Coopers Community

cassettes

Stickers

tape.JPG.eb4911306ebe62069d5961b905b2652e.JPG

abba is in the news again. i taped over my parent's abba and wings cassettes after discovering the sticky tape over the hole thing and thus a lifelong love of music and recording random things was born way back when. not my picture but this was my first

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

tape.JPG.eb4911306ebe62069d5961b905b2652e.JPG

abba is in the news again. i taped over my parent's abba and wings cassettes after discovering the sticky tape over the hole thing and thus a lifelong love of music and recording random things was born way back when. not my picture but this was my first

hey dude @Classic Brewing Co has just caught upto thisandthinks its the next best thing since sliced bread but  his preffered thing is 38655301b23be4909993650ce9b116df.jpeg.0f69a3ee4979ef95348aadff771ac90e.jpeg

i think those things was greatest music machines before cassette lol

Sorry @Classic Brewing Co

things was better back in the days

Edited by ozdevil
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well I remember as a kid getting something like this for Xmas with a couple of Rolling Stones EP's, I thought I was Jack the Lad.

Mum & Dad had one of these HMV TV/Record Player/Radio in the lounge.

We have come a fair way since then !!

7595641fcbf6e70a4e9a9d7df1cbf605.jpg a30b6525853e7b96bb5e4a080463c81c.jpg

my Grandparents  had one of those similar  to that   as well not only was theres a tv and record player and radio it was also their liquer cabinet

and the other side had there lp's

47 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well I remember as a kid getting something like this for Xmas with a couple of Rolling Stones EP's, I thought I was Jack the Lad.

Mum & Dad had one of these HMV TV/Record Player/Radio in the lounge.

We have come a fair way since then !!

7595641fcbf6e70a4e9a9d7df1cbf605.jpg a30b6525853e7b96bb5e4a080463c81c.jpg

Yep, my family had both of those, along with a Beta cord VCR.

My first stereo as a 1st year apprentice I bought for my bedroom was a Voxson, record player, dual tape decks ( so could record mates cassettes )

‘Also had a Voxson stereo i installed myself in my SSS Stanza 🤣🤣

Also bought an Atari, my own VHS & Hitachi tv, my girlfriend at the time ( who is now my lovely wife ) thought I had my sh%t going on big time 🤣🤣  

Life was great back in the 80,s 

21 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yep, my family had both of those, along with a Beta cord VCR.

My first stereo as a 1st year apprentice I bought for my bedroom was a Voxson, record player, dual tape decks ( so could record mates cassettes )

‘Also had a Voxson stereo i installed myself in my SSS Stanza 🤣🤣

Also bought an Atari, my own VHS & Hitachi tv, my girlfriend at the time ( who is now my lovely wife ) thought I had my sh%t going on big time 🤣🤣  

Life was great back in the 80,s 

It was & the 70's & the 60's hmmm .... 🤔  wasn't that old then 👶 

I got a Commonwealth scholarship to see me through school and it included $1000 spending money per year on top of books etc. The only part of that I saw was my first cassette player - pretty sure it was this model. The speakers fold around and could also be detached to spread out across about 6 ft for stereo effect.

img_aBaQ5NpbxelxCyp_r.jpg

• Like 1

I can remember my Parents bought one of the first TV's in our town when we lived in the Riverland SA, it would have around that time.

If they could see my 4K 65 inch now they would be very surprised.

An old excerpt from the Adelaide Advertiser Newspaper:

REMEMBER the tremendous excitement when television first arrived in Adelaide?

It came in 1959, three years after it commenced in Melbourne and Sydney in time for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games.

The wait and build-up seemed to go on forever before TV finally arrived.

Electrical retailers like H G Palmers, Ernsmiths and Saverys, attracted large crowds of people, eager to see television for the first time.

Even local councils got involved by demonstrating trial telecasts.

It was not unusual for crowds to stand for hours just watching a test pattern and a few black and white flickering frames as both Channel 9 and Channel 7 prepared to launch later in the year.

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I got a Commonwealth scholarship to see me through school and it included $1000 spending money per year on top of books etc. The only part of that I saw was my first cassette player - pretty sure it was this model. The speakers fold around and could also be detached to spread out across about 6 ft for stereo effect.

Yeah over the years we all had whiz bang types of players, stereos with all sorts of detachable or fold out speakers, then we started putting them in our cars & cruise up & down the streets with our windows down hoping to pick up,  🤭 ... I mean get the attention of a fair damsel. 😜

• Haha 2

You blokes realise you’re flashing my working life before my eyes? Starting in 1965 ,I spent 50 years servicing and repairing all of these toys, and many more. Eight track tape players,micro cassettes, Walkmans, Mini discs, VHS, Beta, 3D TV etc. Finally gave up when TV screens started to curve. Just too silly! Thanks for the memories.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I spoke to a Philips employee many years ago when TV's, Radiograms and Three in One's (TV, Radio and Record Player) were made as furniture and were large and on legs or rollers.

