Coopers Community

Replacing dextrose with beer enhancer or ldm

I just brewed a zephyr light, which calls for 100g of dextrose and a Cooper's draught can. 

Any thoughts on replacing the dextrose amount, with a similar amount of a beer enhancer or ldm? Would this be an improvement?

I'd like to keep the beer as a light beer but i've read that dextrose can contribute to a cidery taste, which my beer does have a little of. I plan to dry hop at some stage to improve the flavour too...

29 minutes ago, Franham said:

I just brewed a zephyr light, which calls for 100g of dextrose and a Cooper's draught can. 

Any thoughts on replacing the dextrose amount, with a similar amount of a beer enhancer or ldm? Would this be an improvement?

I'd like to keep the beer as a light beer but i've read that dextrose can contribute to a cidery taste, which my beer does have a little of. I plan to dry hop at some stage to improve the flavour too...

Hey bud. I've learnt from the others on here that DME is usually better idea than dextrose, as it gives the beer more body and head retention. I do find the DME can be quite sweet to my palate, but that's nothing a small hop boil can't fix. It's totally up to u, that's the beauty of this hobby. But replacing 100g dex with DME is prob going to be an improvement 

• Thanks 1

Agree with @PintsAtMeLocalPints. Ditch the dex and use dme instead. DME is not quite as fermentable as dextrose so you could use a little bit more (don’t ask me the exact ratio but someone here will know) and get about the same ABV. Your beer will end up better. 
Also the cider flavour may not be the dextrose. It could also be esters produced by the yeast, especially if you brewed it too warm. Time might help that cider flavour dissipate. 
Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Agree with @PintsAtMeLocalPints. Ditch the dex and use dme instead. DME is not quite as fermentable as dextrose so you could use a little bit more (don’t ask me the exact ratio but someone here will know) and get about the same ABV. Your beer will end up better. 
Also the cider flavour may not be the dextrose. It could also be esters produced by the yeast, especially if you brewed it too warm. Time might help that cider flavour dissipate. 
Cheers

Agreed, ditch the Dextrose.

@Franham While malt definitely has many positives to improving your beer, don't discard dextrose completely. Certain styles of beer aren't so good with too much malt. In fact all the Coopers brew enhancers contain differing amounts of dextrose for that reason.
Your personal tastes will determine what works best for you but for me I prefer using BE2 with Aus Pale Ale or Canadian Blonde and using malt in beers like Brew A IPA or Dark Ale. I recently made Coopers Best Extra Stout which called for dark malt and dextrose. It turned out really well but it might not have been as good had I omitted the dextrose.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Franham While malt definitely has many positives to improving your beer, don't discard dextrose completely. Certain styles of beer aren't so good with too much malt. In fact all the Coopers brew enhancers contain differing amounts of dextrose for that reason.
Your personal tastes will determine what works best for you but for me I prefer using BE2 with Aus Pale Ale or Canadian Blonde and using malt in beers like Brew A IPA or Dark Ale. I recently made Coopers Best Extra Stout which called for dark malt and dextrose. It turned out really well but it might not have been as good had I omitted the dextrose.

@MUZZYI'm with you on this one mate. Other than following the recipes, I can't always source all of the Coopers original products (actually I can only get the kits) so I make up my own BE with dry malt, dextrose and maltodextrin.

I once did a Belgian Dubbel from a kit and used a shed load of dark malt extract as a fermentable. It was a beast of a brew: like the anti-dote to Asterix's magic potion as it would floor you after a couple. Didn't help that I bottled it in 75cl bottles too once opened, it had to be drunk 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

@MUZZYI'm with you on this one mate. Other than following the recipes, I can't always source all of the Coopers original products (actually I can only get the kits) so I make up my own BE with dry malt, dextrose and maltodextrin.

I once did a Belgian Dubbel from a kit and used a shed load of dark malt extract as a fermentable. It was a beast of a brew: like the anti-dote to Asterix's magic potion as it would floor you after a couple. Didn't help that I bottled it in 75cl bottles too once opened, it had to be drunk 😂

Hahaha Asterix. I loved those cartoon books as a kid.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:
16 hours ago, stquinto said:

I'm with you Saint Q make up my own BE (Sorry Coopers).

1 hour ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Nothing to apologize for if you can't source products locally (especially in these lockdown times). 

I guess us South Ozzies should be thankful for the freedom to move around shopping, pubbing etc, lockdown is no fun but we have only had it for about a week or so when it was put in place.

