Coopers Community

Brew A - Mid Strength?

I'm looking at brewing a simple mid strength. I've previously done the Coopers Mild Ale which was tasty enough, but I have a tin of TC Brew A IPA I was thinking of using, plus some dry hop for some extra interest. 

My thought is:

Brew A

500 g LDME

30 g mosaic dry hop

US05 or Nottingham.

Any thoughts or comments? I also have a Bootmaker Pale I could use instead.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:23 PM, loafing_about said:

I'm looking at brewing a simple mid strength. I've previously done the Coopers Mild Ale which was tasty enough, but I have a tin of TC Brew A IPA I was thinking of using, plus some dry hop for some extra interest. 

My thought is:

Brew A

500 g LDME

30 g mosaic dry hop

US05 or Nottingham.

Any thoughts or comments? I also have a Bootmaker Pale I could use instead.

Just be aware that the Brew A IPA can is one of the highest bittered of the Coopers kits.  The Bootmaker Pale is a little bit less bitter.  As you referred to the Coopers Mild Ale recipe as "tasty enough" suggests you are after a bit more.  The Brew A IPA might suit your palate nicely.  Be sure to let us know what you did and how it goes.

• Like 1

Thanks Green and Shamus. 
i put this down yesterday with the Brew A and Nottingham yeast. Shamus, you were spot on in thinking I wanted it to have a bit more flavour than the mild hence the tweaks. hopefully the bitterness is too out of balance. My most recent brews have all been hazy or neipa recipe of the month or variations but keep seeing comments about the Brew A can  being great so this could be a good way to understand different profiles of extracts. I’ll be sure to post back. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, loafing_about said:

My thought is:

Brew A

500 g LDME

30 g mosaic dry hop

US05 or Nottingham.

I recently did almost exactly this - bit more LDME and did the mosaic as a hops tea. It was so good I went and bought a commercial can of IPA to compare and mine was betterer! 😄

• Like 1

The TC Bootmaker and Brew A are both great tins. It's all a matter of personal taste of course but I've never added hops to any of the TC range. Haven't found it necessary. I usually just add a tin a light malt extract and they've never disappointed. I figured they're pre-hopped by Coopers already. They probably know enough about beer that someone like me shouldn't go messing around with their recipes too much. That's not to say you shouldn't.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ended up doing the mosaic as a tea bit dry hop and the brew has been in the bottle for just over a month now and I’m really happy with it. It isn’t thick and super hoppy but for a mid strength it’s pretty good. Perhaps a bit over bitter but think this will mellow with age. 

Today I basically the same Brew but used verdant ipa yeast so will be interesting so if a bit more fruit comes through in the end product. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, loafing_about said:

I ended up doing the mosaic as a tea bit dry hop and the brew has been in the bottle for just over a month now and I’m really happy with it. It isn’t thick and super hoppy but for a mid strength it’s pretty good. Perhaps a bit over bitter but think this will mellow with age. 

Today I basically the same Brew but used verdant ipa yeast so will be interesting so if a bit more fruit comes through in the end product. 

Glad to hear it. I'm busy sampling a week old brew A ipa, verdant ipa yeast, 1kg DME,  50g dry hop southern passion. It's lovely but not bitter enough for me.

20210724_170649.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1