Coopers Community

How many Beers an evening, on average?

Pints

12 hours ago, ozdevil said:

backin the days i drank pints i would carve them up like pony's

the problem  is when i get a taste for it  1 or 2 isnt enough  ,i could easily  have 10 to 12 schooners in a sitting at home

Fridays   i usually start with a  counter meal  and thats where i start  at about 1pm  have 3-4 there before  wandering down to the pig troth 
where i will catch up with a few mates and watch the quaddie unfold over the tab  and usually departing around 6pm after 6-8 schooners there

arrive home  pull me self a schooner  if i have beer in the keg  and basicly do another 4 or 5 before dropping a sleep at the computer keyboard

Saturday  wake up fresh as a daisy    head to the golf club  have my 1st schooner around 11am while putting a few bets on then  head out on the course for hit

return to club house  have a few rounds  with me golfing mates  before heading home and if  my team is playing saturday night  maybe  5-6 more schooners

Sunday  i may have a couple or might brew and have a couple or  its a day of rest.

Monday to thursday i bascly a tea totaller  , i may have a couple of   quite xpa  0% abv beers  due to my job

You crack me up Ozzie mate. I'm with you - God help me if I get the taste. 1 or 2 ain't ever enough.🤣 

• Haha 2

I used to drink a lot more - so much so I am surprised my liver is in fine shape. (I have the evidence! 😄) I think my one saving grace was, I have always been a steady drinker - the 1st pint would take about the same time to drink as the last pint. 

When I was bottling it would be 2 x long necks a night on most nights. Thursday & Friday down the Club I'd average 6 or 7 Coopers pale or XPA (SA) pints, occasionally more.

Then kegs - can't just look at the bench to see how many but I rarely have a night off and most nights it's 3 or 4 (SA) pints. On occasion, quite a few more but getting more rare these days.

I'm not a fan of drinking bubbly things after eating and I don't have wine in stock - been thinking of trying a home brew red at some point - so dinner around 8 pm is a cutoff for me. (usually 😄)

• Like 3

I am definitely drink less than most on here. I generally drink 1 schooner total between Mon and Thurs, and then a few on Fri, Sat (3-4 each night) and maybe a Sunday afternoon (1 or 2). 

Often hit it harder if someone comes round (thats the main way I get thru my HB), and have been known to polish off half a keg or more between two of us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I used to drink a lot more - so much so I am surprised my liver is in fine shape. (I have the evidence! 😄)

I thought mine was in such fine shape I had it stuffed and mounted, it now hangs pride of place in the pool room.  🤣

Although some of my family would say I had no need to stuff it as fatty liver probably took care of that part for me.  😧

• Haha 2

when I'm not working nights that used to be every 3 weeks I was drinking 6 to 8.scooners from keg every day shift week. then only 3 or 4 on arvo weeks. night shift was my week off. now I'm on 12 hour shifts I do a few days followed by few off by 3 nights. my night shifts are my only break but on occasion I'll be hanging for a taste after a night shift. wish I could control myself better but I just don't relax properly without it for a good sleep.

• Like 2

Cheers for all the replies mates. I do relate to many of you regarding drinking habits. I also struggle to put the brakes on when it's a nice hoppy ale 😆

In my younger days it was a whole nother story, but now in my mid 30s with 2 small kids I do like to try keep it controlled, although I often do have 1 or 2 too many 😄😅.  I think we all have different limits and different life circumstances, and as long as it's not impactin your life negatively, I say enjoy! 🍻

Life is short, and times are tough. I'm grateful for good beer!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

when I'm not working nights that used to be every 3 weeks I was drinking 6 to 8.scooners from keg every day shift week. then only 3 or 4 on arvo weeks. night shift was my week off. now I'm on 12 hour shifts I do a few days followed by few off by 3 nights. my night shifts are my only break but on occasion I'll be hanging for a taste after a night shift. wish I could control myself better but I just don't relax properly without it for a good sleep.

i get ya..   my angel after a friday night says ease off  from now  but the demon says push the barrier
you need that extra beer ,  the demon dam wins..

