Coopers Community

Fermentation Fridge Heating

5 minutes ago, lizardking31695 said:

Just setting up my fermentation fridge.. What’s a cheap & affordable way of heating this bad boy ?? Also once I’ve sorted out the heating what’s the ideal temperature to set my InkBird at for lagers ?

Welcome to the forum LK

A low wattage light bulb in a can for heating as per @Journeyman 's technique, I am sure Mark will post a pic for you.  Others like me use both heat belts and heat pads and some use a dog bed warmer from a pet shop.  If you have an old bedside lamp as per Mark's setup that should get you going cheap.  Just be mindful of electrocution hazard if other young family members have access.

As for what temps for lagers.  What lager yeast are you going to use as they vary a bit too??

Cheers - AL

14 hours ago, lizardking31695 said:

Just setting up my fermentation fridge.. What’s a cheap & affordable way of heating this bad boy ?? Also once I’ve sorted out the heating what’s the ideal temperature to set my InkBird at for lagers ?

I've had a couple of el cheapo heaters. Things were a bit chilly when I started HB so I had an old double bed electric blanket and I folded it so the inside layer was off and the outside layer was on 1 and wrapped it around my FV then later, the bottles to make sure they carbed up.

And there lies a tale - 2nd time I accidentally plugged in the side closest to the FV and it was on 3 - I got up next morning to the strip on the outside showing 36°! 😄 Still turned out OK as the yeast had time to do cleanup.

I bought a heat pad - I am wary of the concentrated line of heat a belt provides - but it's in the cupboard for now. My 45W halogen (can't get incandescents now but halogens get hot also) in a can works brilliantly. (see what I did there? 😄)

Canned Heat.jpg

• Haha 1

When I need heating I use an Erlenmeyer flask full of boiling water, top covered with foil to prevent too much moisture escaping it. 

You can probably tell from that that I don't need heating very often 🤣 and rarely if ever with lagers. I usually find once they get going that the heat generated by the fermentation is enough to keep them at the desired temperature. 

I use heat belt plus heat mats connected to my inkbird heat outlets.

Currently I'm using this setup on both my top fermenter and bottom fermenter, in the same fridge. (2 wifi inkbirds)

Works well with early, and late ferment temperature requirements.

Eg, top fermenter in second week at 20c. Bottom fermenter in first week at 18c. (Ales)

20210728_191510.thumb.jpg.97699f029675251bba9597802b87f353.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

SOUTHERN states winter set up. When you need the fridge to kick cold in spring through Autumn, this set up changes. 

The mats are off, the belts stay to work with fridge (inkbird controlled) but I can't separate week 1 and week 2 fermenters.

In the summer, fermentation is 2 weeks at 19c.

Then into 1 week of cold crash, keg and maturation.