Coopers Community

Yeast pitch query

Howdy all. Got an American ipa planned for Wednesday. It’s a reasonable sized beer with an OG of 1.065. FG expected to tap out at 1.010 giving me 7.2% abv.

the liquid yeast im using is on the older side. 2 months until it’s bbd. The Brewers friend yeast pitch calc indicates I need to do a three step starter, totalling 5 litres as the yeast packet,due to age, may only have 7billion to start with…

ive stepped it up twice and am wondering if I should bother with the last step to get those last few cells up and running.

woukd y’all bother with the last step or just send the bugger in on Wednesday with a bit more work to do…..

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

Howdy all. Got an American ipa planned for Wednesday. It’s a reasonable sized beer with an OG of 1.065. FG expected to tap out at 1.010 giving me 7.2% abv.

the liquid yeast im using is on the older side. 2 months until it’s bbd. The Brewers friend yeast pitch calc indicates I need to do a three step starter, totalling 5 litres as the yeast packet,due to age, may only have 7billion to start with…

ive stepped it up twice and am wondering if I should bother with the last step to get those last few cells up and running.

woukd y’all bother with the last step or just send the bugger in on Wednesday with a bit more work to do…..

I would do the third step, Mitch.  But I follow the yeast calculators pretty closely.  If you no-chill, you could grab enough of the wort for your third step, before cubing it.  Run on the stir plate for 24 hours, then decant the cube into a FV and chuck in the whole starter.

I have a liquid lager yeast that will take 2 steps to get enough starting cells.  Although I am planning to overbuild it by 150 bil cells to harvest for its next task.  Coincidentally, the first run of this yeast is for another batch of Mitch's Aussie Lager. 

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Thanks 1

How's it look mate? Can you see heaps of white cells in your last starter? 

Another option if you no chill is something i have done a few times which is decant off a few litres after the boil into the erlenmeyer. Cool it down and pitch the starter into it. Put it into the ferm fridge at your fermenting temp and the next morning when the main wort is cooled down tip into the fermenter and the starter which will be at high krausen and the cells in the starter would have increased massively. I don't like to do that as I prefer somewhat accurate cell pitches but it will ensure you have enough cells.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I would do the third step, Mitch.  But I follow the yeast calculators pretty closely.  If you no-chill, you could grab enough of the wort for your third step, before cubing it.  Run on the stir plate for 24 hours, then decant the cube into a FV and chuck in the whole starter.

Great minds think alike🙂

• Haha 1