enjoy why ya can i reckon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Slightly off topic, but do you guys notice HB beers hit harder in general?  My real ale I'm drinking at the moment measured at 5.3 % which is decent strength, but half way on my 2nd pint and I'm warm and fuzzy 😄😅

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Slightly off topic, but do you guys notice HB beers hit harder in general?  My real ale I'm drinking at the moment measured at 5.3 % which is decent strength, but half way on my 2nd pint and I'm warm and fuzzy 😄😅

Not really, maybe it's higher than 5.3% 🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Agree with OVB.  A HB 8% Imperial Stout has about the same affect on me as a commercial 8% Imperial Stout.  HB is as strong as you make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I'm with you on that one mate 🤣

You also add 0.5% for the carbonation sugar you add when you bottle it.

I made a Belgian Dubbel once with a whole can of  a dark liquid malt - ended up at 9%. If you were feeling chipper before you certainly weren't after, it was like an antidote to Asterix's Magic Potion as in it put you on your arse after one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My drinking is very seasonal but generally I have a long neck after work and often another with dinner depending on what I am eating.  In Summer I can open a third if it has been a warm day but then I am snoring.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Neither would my bladder.

I usually drink Pale and Real Ales in Summer.  In Winter I transition to darker beers and red wine.  I still have a bottle at knock off in Winter but not every day and I get into the house red with dinner.  I certainly have days when I don't drink at all but once the temperature gets above 24º it is pretty much mandatory.  I do sweaty work.   

• Like 2

Good question. Bottles, I try to limit myself to 3 stubbies a day on weekdays. Not sure how I will go with the kegs. So far, not much cos I'm crook and haven't had a beer at all yesterday. I'm a little worried because you could easily lose track when all you have to do is pour a beer, with no bottle as evidence of your consumption. Weekends, it is usually more like 6 a day, depending on what I'm doing. Gut's getting bigger again, so I need to slow down a tad 🙂 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Wow I have found this thread a bit late.  Interesting reading everyone habits. Good to see most of us try to moderate how much we drink.  Personally I probably drink a bit more that I think I do. So to moderate my drinking I drink from small glasses and only make beer that is around 4%.   I have found the sweet spot for lower strength beer without sacrificing flavour and body is in the 3.8-4.1% range. 

I try to have a couple of beer free days a week  but more often than not it doesn't happen.  Usually I will only have a litre of beer on the early days of  the week.  Week ends it maybe 2 or 3 times or more than that. Not really sure as I don't count how much I have.  What I do know with having beer on tap  is drinking from smaller glasses and reducing the ABV  definitely reduces alcohol consumption.    There is a big difference in drinking 2 or 3 pints or tallies of 4% compared to 6% or higher that I know some guys make.  

• Like 1

I must have missed this thread or didn't comment at the time, in my younger days there was a period when I didn't drink at all as I was running Gyms & involved in Bodybuilding/Weightlifting & everything from whole foods, supplements & heavy training. Over the years I started drinking socially ( if there is such thing ) & of course years of travelling in later life calling on Hotels all over Australia selling Stubby Holders etc led to me consuming more of the stuff so nowadays I still love it of course but most week nights I try to have just 2 x Longnecks or 4 stubbies but as we all now if you find your latest batch of Pale Ale to be awesome it is hard to limit yourself.

Of course that depends on whether you have company or not, being single& having Bars in the house with plenty of homebrew it can be a neon sign for mates to look you up so consumption increases. I generally don't count but I am guided by how I feel & usually end up with a wine during meals. I feel if you don't smoke, eat healthy & exercise you will be OK with a few beers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I generally don't count but I am guided by how I feel & usually end up with a wine during meals. I feel if you don't smoke, eat healthy & exercise you will be OK with a few beers.

