Coopers Community

fridges

ozdevil

Guys , i seriously need to think about getting a  fridge for cold crashing and fermenting

the issue i have i dont have  room in the house for another fridge

I dont have a garage either or a shed well i do have a shed  but doesnt have power and would be a good 50 metres from the house to run  extension cord  in which would have to be rolled up every thursday when my landlord comes around to do the mowing.

So i only have an option 

1. under the carport (will need an extension lead)  and a lock on the fridge to keep away from the beer bandits

2 out in the open but under semi enclosed roof (only the front of the fridge would be exposed to the elements. all electrical cords will be kept dry)

3. i buy a Small Shed  that can hold a couple of fridges + Store room for brewing gear
and be close to the house  and possibly run a extension cord to keep fridge running while fermenting and cold crashing

The fridge will not be used for  kegging or storing craft beer to consume.

Whats your thoughts people   

cheers
OZ

• Like 2

I would go with the carport or under the roof.  Sheds can become a hot house depending where you live and your fridge may struggle and consequently be on most of the time.

I don't know what type of lawn you have but it must be fast growing to require mowing each week.  I could do with some of that around my house. 😃

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Guys , i seriously need to think about getting a  fridge for cold crashing and fermenting

I dont have a garage either or a shed well i do have a shed  but doesnt have power and would be a good 50 metres from the house to run  extension cord  in which would have to be rolled up every thursday when my landlord comes around to do the mowing.

So i only have an option 

1. under the carport (will need an extension lead)  and a lock on the fridge to keep away from the beer bandits

2 out in the open but under semi enclosed roof (only the front of the fridge would be exposed to the elements. all electrical cords will be kept dry)

3. i buy a Small Shed  that can hold a couple of fridges + Store room for brewing gear
and be close to the house  and possibly run a extension cord to keep fridge running while fermenting and cold crashing

cheers
OZ

It's tough when you don't have a garage where ambient temp doesn't get too high. I think if your having it in the ambient your probably better getting a freezer rather than a fridge. Reason being my kegerator is on my deck. Well under cover about 5 metres from the elements. Over about 35 or 36 it won't hold the 3c setting. Anything over 40 and I just turn the fridge off to stop it burning out. A freezer would still hold.

As for your locations. I'd go option 3 with a whirlybird to keep the temp down.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I would go with the carport or under the roof.  Sheds can become a hot house depending where you live and your fridge may struggle and consequently be on most of the time.

I don't know what type of lawn you have but it must be fast growing to require mowing each week.  I could do with some of that around my house. 😃

the grass dont grow quick that it needs cutting,  i just dont know  when he comes and does the lawns,  thats why  i would have to roll the cord up..  1 week he may mow the other he maybe plodding around the garden trimming trees   and weeds.

i'm thinking carport maybe the best option

• Like 1

We all have problems when it comes to running a brewery in a household situation, some of us would be blessed with lock up, powered rooms/verandahs etc, when I moved into this smaller place I virtually ended up with 2 less rooms, no remote powered garage which was really part of the house as you entered the house via the hall door.

Now I have a small lock-up storeroom unpowered, a dedicated brewery room/office & I have room under the front verandah in the courtyard. I have built a room which houses a large brew fridge, I have the normal kitchen fridge, I was gifted another fairly new fridge which sits in the bedroom behind the door out of sight & a Bar fridge in the office.

ATM I only have one Temp Controller/Heat Belt but I will get another set-up for the summer. I have brewed everything at ambient in the office for months so it is time to start getting ready for Summer.

It is hard for some with space problems, power issues & of course the SWMBO's out there who can ( I imagine 🤣 ) make things harder.

I have a cousin who bought himself a Poly Tank & cut & built a door in it & it has enough room for a few fermenters fridge, shelving etc,  it is quite a work of art. I don't know how much they cost compared to a small shed but they would be more insulated than sheds.

• Like 2

I'd probably go the carport option. My two fermenting fridges are in my patio area which fortunately has an outdoor power point nearby to them, still need an extension lead plugged into a power board to run them both but it works nicely. It does get quite hot out there in summer but they haven't had any trouble maintaining fermentation temp, I suppose it wouldn't be as hot as a shed though, and there's always an afternoon breeze, maybe because I'm quite close to the river here. Cold crashing they probably don't get down as low as they do now but still do the job without too much trouble. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd probably go the carport option. My two fermenting fridges are in my patio area which fortunately has an outdoor power point nearby to them, still need an extension lead plugged into a power board to run them both but it works nicely. It does get quite hot out there in summer but they haven't had any trouble maintaining fermentation temp, I suppose it wouldn't be as hot as a shed though, and there's always an afternoon breeze, maybe because I'm quite close to the river here. Cold crashing they probably don't get down as low as they do now but still do the job without too much trouble. 

I agree Otto, one of my mates brews in his shed all seasons, he has his FV on a milk crate, never heard of temp control, hopping, CC, & to him yeast is yeast & most other things that are normal & practiced by us are ignored. He has got a big covered area outside the back door which would be perfect for brewing but the chosen bride says it all belongs in the shed. 🤔

By the way, his beer tastes like 🐈‍⬛ .... all year round.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree Otto, one of my mates brews in his shed all seasons, he has his FV on a milk crate, never heard of temp control, hopping, CC, & to him yeast is yeast & most other things that are normal & practiced by us are ignored. He has got a big covered area outside the back door which would be perfect for brewing but the chosen bride says it all belongs in the shed. 🤔

By the way, his beer tastes like 🐈‍⬛ .... all year round.