It's hard to imagine being locked in for weeks at a time. It is a bonus to be able to make our own beer & I think we have all learnt to keep the stocks up for continued supply.

Cheers. 🍻 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I guess us South Ozzies should be thankful for the freedom to move around shopping, pubbing etc, lockdown is no fun but we have only had it for about a week or so when it was put in place.

It's hard to imagine being locked in for weeks at a time. It is a bonus to be able to make our own beer & I think we have all learnt to keep the stocks up for continued supply.

Cheers. 🍻 

yes very lucky    you south ozzies  but never get complacement as keeping covid zero in australia now is a thing of the past and its just a matter of time lol
lucky we all getting to those vaccination rates

However lockdowns is not what you have to worry about  as there is a bigger thing happening and i would not ignore that

1000s of trucks on monday and tuesday was turned away from the border  to Sa  rediculas  freight and transport  requirments
and if that keeps up   that trucks are getting turned around  South Australia will  be not in lockdown but will be in crisis 
as the state will shut down as it is not getting produce  or goods  or anything..   

and this is likely to happen  like  it is Qld

Our Premier & the Police Commissioner/State Coordinator & Health Authorities are very much on the ball as soon as there is slight risk they are on it, so if they put restrictions in place we go with it.

That's when it's hard to by Toilet paper, Pasta etc however the state is backed up by lot's of warehouses from the Supermarket chains & we are constantly reminded that there is no need to panic buy but Sheeple do it ( Journeyman quote ) I cannot imagine a transport strike going on for too long as they all have families sitting at home too.

Anyway that's my opinion, if I am wrong, so be it.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Our Premier & the Police Commissioner/State Coordinator & Health Authorities are very much on the ball as soon as there is slight risk they are on it, so if they put restrictions in place we go with it.

That's when it's hard to by Toilet paper, Pasta etc however the state is backed up by lot's of warehouses from the Supermarket chains & we are constantly reminded that there is no need to panic buy but Sheeple do it ( Journeyman quote ) I cannot imagine a transport strike going on for too long as they all have families sitting at home too.

Anyway that's my opinion, if I am wrong, so be it.

Phil  on Monday You  would have seen a temp truck blockafde of the qld NSW border   , yes if it wasnt for pauling hanson it would have got legs.
That is not the end of it.

1000's of trucks over monday and tuesday was turned away from from the border

there is a national one brewing as we speak   

this is a big mistake from your premier yes  i agree  they have done good and i support most of the restrictions

you dont think there will be well it may not happen  , but unless things change to the restrictions on frieght and they are not asking for much

I am not sure how you would feel getting a tested every 72 hours   just do your job

Alot of these victorian truckies that bring stuff to stock ya shelves in South OZ coles and woolies and homebrew shops phil
have to test and isolate until  rersults are negative

you think thats not going to have an impact  on the shelves

anyway i am interstate trucke , i am part of alot of truckie forums and those that are really in the know

but i am not going to say much more in this topic as its detracting from topic at hand

lets enjoy our beer in the sun

Edited by ozdevil

25 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Phil  on Monday You  would have seen a temp truck blockafde of the qld NSW border   , yes if it wasnt for pauling hanson it would have got legs.
That is not the end of it.

1000's of trucks over monday and tuesday was turned away from from the border

there is a national one brewing as we speak   

this is a big mistake from your premier yes  i agree  they have done good and i support most of the restrictions

you dont think there will be well it may not happen  , but unless things change to the restrictions on frieght and they are not asking for much

I am not sure how you would feel getting a tested every 72 hours   just do your job

Alot of these victorian truckies that bring stuff to stock ya shelves in South OZ coles and woolies and homebrew shops phil
have to test and isolate until  rersults are negative

you think thats not going to have an impact  on the shelves

anyway i am interstate trucke , i am part of alot of truckie forums and those that are really in the know

but i am not going to say much more in this topic as its detracting from topic at hand

lets enjoy our beer in the sun

I need 2 Panadol & a lie down before I can tackle this. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I need 2 Panadol & a lie down before I can tackle this. 

its ok drink another of ya finest mate brews mate.

I am a bit of a bad mood over covid at the moment   as i am truckie  trying to do the right thing mate
but i can clearly see  the reasoning to truckies striking and blockading borders

i have had 38 covid tests phil   just to do my job so you and i can get fed

anyway enough said

lets have a beer  and get back on track here

• Like 2