Coopers Community

How To's That I Feel Like A Muppet For Asking

Cee

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

the tin if brewed might be a bit darker or slightly different taste but if had a spare yeast would be drinkable. If you ever buy a specialty yeast and store tin yeast in fridge any ale one would do the job I'm assuming 

I have made 2 "non-alco" GBs now and they are now a request - I like them myself, too

This tin was part of a 2nd Hand purchase so if it is safe I have plans for it (mwah ha-ha-ha haaaahhhh)

Yep safale works a treat - a cinnamon stick and steeped ginger-root too, and brown sugar - comes out kinda Bundaberg-ish

Safety of such an old tin was my only barrier to giving it a bash

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK this one has an Estimated Muppetness Level of Gonzo 2A (in full Eval Knievel costume, but without the hen assistants)

I've been studying the threads on Apple Ciders and I keep seeing 2 methods that stand out to me most right now

1. Use apple juice as a base

2. Use the MJ kit

As several folk say the kit lacks a little flavour, my Muppet question is, why has nobody combined the two methods? Brew the kit IN apple juice!

Is there a really obvious reason why this is not what folk seem to do? I don't believe I am the first to ever consider this so yeah... Would it make something vile?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

I believe there are some people that do this but its better for kegging as i understand. Unless that stuff add to stop fermenting means you can still bottle carb and keep sweetness and fresh taste from juice? Been looking into this myself but haven't got around to it yet.

Hm yep not up to learning kegging yet 🙂 

Yeah maybe the extra juice just means extra stuffs for the yeasts to strip out and might just make it drier? Unless as you say we use that wine stuff that stops fermenting

Clearly, I have no idea hahahaha

The more I think about it the more Gonzo-ish I feel

I fear I must upgrade the question to Estimated Muppetness Level of Gonzo 1 - Full Evel Knievel outfit AND the hen assistants

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Cee said:

Semi-Muppetish query - I will call it, "Dominar Rygel" Level of Muppetness

What process do you use to choose hops for different Coopers tins?

It might be a bit boring, but I tend to follow the Coopers recipe recommendations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It might be a bit boring, but I tend to follow the Coopers recipe recommendations.

I agree with Shamus, if it ain't broke, don't try & fix it !!  Coppers have been doing it for 160 years. 🥳  There is nothing wrong with experimenting to suit your tastes.

I would have a look at this chart for a few ideas.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=cab5578e03d0545ab7a62294d504dc368b70e75c958ac98987aff6dfaddbbc94JmltdHM9MTY1NTU5MjAxNiZpZ3VpZD00ZDk3YTA5Yy01MGNhLTRjMTQtOWQ0Zi00OTBlNDVjZjA4YzQmaW5zaWQ9NTE2Nw&ptn=3&fclid=9f74fc92-ef57-11ec-a338-f7c05b51d5ea&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9ob21lYnJld2FjYWRlbXkuY29tL2hvcHMtY2hhcnQv&ntb=1

Brewing is similar to Cooking, there are tried & tested ingredients/methods done by experts for centuries but there is nothing wrong with adjusting your recipe to achieve different results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all - and a special mention to all the coppers still keeping a 160 year old tradition alive 😄

That's probably the best hop chart for my vision that I've seen, @Classic Brewing Coheaps of info and easy to read

Nothing wrong with following the experts' recommendations, too. I sometimes try that before messing up a couple of dozen times but usually I learn the harder way 😄

I guess as there is no Right or Wrong in tastes, it's a case of try a few and see what works. I guess my thinking was following the style of thinking that goes, "Use dark malts for dark beers, light malts for lighter beers" but with hops... If that makes sense...