Not surprising in the least brewing under those conditions 😂

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i'm thinking carport maybe the best option

Agree if you have a covered area in your carport that can accommodate a small freezer I would go for that.  Can you lift in and out a full FV where it will be located?

Maybe cheaper to build a screen of some sort to keep prying eyes off what is there rather than build a tin shed and yes a lock on lid would help keep kids out.  But please ask your landlord if you can get an external weatherproof power point put where you want it, he may even pay for it if your argument is good enough and you are a good tenant as it is a value add to his property plus he can possibly claim it as a deduction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Agree if you have a covered area in your carport that can accommodate a small freezer I would go for that.  Can you lift in and out a full FV where it will be located?

Maybe cheaper to build a screen of some sort to keep prying eyes off what is there rather than build a tin shed and yes a lock on lid would help keep kids out.  But please ask your landlord if you can get an external weatherproof power point put where you want it, he may even pay for it if your argument is good enough and you are a good tenant as it is a value add to his property plus he can possibly claim it as a deduction.

mate , i have many tricks up my sleeve   when it comes to shifting and lifting kegs.

as a former keg driver  my job involved pulling out full 50litre kegs out of cellars
that had long drops.  lifting in and out of freezer  not very difficult at all by hand..

i'm actually thinking of asking my landlord to put in a double 20  weatherproof gpo out side in the car port
but  not sure yet i may just want to move again as i am seriously thinking  moving back to my old state when lockdown is finished
and we can freely travel

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i'm actually thinking of asking my landlord to put in a double 20  weatherproof gpo out side in the car port

Just ask for a single 15 A outlet as that will have to be wired up to a 20 A circuit from the fuse box  Plenty for what you want, you could even weld off a 15 A so maybe use that as an excuse to get one fitted in order for the landlord to keep you there (or you need it for your AG kettle).   Think of an angle.   I presume the landlord / body corporate will allow you to do handy man stuff / AG  brewing under the carport.  Good luck with it OD.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

I have deleted my post.  

Don't run with scissors.

Thanks James, I have deleted mine as well to get rid of the enclosed quote of your post. 👍

Don't aerate your back lawn with a pitchfork either. 🎆

On 8/22/2021 at 10:30 AM, ozdevil said:

So i only have an option 

cheers
OZ

I'm always cost conscious, so I'd go with option 1 with a lock and maybe a cheap, plastic tarp to cover it from prying eyes.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:06 AM, Thirsty Jim said:

No, you didn't miss much Classic.    My post that I run my brew fridge in a garden shed off an extension lead from the house was deemed to be dangerous practice so I removed the post to keep the peace.  

Do gooders these days 🙄   I run three fridges, a freezer and two TV's with an extension cord to my shed. Ive only had two house fires and one explosion. People need to toughen up.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Ive only had two house fires and one explosion.

And that was just the tally on the bedroom scoreboard ha ha..  😆  I have no problem with extension cords to outside sheds so long as it done properly and they are not death traps.  Its a long way back to the earth/neutral link (MEN) at your household fuse box and it will take the shortest path otherwise.  Hope yours is off an RCD.  Stay safe PM.👍

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well  i am now $1000 broker then 2 hours ago.

te mrs wakes up and say i want a new fridge    so off we trundle  down to Geelong as if i head west  to Ballarat  thats in lockdown if i head east towards melbourne in lockdown
so we only had the option of Geelong or Bendigo and i wasnt exacly heading to bendigo to buy a fridge.

So now i really have to work out what i am going to do now  as the mrs blow the budget 

so  i have no got a fermentation fridge and i am going to speak with my landlord next time i see him if i can put in a GPO in the carport.

so old fridge will be moved by front door   the good thing is i dont have to have it running 24/7   only when fermenting or maybe when i have some guests over to make more room then the house hold fidge 

• Like 1

New fridge  arrived today the mrs is not happy 

i said to the delivery drivers just park it there on the concrete blocks  

mrs got home  went and got shot gun and said that new fridge is fricken mine
i said bub if i take these draws out  its a perfect flat surfuce for my fermenters
she then fired 1 shot  to the garden   and said new fridge inside yeah becuase next one is going to see you dead

ok i said and she said any more cheek  ya wont get the old fridge i'll sell it

i shut up  and now have a fermentation fridge  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

New fridge  arrived today the mrs is not happy 

i said to the delivery drivers just park it there on the concrete blocks  

mrs got home  went and got shot gun and said that new fridge is fricken mine
i said bub if i take these draws out  its a perfect flat surfuce for my fermenters
she then fired 1 shot  to the garden   and said new fridge inside yeah becuase next one is going to see you dead

ok i said and she said any more cheek  ya wont get the old fridge i'll sell it

i shut up  and now have a fermentation fridge  

The Fridge Wars continue. 🥶