Yep, I have much the same philosophy.  I have had stages in my life where I have been a heavy drinker and eaten crap food but in general terms for the majority of my adult life I have always been active, healthy eater and a gym junky who drank only on weekends.  There was a stage in my 1st marriage though where my Irish wife and I really did hit the turps during the mid 90's as we had kids and raised the family. It was fun but did not end well. From  2003, when the marriage broke down, I did not drink much at all. I mean I would go months without a drink,  got back into the gym doing function fitness, "crossfit" and "powerlifting". I only started drinking regularly again when I retired a few years ago.  I suppose I have been lucky in a way that I learn from other peoples mistakes.  My grandmother was a smoker and died at 62 from lung cancer when I was 16 and my two best mates who remained heavy drinkers. You know the type 5 or 6 schooners a day after work at the pub and 20 or so on Saturday and Sunday having a punt. They both died in their mid 50's. Basically it was from abusing their body.  I saw what they were doing to themselves and went that life is not for me.   In a weird way I still think I drink too much. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Yep, I have much the same philosophy.  I have had stages in my life where I have been a heavy drinker and eaten crap food but in general terms for the majority of my adult life I have always been active, healthy eater and a gym junky who drank only on weekends.  There was a stage in my 1st marriage though where my Irish wife and I really did hit the turps during the mid 90's as we had kids and raised the family. It was fun but did not end well. From  2003, when the marriage broke down, I did not drink much at all. I mean I would go months without a drink,  got back into the gym doing function fitness, "crossfit" and "powerlifting". I only started drinking regularly again when I retired a few years ago.  I suppose I have been lucky in a way that I learn from other peoples mistakes.  My grandmother was a smoker and died at 62 from lung cancer when I was 16 and my two best mates who remained heavy drinkers. You know the type 5 or 6 schooners a day after work at the pub and 20 or so on Saturday and Sunday having a punt. They both died in their mid 50's. Basically it was from abusing their body.  I saw what they were doing to themselves and went that life is not for me.   In a weird way I still think I drink too much. 

Ditto I have had lot's of mates over the years fall off the perch due to excessive drinking &/or smoking, there is one guy who had toes amputated, then foot, now has one leg & the other is dodgy & yes, he still smokes & drinks as much as he likes, needless to say he is on his last legs 🤔 I had a mate round last night & his big event today is a function at one of the Sports Clubs who have $3.00 (SA) Pints of Carlton Draught all day starting at 11.00am - he will be there all day.  His philosophy is, well I am a member so I will make sure I get my share !!

To him what I am doing today is boring, sanitising bottles for a Pale Ale, bottle it & then put down another one, at some stage I will have the odd beer as I work but I am sure it is better than sitting around in a Club sculling cheap megaswill because it's cheap. 

• Like 3

@Classic Brewing Co I think the thing is I know I love a drink. There is just something about having a cold beer and chilling in the arvo or a good bottle of wine and matching food but I can control it. I know I can stop drinking when I want to I also know how to moderate.  There are many who don't know how to do that.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marty_G said:

@Classic Brewing Co I think the thing is I know I love a drink. There is just something about having a cold beer and chilling in the arvo or a good bottle of wine and matching food but I can control it. I know I can stop drinking when I want to I also know how to moderate.  There are many who don't know how to do that.   

Agreed, why drink it for the sake of it, why wake a with a headache/hangover 😬 like yourself I enjoy it for what it is & because I made it. I would say 20% of my homebrew would be shared with mates, neighbours, visitors etc, maybe more but anyone can go to the pub for megaswill - there are exceptions though, some pub beers are nice.

The way I see it if you spend $7-10 on a beer at the pub & say have 3, well that's enough for the ingredients for your next homebrew !!

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. Old pints feels like he's upped his pints lately. 5 or so daily. I do try take a day off every now and again though. Hope everyone is well and healthy🍻

• Like 2

Not all that many. It'd only be a few beers a week, sometimes less, unless we are having a bit of a get together.

I've got a couple of young kids and dinner/bath/bedtimes usually take up most of the evening. I don't usually drink after a meal so unless I have one as soon as I get home from work, it's a dry night.

I've never been a daily drinker, mostly a binge drinker until I started home brewing. Contrary to probably most brewers, my drinking slowed down once I started brewing. 

I try and keep pretty fit and active and drinking doesn't always fit in to that. I can't afford a hangover with young kids either haha.

I would give away or share 75% of what I make. It's funny, the hobby takes up a reasonable amount of time and effort for something I don't drink all that often. I think I enjoy the sharing and getting together part more than anything else. 

• Like 5