He said that Philips marketed these under the brands of PYE, Philips and Kriesler.  Pye was aimed at the younger market, Philips for the family man (solid and reliable)  and Kriesler at the person who had to much money.

All had the same insides just the package they came in was different.  Many  people would swear that Kriesler had the best picture and Phiilps had a better picture than PYE etc when in fact there was no difference between them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It was & the 70's & the 60's hmmm .... 🤔  wasn't that old then 👶 

No 60,s for me, was a child in the 70,s & then a teenager in the 80,s.

First rock song I heard on the radio in the 70,s was Rockin all Over the World by Status Quo (complete with radio crackling ) who I still love & listen to today.

• Like 2

This was my 1st Computer  a commodore 64  was the 1st in my street to have one as kid
and my 1st experience  with the internet (back then it wasnt called the internet)
where i would get on newsgroup bulletin boards..

mind you mum and dad didnt like it  when i went on the newsgroup as it cost them a small fortune
and would Tie up the lines  and when someone rang the modem would cut out and you would have to reconnect

Untitled-17.png.1cb5b2bf0d6b1ba3ae2f43d29cd0a444.png19f242eae79d81ff406508c681b41769.jpg.30b0923dcb860a89bdfab30cc6085026.jpg

it was painful if you only had a tape player to load your games or whatever  up with
and you had to type in load"filename",8,1
then press play on the tape player you then  could go make a coffee come back  and drink it before it would load up

or you would click SHift + Run/stop  to make it go 5 seconds faster

used to love the c64

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I spoke to a Philips employee many years ago when TV's, Radiograms and Three in One's (TV, Radio and Record Player) were made as furniture and were large and on legs or rollers.

He said that Philips marketed these under the brands of PYE, Philips and Kriesler.  Pye was aimed at the younger market, Philips for the family man (solid and reliable)  and Kriesler at the person who had to much money.

All had the same insides just the package they came in was different.  Many  people would swear that Kriesler had the best picture and Phiilps had a better picture than PYE etc when in fact there was no difference between them

All too true. Price and marketing had enormous influence on people’s perception of quality. Still does! Sony was always a prime example. They pitched their advertising and price a bit above average and convinced everyone their stuff was the best. Occasionally it was, but very often it was average or worse. Anyway it’s all South Koreans now, with the Japanese beaten at their own game.

• Like 1

My 2003 Toyota v6 Avalon Gangsta cruiser (room in the boot for at least three dead henchmen) has a cassette player. Car still drives like new and will probably see me out, but it only seems like yesterday that servos and roadhouses had a rack of cassettes at the counter. I might look for some in an op shop and see if the unit still works.

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

This was my 1st Computer  a commodore 64  was the 1st in my street to have one as kid
and my 1st experience  with the internet (back then it wasnt called the internet)

mind you mum and dad didnt like it  when i went on the newsgroup as it cost them a small fortune
and would Tie up the lines  and when someone rang the modem would cut out and you would have to reconnect

Untitled-17.png.1cb5b2bf0d6b1ba3ae2f43d29cd0a444.png19f242eae79d81ff406508c681b41769.jpg.30b0923dcb860a89bdfab30cc6085026.jpg

it was painful if you only had a tape player to load your games or whatever  up with
then press play on the tape player you then  could go make a coffee come back  and drink it before it would load up

used to love the c64

Are you keeping up with the Commodore?

Cos the Commodore is keeping up with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Stickers said:

yes i had one of these too come to think of it. kids today don't know what it's like waiting 10-45 minutes for a game to load! (or fail to load)

I used to hit play, go outside and play for 40 minutes and come back in to find it had failed to load. So repeat and hope for the best.

Looking back I think the Commodore 64 tape deck gave me the patience for brewing.

• Haha 2

On 9/4/2021 at 12:18 PM, ozdevil said:

used to love the c64

My first was the VIC-20. We had some PETs at school and that got me started. Once I had enough saved, I bought the VIC. They were good times 🙂 Today, I own 2 VICs, several C64 in various forms and states of restoration, a TSR80, a Texas Instruments TI99/4a, 2 Amiga 500s, an Apple IIC, Sinclair ZX Spectrum and a few others. A nice collection of old compies, even a Raspberry Pi based C64 clone 🙂 Most of the old machines are in working order too 🙂 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Stickers said:

Commodore-Datasette-C2N-Mk1-Front.thumb.jpg.56d1618b568842fc42a5b77bc8b57ec5.jpg

yes i had one of these too come to think of it. kids today don't know what it's like waiting 10-45 minutes for a game to load! (or fail to load)

Or what it sounded like putting a computer tape into a cassette player 🙂 

• Haha 1