Coopers Community

Tap Cleaning

Journeyman

Looking to experienced keggers and hoping for suggestions.

Recently I had a tap leak beer onto the floor. So with all kegs out of beer I took the taps out and dunked them in sod perc overnight. Up till now my process has been, empty a keg, pump sod perc solution into the tap and leave it a while, then after a couple of days use stellarsan to push it out and leave it sit till the next keg is ready to tap.

My problem is this - when originally setting up I have maybe tightened the tap onto the shank too tightly and now I can't undo them. I don't want to damage either shank thread or the tap so apart from putting cloth of some kind between the multigrips and the metal, anyone got any good ideas for getting them apart?

At the moment my best thought is to get out the heat gun and use a fine nozzle to heat only the shank collar as best I can - I don't want to heat the taps as they're nukataps with an insert of silicon or something - I'd rather not compromise that. Although those bits are relatively cheap I guess. 

Edited by Journeyman

I once over done mine and twisted the crap out of it making it move on the inside and scratched the font. when I eventually got it off I just had to re tighten everything and put back on without over doing it no damage done. think they tougher than we realise just reminded me blew a keg last night lines need a clean. heat gun sounds like ok idea maby then use gloves to hold and a spanner to assist?

you may just end up with burn marks at worse but I'm far from an expert 😅

Edited by jamiek86
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Recently I had a tap leak beer onto the floor. So with all kegs out of beer I took the taps out and dunked them in sod perc overnight. Up till now my process has been, empty a keg, pump sod perc solution into the tap and leave it a while, then after a couple of days use stellarsan to push it out and leave it sit till the next keg is ready to tap.

My problem is this - when originally setting up I have maybe tightened the tap onto the shank too tightly and now I can't undo them. I don't want to damage either shank thread or the tap so apart from putting cloth of some kind between the multigrips and the metal, anyone got any good ideas for getting them apart?

At the moment my best thought is to get out the heat gun and use a fine nozzle to heat only the shank collar as best I can - I don't want to heat the taps as they're nukataps with an insert of silicon or something - I'd rather not compromise that. Although those bits are relatively cheap I guess. 

Before applying heat I would try the cloth method or some rubber instead of cloth like a gardening glove between the multigrips and the shank. As an alternative if you have some vise grips these may be better than the multigrips. This all depends on how much room you have. You should be able to get them undone without the heat.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

heat gun sounds like ok idea maby then use gloves to hold and a spanner to assist?

you may just end up with burn marks at worse but I'm far from an expert 😅

😄 Well I was planning on just warming it a bit - red hot seemed a bit extreme. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Unless I missed something can’t you use the special tool to undo the taps or are you saying it’s too tight for that. Isn’t there little indentations where the special tool grips the collar?

5034808A-C447-4E95-9DA6-0C789E859ECA.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Unless I missed something can’t you use the special tool to undo the taps or are you saying it’s too tight for that. Isn’t there little indentations where the special tool grips the collar?

5034808A-C447-4E95-9DA6-0C789E859ECA.png

Unless I am mistaken, Journeyman already has one of these tools.  And I think from memory of my set-up the undo is opposite of what you normally think it would be.  Like a LPG gas bottle thread, LHT, maybe when looking from the front.  Just saying...

You might be trying to tighten it up instead of undoing it.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the 7 in 1 tool from KL (as above) to attach and remove my Nukataps and that seems to work fine. If you do not have that tool I would use vice grips with some form of protection for the securing nut to remove the nut. Or get a pin wrench from Bunnings or somewhere. I would not recommend heat at all or only as a last resort, heat would destroy all the seals within the tap.

I have a spare Nukatap so what I do is remove 1, dismantle it and soak it in PBW and then give it a good rinse, reassemble with food grade lubricant. I rotate the taps and cleaning regime over time.

Oh and yeah, as Al mentions they are left hand threads so looking from the front of the tap clockwise to loosen. You are possibly tightening them rather than loosening them?

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RDT2 said:

That special tool doesn't fit that hole in the collar - the nob kinda hooks in to the lip of the hole but there's no purchase. Most useless tool I have ever bought. I've never found a use for it. 

