pot from the heat and prepare 15 g Pride of Ringwood hops in a hop sock.

When the temperature of the wort has dropped to exactly 90 C put the hops into it and steep for 10 – 15”.  Keep hop sock moving and submerged with your spoon.

Remove the hop sock, drain slightly and place it into your sanitised coffee plunger to squeeze out the remaining hop juices, tip this juice back into the pot.

Quickly cool the wort by placing the pot in a sink of cold water or ice water until it is about 30 C.

Tip the cooled wort into your sanitised FV straining it with a sanitised sieve.

Add the contents of BE 3 packet and the dextrose / sugar to the FV and swirl around to completely dissolve.

Add about 10 litres of the chilled water and mix thoroughly.

Add the contents of the Lager can and mix thoroughly.

Top up the level of the FV with the pre chilled water to get to 23 litre mark, you want the temperature of the wort to be at about 10 – 13 C when you hit 23 litres if it’s still a bit higher than that then just put the FV with lid on, in the fridge set to 13 C and wait until 13 C.

Aerate the wort as much as you can with a SS whisk or spoon then pitch the 2 x 11.5 sachets of W-34/70 yeast and close the lid and wait 15”

Re-aerate the wort with the SS whisk or spoon as much as you can again to incorporate the re-hydrated yeast.  Lid back on, note: there is no need for the Krausen collar to be used.

FERMENT:

Ferment at 13 C for 5 days then raise the temp 2 C per day until you reach 19 C and leave it there for 5 days D-rest. FG should be reached about day 9 or 10.

After the 5 days D-rest is up, drop temp by 2 C per day until down to 2 C.

I did not dry hop as I wanted to do a dirty batch of same brew again straight in on top of the yeast cake.  Also I did not use any finings and you will find after a good cold crash it will be quite clear.

Bottle as per normal using the Muzzy method versions 1.0 or 2.0 if using PET’s.

If kegging, purge head space then leave for 4 weeks under pressure at 10 psi to condition at 2 C.

PJ's Pub Lager Recipe.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Agree @Greeny1525229549 its just that the spreadsheet only allows for two adjuncts so had to show the white sugar as Dex because the BE3 contains 300 g of Dex so went with that.

Ya know what I was trying to do there. - Cheers

How would this go for guys who like White or Black fish as their standard? (Great Northerns)

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

How would this go for guys who like White or Black fish as their standard? (Great Northerns)

JM, off the top of my head:

For GN original - swap the PoR hop steep for Cluster.

For GN super crisp - also swap the PoR hop steep for Cluster and also drop the 200 g of crystal or caramunich 1 (keep the overnight steep 200 g of carapils) and add 1 x 3 g sachet of dry enzyme with the yeast.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have declared this week “Leigh’s Lager Week” in honour of my recently deceased mate.  He was 59.

There are 4 kegs of this AG recipe which I had brewed for him and his supporters.  Just so we would have one last chance to get together with him and say goodbye.  

Lock-down restrictions did not allow that,  so a lifetime opportunity missed.  Plus, he did ask me to wait until the weather is a bit warmer so we can all enjoy that one last “keg night” but he knew.

So, every beer for me this week will be a Leigh’s Lager and a big cheers to him for making me his friend so many years ago.

Cheers to Leigh.

Leigh's Lager Week - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have declared this week “Leigh’s Lager Week” in honour of my recently deceased mate.  He was 59.

There are 4 kegs of this AG recipe which I had brewed for him and his supporters.  Just so we would have one last chance to get together with him and say goodbye.  

Lock-down restrictions did not allow that,  so a lifetime opportunity missed.  Plus, he did ask me to wait until the weather is a bit warmer so we can all enjoy that one last “keg night” but he knew.

So, every beer for me this week will be a Leigh’s Lager and a big cheers to him for making me his friend so many years ago.

Cheers to Leigh.

Beautifully said Boozer. Cheers to Leigh 🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheers to Leigh.

So sad AL, 59 is too young, enjoy the beer & the memories, Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheers to Leigh.

Beautifully said Al, and I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your mate Leigh. Way too young! Bloody Lockdown. Beer and good company is hard to beat, but next best thing is a fitting tribute such as yours, raise the glass in Leigh's honor Boozer and toast his life. You done good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big thanks to everyone  @Itinerant Peasant , @kmar92 , @Tone boy  , @Classic Brewing Co , @Mickep , @Coopers DIY Beer Team , @RDT2 , @ozdevil , @stquinto , @Shamus O'Sean.  Sorry if I missed anyone.

Its been a tough couple of weeks, your support has been great and very much appreciated.  Gotta get back into brewing and refocus so looking forward to the brew day what ya got thread.

Thanks -  AL

• Like 6