Jump to content
Coopers Community

KB Lager is back


jamiek86
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can another all grainer please answer my question regards water treatment and the KB lager recipe above because brew extract. Could i add the treatment to my 3 or 4 liters where I steep and boil the carapils. Or would i better off adding it to cold water waiting in the fermenter or is there no difference once its mixed in? @Graubart @Shamus O'Sean or any extract brewers who do water treatment please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

Can another all grainer please answer my question regards water treatment and the KB lager recipe above because brew extract. Could i add the treatment to my 3 or 4 liters where I steep and boil the carapils. Or would i better off adding it to cold water waiting in the fermenter or is there no difference once its mixed in? @Graubart @Shamus O'Sean or any extract brewers who do water treatment please.

If using liquid or dry extract as your main ingredient, you should not really need water additions.  The extract maker would have had water additions in their original wort.  When the wort is condensed, only the water is evaporated off, these water additions stay in the concentrated wort.  When you add your water later, the original additions are there to influence the taste of your beer.  If you like the taste of the lagers you make, leave your water as it is.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drank KB by the truck loads from about 1977-1979 but the taste changed and I pretty quickly turned off it.  Not too sure what it was but I dumped it quick.  At the time in the mid 70's in Sydney you could not escape the marketing.  They sponsored the 18 footers races, footy,  surf lifesaving you name it and  blitzkrieg on TV advertising.  It was everywhere.  Also marketed cool small 250ml bottles the KB kegs when were the forerunner of the good old throw downs.    

il_340x270.1303209304_2wqz.jpg?version=0

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

I remember the KB Cup (Rugby League) in the early 80s.

Shortly thereafter followed by the "Quit for Life Cup" (aka Winfield Cup) is that right @Hairy 😋

If I remember rightly all you festive Brewers out there : )

Edited by Graubart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Shortly thereafter followed by the "Quit for Life Cup" (aka Winfield Cup) is that right @Hairy 😋

If I remember rightly all you festive Brewers out there : )

KB Cup was the mid-week tournament; formerly Amco Cup. After KB it was the Panasonic Cup.

The Winfield Cup was regular comp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Hairy said:

KB Cup was the mid-week tournament; formerly Amco Cup. After KB it was the Panasonic Cup.

The Winfield Cup was regular comp.

I don't know much about league or union but I know brands and seek clarity please Hairy. Was it Amco or Amoco? Amco was a jeans brand and Amoco petrol. It sounds odd but not out of the question that a jeans company would sponsor a major sporting code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't know much about league or union but I know brands and seek clarity please Hairy. Was it Amco or Amoco? Amco was a jeans brand and Amoco petrol. It sounds odd but not out of the question that a jeans company would sponsor a major sporting code.

Yep, Amco jeans; Bull Denim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Yep, Amco jeans; Bull Denim.

Cool. And I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I would have put my money on it being an oil company. That probably explains why I don't win too often on the punt. 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, Bribie G said:

I've sunk a carton of this in the last week!

Back story:  every ten years CUB have to re brew a brand to retain the trademark. So currently KB, Brisbane Bitter (and hopefully Bulimba Gold Top), and Abbotts Lager are currently making a comeback for a couple of batches, state by state. Don't be surprised to see Ballarat Bitter as well.

The interesting thing is that rather than just fill the cans with VB or something, the CUB accountants usually let the brewers off the leash for a run up the beach, and they genuinely try to replicate the original recipes but with modern ingredients of course.

The KB is bang on from what I remember in the 1970s when I used to sit on the beach with a six pack. It's a rich, hoppy lager and is deep gold with toasty nutty malt character (I think CUB use Joe White's version of roasted barley which is far less black than euro stuff). And check out the original 4.9% ABV. 

I'm definitely going to break the budget and get in another carton from the local LL tomorrow before it sinks into oblivion again in a month or so.

As for "draught brewed" at that time there was originally the tap version but wasn't called KB until they started to can it ... I think it's in Peter Symonds' books somewhere, I'll check.

Cheers.

 

Aha, found it. Tooths New was brewed in 1976 and was of course in competition with Toohey's New. The canned version was KB. Both were also brewed at the Lismore Brewery and I well remember drinking the New at the Pacific Hotel in Yamba in 1980, and the canned KB version was a popular drop in SEQ where I drank it on the aforementioned beach, at Bargara (Bundaberg) back then.

KB stands for Kent Brewery and to this day the Lismore brewery, now a sawmill, still has the outline of a faded Kentish horse on the ends of the original brew house.

I got a can here somewhere cant find it atm 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Hairy said:

Yep, Amco jeans; Bull Denim.

When I left School in 1964 ( jeez !! ) my first job was in a Menswear Store & Amco Jeans were the thing, closely followed by many other brands, Stirling etc but they were strong, good quality& & last lasted for years. Oh the memories. 

 See the source image

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

When I left School in 1964 ( jeez !! ) my first job was in a Menswear Store & Amco Jeans were the thing, closely followed by many other brands, Stirling etc but they were strong, good quality& & last lasted for years. Oh the memories. 

I left high school nearly a decade after that and used to hate denim jeans on the girls back then.  They were a bloody awkward piece of garment especially in the darkness at the drive in theatre.  ha ha😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I left high school nearly a decade after that and used to hate denim jeans on the girls back then.  They were a bloody awkward piece of garment especially in the darkness at the drive in theatre.  ha ha😜

Al you dirty old man, don't you remember the invention of the zipper. 😛  It sorta changed the whole process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...