19 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That special tool doesn't fit that hole in the collar - the nob kinda hooks in to the lip of the hole but there's no purchase. Most useless tool I have ever bought. I've never found a use for it. 

Mine worked alright doing my taps up firmly but haven’t  used it to undo them yet? I had to be careful to make sure it was seated though. Yours must be very tight what did you do them up with? The tool should fit with the small little nib thing I have attached photos to make sure we are talking about the same thing

31733744-4C75-4326-BA0B-6873716EF9B2.jpeg

8D3985EF-F5B4-4651-A9FE-4D01F96F14BE.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Mine worked alright doing my taps up firmly but haven’t  used it to undo them yet? I had to be careful to make sure it was seated though. Yours must be very tight what did you do them up with?

Just by hand. We're talking the little nub sticking out at the top of the pic above? I don't see anything but that which could be used and on mine it is a square cross section that just barely catches on the edge of the circular hole - you certainly can't apply pressure without it slipping out. And trying to do it without totally removing the shank from the fridge is pretty much impossible and if you don't remove it the entire shank just turns.

13 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Oh and yeah, as Al mentions they are left hand threads so looking from the front of the tap clockwise to loosen. You are possibly tightening them rather than loosening them?

I'll try later and make sure I am trying to undo them the correct way - you're sure they are LHT? The shank thread is consistent the entire length so are you saying the tap is LHT or the shank where the collar screws on?

Edited by Journeyman

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Just by hand. 

I'll try later and make sure I am trying to undo them the correct way - you're sure they are LHT? The shank thread is consistent the entire length so are you saying the tap is LHT or the shank where the collar screws on?

@Shamus O'Sean should be able to confirm as I remember him having to pull his taps apart recently and I don’t remember it being in reverse when installing, I thought that was for just gas??

Edited by RDT2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Just by hand. We're talking the little nub sticking out at the top of the pic above? I don't see anything but that which could be used and on mine it is a square cross section that just barely catches on the edge of the circular hole - you certainly can't apply pressure without it slipping out. And trying to do it without totally removing the shank from the fridge is pretty much impossible and if you don't remove it the entire shank just turns.

Yes actually it is not a left hand thread but the tightening collar is mounted to the font side. So on my system it is sort of counter-intuitive, to loosen you must turn the collar clockwise to loosen, that is when viewed from the front of the tap or the spout end.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

@kmar92 and @iBooz2are right it turns to the left for tightening and right for loose just watched kegland  video cheers guys I want to clean my taps soon and you probably saved me some swearing and probably damage to the collar🤬🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Thanks, that makes it clear. I think I see my issue - I didn't register there are teeth that engage when I was setting up so I'm trying to unscrew the tap while holding the collar tight. DOH! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Thanks, that makes it clear. I think I see my issue - I didn't register there are teeth that engage when I was setting up so I'm trying to unscrew the tap while holding the collar tight. DOH! 😄

At least now you hopefully  won’t need to use the oxy to heat it to a cherry red and attack it with the ball peen hammer 🔨 to loosen it off 🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

@Shamus O'Sean should be able to confirm as I remember him having to pull his taps apart recently and I don’t remember it being in reverse when installing, I thought that was for just gas??

Sounds like you fellas have sorted this one out.  I use the 7-in-1 tool with the little nib.  I find I have to have it lined up in the centre of the collar or else it pops out.  I also need to turn it fairly accurately too.

As to which way to remove it, I turn it the way that does not tighten it up.  Or at least I do once I realise I am turning it the wrong way.

• Haha 2

Cleaned my nukataps and lines today with my converted pressure sprayer worked really well. Also pulled one of my taps apart and no crap inside it after two months so very happy with nukataps performance so far👍 🍻 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, iBooz2 said:

Unless I am mistaken, Journeyman already has one of these tools.  And I think from memory of my set-up the undo is opposite of what you normally think it would be.  Like a LPG gas bottle thread, LHT, maybe when looking from the front.  Just saying...

You might be trying to tighten it up instead of undoing it.

For others who may read, this was the problem. I was trying to 'undo' the collar as usual but you have to turn to the right (looking from front) to do that.

Also before I do this again I'm taking a file to the multi-tool - that little nub is going to lose its' square edges - they make it a bugger to use. 😄