Coopers Community

Red IPA Brew Fail - Will it taste half decent anyway?

G'Day all

I was brewing the Red IPA ROTM earlier today and in more ways than one had a bit of a nightmare with it all.  The biggest fail was that the tin of extract slipped from my hand once the lid came off and because I had it in a sink full of hot water to loosen the contents, I lost about half of it into the other empty sink.

I ploughed on with what I had left though and finished the recipe off.  I decided to use the majority of the Light Dry Malt and BE2 but not quite all of it given I lost half the extract.  The other thing I decided to reduce to compensate for what I lost was the water and only went to 18L instead of 21L.

Q for the more experienced out there is what the impact of only being able to use half the extract is given I failed with the other half.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

G'Day all

I was brewing the Red IPA ROTM earlier today and in more ways than one had a bit of a nightmare with it all.  The biggest fail was that the tin of extract slipped from my hand once the lid came off and because I had it in a sink full of hot water to loosen the contents, I lost about half of it into the other empty sink.

I ploughed on with what I had left though and finished the recipe off.  I decided to use the majority of the Light Dry Malt and BE2 but not quite all of it given I lost half the extract.  The other thing I decided to reduce to compensate for what I lost was the water and only went to 18L instead of 21L.

Q for the more experienced out there is what the impact of only being able to use half the extract is given I failed with the other half.

Cheers

My personal opinion would be maybe you should have cut it back to say 11 litres as you only were able to use 1/2 of the main ingredient, the extract, however it would appear it is too late for that now. I would suggest you have just made a light beer, but I am sure someone more experienced than I will offer you a different view.

Cheers.

Edited by CLASSIC
  • Like 1

Butterfingers. 

Did you take a hydrometer reading ?    That'll be a clue as to how much material made it to the tub.   

I expect you'll end up with beer between 4.0 and 4.5%.  It'll probably be darker than intended if you added the Carafa l Malt but not as bitter as it is supposed to be as much of the bittering went down the sink.   Cross your fingers.  You could have decent beer yet but more akin to an Irish Ale than a fat IPA.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Butterfingers. 

Did you take a hydrometer reading ?    That'll be a clue as to how much material made it to the tub.   

I expect you'll end up with beer between 4.0 and 4.5%.  It'll probably be darker than intended if you added the Carafa l Malt but not as bitter as it is supposed to be as much of the bittering went down the sink.   Cross your fingers.  You could have decent beer yet but more akin to an Irish Ale than a fat IPA.

The Tilt told me it was 1.030 once it had settled so we will see what we manage to get to.  Whilst the reduced alcohol is not ideal, if it still tastes decent then I will take it.  As long as I enjoy the taste then the lower alcohol I can live with.

I just need to source the ingredients again now though as make it as intended as I was really looking forward to this particular recipe.

Oh well.....c'est la vie.

• Like 2

Oh.  That is a good deal less than I expected.  You'll likely only get 3.5% from that.  I had reduced the LDME and Dextrose by 20% in my original estimates but with an OG of 1.030 the reduction must have been closer to 50% - or more than half your extract went down the gurgler.    I hope you can salvage something from it.

It's already busy fermenting and has been for 12 hours or so. I will let it run its course and see what happens. I don't mind the lower alcohol as long as the taste is still there.

I am already looking at sourcing all the ingredients to remake it and see how the two compare.