Coopers Community

CRAFT BREWERIES

Classic Brewing Co

7 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Have any of you Adelaiden's heard of or been to this place, I stumbled  across it on the Internet, could be worth a visit while in the Adelaide Hills.

It is a small family owned affair with a Tap Room, they have won a few awards also. 

https://silverbarkbrewery.com.au/

any craft brewery  is worth  atleast supporting once 
and given ago..

alot of these smaller companies are not supported by lion nathons etc

alot of these smaller breweries are also happy to hel the buddy homebrewer out..
something ya wont see by the top  teir brewries like lion nathons etc
they all think there beer is as secret as the colnel sanders kfc chickon seasoning is

On 6/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, ozdevil said:

any craft brewery  is worth  atleast supporting once 
and given ago..

alot of these smaller companies are not supported by lion nathons etc

alot of these smaller breweries are also happy to hel the buddy homebrewer out..
something ya wont see by the top  teir brewries like lion nathons etc
they all think there beer is as secret as the colnel sanders kfc chickon seasoning is

I went to a craft brewery the other day bought myself a pint of a Red Ale and a small schooner of ginger beer for Mrs and I mean small, $25 I paid for it thinking this is a mistake. Checked menu 15 dollars for a pint ffs. (Another brewers abbreviation @CLASSIC )Didn’t tell much about the beers either on the menu. The beer was named after a national park,  dad asked the girl behind the bar if she knew where it was (we did) she didn’t and she was from Perth🤣

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I went to a craft brewery the other day bought myself a pint of a Red Ale and a small schooner of ginger beer for Mrs and I mean small, $25 I paid for it thinking this is a mistake. Checked menu 15 dollars for a pint ffs. (Another brewers abbreviation @CLASSIC )Didn’t tell much about the beers either on the menu. The beer was named after a national park,  dad asked the girl behind the bar if she knew where it was (we did) she didn’t and she was from Perth🤣

I do know what you mean that pricing is steep, we expect to pay a bit more at a craft establishment but $15.00 for a Pint is way too much. I find in a lot of cases their beer is just average yet in another they are outstanding. Most of the Craft Breweries I have visited have at least one blackboard special on offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

While i dont  like the cost of pints being up aroud the $15 and i would expect that be a limited release.

I would expect a pint of  there regular beers to be $10-12  at most

There beer would have had to be exceptional and i would like to have some tasting notes with that  either on the beer menu
or a good barkeep to tell you the knowledge.

however its the taxes in Australia that makes the beers  a bit more costly   

once you go above 5%  i think it is  the more the brewer has to pay in tax  in which they apply to end user

I hope ya $15 dollar pint was worth the cost

• Thanks 1

A Pint of beer shouldn't cost any more than $10.00 although you Mexicans call our Pint a Schooner & our your Pint is an Imperial Pint, the bottom line is it would have a bloody good drop to justify $15.00. I would stretch to $12.00 bucks but like a lot of others I have travelled all over Australia & had many different beers in different states & most of the Pubs including the Outback the pricing is fair, Craft Breweries are a bit different & I can understand the higher cost but there is no way I would pay $15.00 for a beer.

Having said that, it is up to the individual to form their own opinion.

I like beer so Cheers. 🍻

44 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

A Pint of beer shouldn't cost any more than $10.00 although you Mexicans call our Pint a Schooner & our your Pint is an Imperial Pint, the bottom line is it would have a bloody good drop to justify $15.00. I would stretch to $12.00 bucks but like a lot of others I have travelled all over Australia & had many different beers in different states & most of the Pubs including the Outback the pricing is fair, Craft Breweries are a bit different & I can understand the higher cost but there is no way I would pay $15.00 for a beer.

I like beer so Cheers. 🍻

I honestly thought it was a mistake on his part but no. It was $10 for a small middy of ginger beer too. That wasn’t even a proper size either. Will be going back to Blasta Brewery if it’s my choice next time or maybe my shed and Weber.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I like beer so Cheers. 🍻

In Australia we pay top dollar for alcoholic beverages.  This due to the outrageous and ever increasing Commonwealth, State Government and Local government taxes and charges.

The beer manufactures, to keep the price of  their beer within an "price range" to avoid customer buying resistance are gradually reducing the ABV of their range along with their bottle/can size from 375ml to 330.

The main culprit being the half yearly CPI increases to excise. The compounding factor year after year outstrips wage increases even if you are lucky enough to get one.  And to round it all out is the tax on tax GST.

With the price of package beer now I am glad I brew my own.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

In Australia we pay top dollar for alcoholic beverages.  This due to the outrageous and ever increasing Commonwealth, State Government and Local government taxes and charges.

The beer manufactures, to keep the price of  their beer within an "price range" to avoid customer buying resistance are gradually reducing the ABV of their range along with their bottle/can size from 375ml to 330.

The main culprit being the half yearly CPI increases to excise. The compounding factor year after year outstrips wage increases even if you are lucky enough to get one.  And to round it all out is the tax on tax GST.

