Coopers Community

Abbots Lager is back

Thirsty Jim

Abbots Lager is back ... for a limited time.  

First brewed in 1909 CUB ceased production in 1995.  The blurb says -

"A full-strength lager with a soft fruit aroma that complements the sweet maltiness on the palate. It is perfectly balanced with a noticeable hop bitterness on the finish."

Selling for $48-$50 for 24 x 375ml cans.  The cans feature the old time 'label' with a picture of the old brewery.  Might have to have a slab for historical research purposes.  It's been a while.

CLG-4444414-3.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:
1 hour ago, Mickep said:

hat brings back such memories of my ol' Uncle Wal. He'd only ever drink Abbots lager or Abbotsford's Invalid Stout.

😬🤮👎  Not a fan !!

What Phil, Classic @CLASSIC mate? Not a fan of my memories of dear departed Uncle Wal or the beers? 🤣

Just now, Mickep said:

What Phil, Classic @CLASSIC mate? Not a fan of my memories of dear departed Uncle Wal or the beers? 🤣

Nah just the beers, some of them were pretty ordinary in fact I can't make up my mind which is worse some of the older beers I used to drink whilst on my travels or growing up with disgusting tasting Homebrew, all of my Uncles, the old man, neighbours had a go & you rarely tasted a good one.

We have come a long way. 

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Nah just the beers, some of them were pretty ordinary in fact I can't make up my mind which is worse some of the older beers I used to drink whilst on my travels or growing up with disgusting tasting Homebrew, all of my Uncles, the old man, neighbours had a go & you rarely tasted a good one.

We have come a long way. 

Yeah so true @CLASSIC, My old man tried making his own - stunk to high heaven  - bottle bombs everywhere. Mum used to go walk about when he was cooking up his home brew. I remember sneaking the odd bottle or two and it was disgusting....we have come a long way for sure

I know exactly what you mean, one of my Grandmothers on Dad's side was a strict Methodist & never touched the "Devil Drink" the other on my Mothers use to have a stash in the Medicine Cupboard & I remember under the kitchen sink. It was always Hospital Brandy or similar - she stressed for medicinal purposes only but we all knew different.

My Grandfathers both give it a nudge also. 

Good luck to them I say.

Cheers.

• Like 2