Coopers Community

COOPERS HERITAGE LAGER RECIPE

Has anyone made this before, I picked up a can of Can of Coopers Lager on the discount shelf at BigW recently & want to make something more than just a lager.

COOPERS HERITAGE LAGER

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Lager
* 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
1 x 12g Hallertau Hops
1 x 12g Tettnanger Hops
1 x 11.5g SafLager W-34/70 Dry Yeast

I will have to substitute with

* Mangrove Jacks LME 1.7kg

the hops I have in stock are

Hallertau 15gm/Saaz 15gm/POR 50gm

the yeasts I have in stock are  ( apart from several Coopers Kits in the fridge )

Safale US-05.

The recipe says ABV 4.6%, I am wondering how far off it would be with the substitutes ?  Not that it really matters.

Cheers

Phil

56 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Has anyone made this before, I picked up a can of Can of Coopers Lager on the discount shelf at BigW recently & want to make something more than just a lager.

COOPERS HERITAGE LAGER

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Lager
* 1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract
1 x 12g Hallertau Hops
1 x 12g Tettnanger Hops
1 x 11.5g SafLager W-34/70 Dry Yeast

I will have to substitute with

* Mangrove Jacks LME 1.7kg

the hops I have in stock are

Hallertau 15gm/Saaz 15gm/POR 50gm

the yeasts I have in stock are  ( apart from several Coopers Kits in the fridge )

Safale US-05.

The recipe says ABV 4.6%, I am wondering how far off it would be with the substitutes ?  Not that it really matters.

Cheers

Phil

1.043 OG 1.011 FG and 4.2% + .4 [bottle] = 4.6% is my calcs, Classic, using the MJ extract.

13 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The spreadsheet says the can and LME (1.5) is 5% in keg and if 1.7 kg it's 5.3%. (+0.4% for bottles) but it doesn't have figures for Mangrove LME - I just increased the amount using the Coopers can.

OK well as you know the LHBS are all closed & I wanted to get another brew underway & that's my stock ATM. I figure the extra .02gm of LME would push it slightly higher but who cares 🙃 I was thinking I would use Hallertau 15gm/Saaz 15gm.

Cheers

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Yep exactly, I will save the POR for a Pale Ale, Cheers RD.

Yep agree, leave out the PoR. 
as for yeast if using the US05 try to ferment it on the cooler side for less ester production. It won’t be a lager but it will be nice. 
Or do you have any lager yeasts in the Coopers collection? Some are a mixture of lager and ale yeast - if you used a couple of those and fermented cooler, the ale yeast might just go dormant while the lager yeast has a lager party!!

Edited by Tone boy

5 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

as for yeast if using the US05 try to ferment it on the cooler side for less ester production. It won’t be a lager but it will be nice. 
Or do you have any lager yeasts in the Coopers collection? Some are a mixture of lager and ale yeast - if you used a couple of those and fermented cooler, the ale yeast might just go dormant while the lager yeast has a lager party!!

I was going to use the US-05 as I want to brew it at ambient temp in the brew room, I have been doing that for the last 6 months or so as the room temp is always around 18 degrees, on a colder night it can sneak down to 16 or so that's why I will use the Ale yeast.

Cheers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

+1

The Coopers Lager can already has the PoR in it anyway.  No experience yet with US-05 (until next week) but suspect it will turn out a fairly neutral Ale so Haller and Saaz hops should work quite well.  When I did the Heritage Lager K&K it turned out much darker than the spreadsheet predicted.  Note I also used the Muzzy method and it turned out nicely carbed up but I note you use white sugar to prime anyway so that will work ok too.  Pity you did not have any Dubbya as I think this yeast makes this a proper lager and worked well for me.

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

+1

The Coopers Lager can already has the PoR in it anyway.  No experience yet with US-05 (until next week) but suspect it will turn out a fairly neutral Ale so Haller and Saaz hops should work quite well.  When I did the Heritage Lager K&K it turned out much darker than the spreadsheet predicted.  Note I also used the Muzzy method and it turned out nicely carbed up but I note you use white sugar to prime anyway so that will work ok too.  Pity you did not have any Dubbya as I think this yeast makes this a proper lager and worked well for me.

Hi Al, as I said I am going to do it at ambient but if I pulled my finger out I could set up the new brew fridge with the temp controller & get it going, the thing is I have had so much success without it lately I am taking advantage of it, however if the warmer weather ever approaches I will definitely do it. I have never tried Dubbya but when the LBHS re-open I will get some.

Cheers

Phil