Coopers Community

Hallertau Blanc

Aussiekraut

Has anybody used this hop? I bought it by accident and discovered it whilst rummaging around the hop freezer looking for Hallertau. 

Apparently it can be used as a substitute for Nelson Sauvin or vice versa. 

Any experiences? Good, bad or outright ugly?

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Has anybody used this hop? I bought it by accident and discovered it whilst rummaging around the hop freezer looking for Hallertau. 

Apparently it can be used as a substitute for Nelson Sauvin or vice versa. 

Any experiences? Good, bad or outright ugly?

I haven't used this hop AussieK @Aussiekraut, but more importantly at least for me, you have a hop freezer. Does this mean I can store my Hop pellets in the freezer? Sorry I can't help with the original question either.

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I haven't used this hop AussieK @Aussiekraut, but more importantly at least for me, you have a hop freezer. Does this mean I can store my Hop pellets in the freezer? Sorry I can't help with the original question either.

Yes you can. I keep them in the freezer part of my beer fridge. I vacuum seal them after opening and they last a long time that way.

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Has anybody used this hop? 

AK, I bought some of this a while back as the LHBS said it was a substitute for what I was after at that time and when I got home found out that it was not so they have been sitting in the freezer since.  From memory I was after Summer hops at that time but may be mistaken.

Going to give this hop a trial in my next Carlsberg Pilsner as dry hop or very late edition as I think now that I am taste testing my third keg of CP, it just needs a little something more aroma wise in the glass.  The CP is a very nice beer and I don't want to spoil its dainty light lager character so going to give a small dry hop a go and see if it brings to the glass what I am after.  Thinking the white wine / fruit will complement my CP.

I have heaps of Saaz and Hallertauer Mittelfruhert which are already a part of the CP recipe and could use but I think from the description of this hop it might work well as dry hop going by the Hoplist description: Flavors of white-wine and fruit, aromas of cassis, elderflower, grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass.

Unfortunately it will be a month or so before a fresh batch of this is brewed as I am running out of kegs to store my lagers.

just got 150 grams of this myself as far as I know it's a fairly new variety and best suits pale ales. Yet to try but a small amount would probably go good in a lager too hope someone who has used it can get back to us.

59 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

@Aussiekraut   I use H blanc.  Yes it is a good NS substitute.  I would suggest not being too heavy handed with it.   It has a stronger Sav Blanc quality than NS without the tropic fruit.   NS is one of my go to hops. 

image_2021-07-31_144837.png

Do you reckon it is suitable for a single hop pale ale or better suited for a lager?

20 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Do you reckon it is suitable for a single hop pale ale or better suited for a lager?

A little late would be good in a lager, would work well in a wheat too, kinda like Sorachi Ace does.

And it is by no means new.

Hallertau Blanc, daughter of Cascade, was released to the world in 2012.

I have used it and like it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Either or. I like to use it as a complimentary hop so in a lager with Saaz or another hop late in the boil or in a Pale Ale with Galaxy and Amarillo and the like.    

• Thanks 1