With the price of package beer now I am glad I brew my own.

spot on

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Breaktrainjack said:

And they have the hide to call it  "Luxuries"🤬 THEIR whole exsitance is one huge luxury 🙄🤐

Yes their existence depends on the big OZ PONZI scheme rolling on and on and on...

I think we all need to wake up and have an EUREKA DAY.  From that day forward all businesses and tax payers, well we all simply withhold our PAYE and GST remittances until THEY get it.

PS:    A 1.25 Litre bottle of Bundaberg under-proof rum (yellow label bottled in Australia) was $15.30 in Cambodia when I was last there.  In Langkawi a half litre can of Carlsberg was 0.98 kangaroo dollars i.e. 98 cents.

• Like 3

Well as much as some of them charge like wounded bulls, there are some great Craft Breweries out there & most of the food available matches their beers. It is a good day out with friends.

I have come across a few shockers but that's the way with some pubs. I have an old mate who I take shopping & he likes going to the Pub for a few after & he will only drink stubbies of Light & despises anything that says craft or gourmet. He is old school & was a butcher all of his life & it is hard to get him to try one out of the tap, least of all a craft beer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have an old mate who I take shopping & he likes going to the Pub for a few after & he will only drink stubbies of Light & despises anything that says craft or gourmet. He is old school 

I have a neighbour like that won’t drink anything fruity just drinks corona. Only difference is I don’t take him shopping😆 I haven’t tried him with my Pilsner yet that will be interesting.

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I have a neighbour like that won’t drink anything fruity just drinks corona. Only difference is I don’t take him shopping😆 I haven’t tried him with my Pilsner yet that will be interesting.

Some of them become so stuck in their ways, they are boring, The old guy I am talking about will only drink light & gets 🦍 after about 4 stubbies of Cascade, if he can't get that they usually have Hahn Light, he will drink it but complains all through it.

He has been at my bar watching me pour nice heady beers but won't even try them.

All the more for me. 😊

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:33 PM, iBooz2 said:

Yes their existence depends on the big OZ PONZI scheme rolling on and on and on...

I think we all need to wake up and have an EUREKA DAY.  From that day forward all businesses and tax payers, well we all simply withhold our PAYE and GST remittances until THEY get it.

PS:    A 1.25 Litre bottle of Bundaberg under-proof rum (yellow label bottled in Australia) was $15.30 in Cambodia when I was last there.  In Langkawi a half litre can of Carlsberg was 0.98 kangaroo dollars i.e. 98 cents.

I got my flag mate 👍

• Like 1

@CLASSIC isn't the only real pint an imperial one? what are you SA blokes doing calling scooner pints? then you go to Sydney cbd and they have schmiddies half way volume between pot/middy and scooner.

Pretty much only tassie and Vic have the right names for beer sizes and take away food. Geeze cane toads call a potato cake a scollop lol just messing QLD it's not really a cake either.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC isn't the only real pint an imperial one? what are you SA blokes doing calling scooner pints? then you go to Sydney cbd and they have schmiddies half way volume between pot/middy and scooner.

Pretty much only tassie and Vic have the right names for beer sizes and take away food. Geeze cane toads call a potato cake a scollop lol just messing QLD it's not really a cake either.

Here in SA we build one way freeways. It only makes sense we call a pint that isn't a pint.
We might be backward in some ways but we're also the home of Coopers. Surely that gives us some cred. 😄 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Here in SA we build one way freeways. It only makes sense we call a pint that isn't a pint.
We might be backward in some ways but we're also the home of Coopers. Surely that gives us some cred. 😄 

Hey Muzzy it's nice to have a big brother looking after me, we sure do have Coopers & we are damn proud of it. Personally I don't care what anyone calls their beer glass sizes, believe me I have had them all, the most important thing is the contents so call it what you will Pony/Butcher/Schooner/Pint/Big Ar.... Glass whatever, just don't fill it up with horiibuless brown stuff.

There are good beers, bad beers but the worst is no beers.

Cheers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

We have an alcohol ban here in SA ( South Africa,  not Adelaide). So I'm grateful for homebrew in me glass! CHEERS 🍻

It's interesting how different governments put restrictions in place. While I wouldn't be happy about no alcohol but I can see a lot of common sense in placing restrictions on it. Less drunk people presenting to hospitals obviously puts less pressure on the health system. Meanwhile here in Australia when we were locked down, virtually all businesses were shut. Only "essential" businesses remained opened. These included bottle shops. 🤔

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It's interesting how different governments put restrictions in place. While I wouldn't be happy about no alcohol but I can see a lot of common sense in placing restrictions on it. Less drunk people presenting to hospitals obviously puts less pressure on the health system. Meanwhile here in Australia when we were locked down, virtually all businesses were shut. Only "essential" businesses remained opened. These included bottle shops. 🤔

I find it strange but if it is necessary that's the way it is, I remember when we were in lockdown & our Police Commissioner was interviewed regarding which businesses would shut or close & when asked about bottle shops he said they would remain open to preserve some sort of sanity/relief from the restrictions imposed.

Apart from having heaps of beer/beer supplies the only affect on me personally would be 🍷so I would have to stock up. 

• Like 1