Coopers Community

Kayak Phil

Hi all interested if anyone has used a bar of dark chocolate in the wort I have tried cocco  in a real ale did not like it so mixed it with coopers Stout at point of comsumtion .

More of a  dark ale and Stout man 

Atm however not that impressed with coopers Irish Stout and have gone back to Plain Coopers Stout much more liking to my taste buds. CHEERS .PHILIP 

Welcome to the forums...

There are several ways to get chocolate into your brew. There are essences you can get or cacao nibs (from your LHBS or online) but also chocolate grains of various darkness and flavours. These last would require a steep at least and maybe a partial mash - I haven't used them so not sure about the mash. I do have some dark choc rye malt for my next stout. I usually do partial mashes anyway so once I've poured the steep liquid into the boil pot I add the soaked grains in with the ale malt grains just because... Not sure if it adds much to the ABV or body but why the hell not do it? 😄

1 hour ago, kayak phil said:

Hi all interested if anyone has used a bar of dark chocolate in the wort I have tried cocco  in a real ale did not like it so mixed it with coopers Stout at point of comsumtion .

More of a  dark ale and Stout man 

Atm however not that impressed with coopers Irish Stout and have gone back to Plain Coopers Stout much more liking to my taste buds. CHEERS .PHILIP 

I used dark cooking chocolate in a breakfast/imperial  stout and it was like an oil tanker run aground in my beer. It had a head for 10 seconds then vanished. Still carbonated and drinkable just no head so I won’t do it again. I would malts to get the flavour next time or cacao/cocoa.