Coopers Community

Just my real English type ale

Pints

Hi mates,

Just thought I would post a pic of my 1 week old real ale. Blown away by the taste and head at such a young age.

1.7 real ale

1kg DME 

300g dex 

Dry hop 30 willamette 20 fuggles

21L

IMG-20210710-WA0072.jpeg

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cee said:

Nice looking brew, @PintsAtMeLocal

How is the taste for you?

I have a bottled mid-strength Real Ale that has just started to really fizz up in week 2, and I like the taste - really keen to try hopping this tin so your brew caught my eye

Thanks buddy. It tastes great so far. Nice and dry. A bit on the bitter side but I'm sure that will improve with age? I like hoppy beers so I will continue to experiment 

• Like 1

Willamette is one of my favourite hops for English Bitters. Yum. 

Personally I find the Real Ale kit too bitter to use as a base for English Bitters. I prefer using the APA kit as a base, along with 300g steeped crystal malt (or you could use amber malt extract instead). The choice of yeast is very important for English Ales. I think the Verdant yeast would make a great choice; I can't wait for my LHBS to start carrying it.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Willamette is one of my favourite hops for English Bitters. Yum. 

Personally I find the Real Ale kit too bitter to use as a base for English Bitters. I prefer using the APA kit as a base, along with 300g steeped crystal malt (or you could use amber malt extract instead). The choice of yeast is very important for English Ales. I think the Verdant yeast would make a great choice; I can't wait for my LHBS to start carrying it.

Cheers,

Christina.

It is quite bitter! Thanks for the tips🍻

• Like 1