Coopers Community

Malted milk recipe?

ChristinaS1

Hey Christina, I haven’t tried it and don’t have a recipe however…the first time I opened a pack of dry malt extract I was taken back to my childhood when we used to get chocolate malted milkshakes (or vanilla, or strawberry - you get the picture) from the local milk bar (others in Australia would call it a deli, or a corner store). And I distinctly remember the shop keeper behind the counter putting in the powdered malt. Looking back now it must have been the same stuff. I have thought about making a malted milkshake - I just have to be careful not to get my kids hooked on it though or else all my dme will go missing!

on another note (off topic sorry) the first time I opened a bag of hops I was reminded of something else from my youth (after my milkshake phase)😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just did some googling @ChristinaS1 and most of the recipes call for “malted milk powder”. Another quick search revealed you can make malted milk powder by combining 3 tablespoons of dry malt with 1 cup of milk powder. 
I reckon you could skip the milk powder and just use dry malt at a reduced rate. Double up on the ice cream instead!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

on another note (off topic sorry) the first time I opened a bag of hops I was reminded of something else from my youth (after my milkshake phase)😉

So I am guessing back in those days you called yourself "Cone Boy"  ha ha..🤪

• Haha 3

Thanks for doing some googling for me @Tone boy.  Sweet of you.

I noticed dry milk powder in every recipe I saw too. Personally I think dry milk powder tastes gross. I would like to use whole milk. Maybe I will experiment and come up with my own recipe. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

7 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

It just occurred to me that one could probably make malted milk using DME and end up with something a lot better than the stuff from the store. Has anyone tried this? Got a recipe you can share?

Thanks in advance.

I presume you are talking about malted milk as in a malted milk shake Christina, as TB (aka CB) says they were very popular back when I was a teenager.  It was about 1 teaspoon of DME whipped up with about 1 Litre of full cream milk and a scoop of ice cream.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is exactly what I was looking for @iBooz2. Thank you!

Believe it or not, I have never had a malted milkshake! My parents were struggling immigrants and we rarely ate anything away from home, and it just never occurred to me to buy myself one when I was an adult.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1