Coopers Community

Hazy IPA or NEIPA Recipe

Hello all,

I was wondering is anyone has a good Hazy IPA or NEIPA recipe that isn’t all grain? I am still quite new to brewing so I am not doing all grain brewing yet. 

All of the recipes for those types of beers I’ve found have been all grain. My brews at the moment consist of malt extract, fermentables, wheat/oats and hops.

Any suggestions would be great!

38 minutes ago, Lynchy17 said:

Hello all,

I was wondering is anyone has a good Hazy IPA or NEIPA recipe that isn’t all grain? I am still quite new to brewing so I am not doing all grain brewing yet. 

All of the recipes for those types of beers I’ve found have been all grain. My brews at the moment consist of malt extract, fermentables, wheat/oats and hops.

Any suggestions would be great!

Have you had a look at Coopers recipes on this site.

1 minute ago, Lynchy17 said:

I see a lot of the all grain brews have rolled oats. Does that help as well?

i've never used oats but have used verdant yeast twice and have ended up with cloudy yet bloody tasty beer both times

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

i've never used oats but have used verdant yeast twice and have ended up with cloudy yet bloody tasty beer both times

Okay brilliant, so just brew a regular IPA with verdant yeast should do it

19 minutes ago, Lynchy17 said:

Okay brilliant, so just brew a regular IPA with verdant yeast should do it

if you're like me and still mostly using extract cans i think it's a good way to try and get close to the beer you're trying to make

1 Mexican cerveza

750g dry wheat malt extract

750g dry malt extract

250g oats (optional)

Boil 10l of water with 950g of the malt extract for 10 min, turn off heat and add:

50g Amarillo

25g Citra

25g Azacca

Let sit for 15 minutes, while it is sitting fill a Sink with cold water and ice and then add the pot after 15 min and cool the wort. Add cerveza can to the fermenter with the filtered wort and top up to 21l.

Use verdant, M66, Voss Kveik, new England yeast or kolsch yeast (basically a yeast that biotransforms or provides complimentary esters (kveik)) and on day 2 add 25g of each of the 3 hops above and on day 7 add 50g of each of the 3 hops. Let sit until day 10 or 11 and cold crash for 3 days and then keg and carbonate.

You can increase the extract to increase the ABV and if you substitute a partial mash for some extract. Use 500g of wheat malt and 500g of ale malt.

Watch the oxygen take up during kegging or bottling.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Norris! said:

1 Mexican cerveza

750g dry wheat malt extract

750g dry malt extract

250g oats (optional)

Boil 10l of water with 950g of the malt extract for 10 min, turn off heat and add:

50g Amarillo

25g Citra

25g Azacca

Let sit for 15 minutes, while it is sitting fill a Sink with cold water and ice and then add the pot after 15 min and cool the wort. Add cerveza can to the fermenter with the filtered wort and top up to 21l.

Use verdant, M66, Voss Kveik, new England yeast or kolsch yeast (basically a yeast that biotransforms or provides complimentary esters (kveik)) and on day 2 add 25g of each of the 3 hops above and on day 7 add 50g of each of the 3 hops. Let sit until day 10 or 11 and cold crash for 3 days and then keg and carbonate.

You can increase the extract to increase the ABV and if you substitute a partial mash for some extract. Use 500g of wheat malt and 500g of ale malt.

Watch the oxygen take up during kegging or bottling.

Perfect. When I add the malt extract do I add 475g of each to make the 950g then add the oats? 

I don’t have the facilities to cold crash yet but that’s next on the list along with a pressurised fermentor.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lynchy17 said:

Perfect. When I add the malt extract do I add 475g of each to make the 950g then add the oats?

I highly recommend not using oats, even though I tossed it in there, without a Base malt partial mash for it BUT you can just toss them in but you kind of have to do a cereal mash and other stuff...I have tossed them in without a base malt in extract, it brought the silky mouthfeel but you can get that from adding some maltodextrin. A box of BE3, brew enhancer 3, will work well in this brew.

So let me adjust it slightly, and yes you can split the extract evenly or unevenly, it doesn't matter.

Same hops and schedule and yeast and process but fermentables would be:

1 Mexican cerveza can

1kg BE3 - you can use 750g or just the entire box which I think is 1kg. 

750g dry wheat malt extract.

Sorry for switching up like that. You can just toss in the oats but if You want haze the hops will give it to you along with the yeast in a more traditional way. 

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I highly recommend not using oats, even though I tossed it in there, without a Base malt partial mash for it BUT you can just toss them in but you kind of have to do a cereal mash and other stuff...I have tossed them in without a base malt in extract, it brought the silky mouthfeel but you can get that from adding some maltodextrin. A box of BE3, brew enhancer 3, will work well in this brew.

So let me adjust it slightly, and yes you can split the extract evenly or unevenly, it doesn't matter.

Same hops and schedule and yeast and process but fermentables would be:

1 Mexican cerveza can

1kg BE3 - you can use 750g or just the entire box which I think is 1kg. 

750g dry wheat malt extract.

Sorry for switching up like that. You can just toss in the oats but if You want haze the hops will give it to you along with the yeast in a more traditional way. 

That’s great! Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One last thing, if you don't want to use that many hops for dry hopping you can go with 20g of each on day 2 and a mix of each for 100g total on day 7 for 160g total dry hops as the 100g of hops at flameout will provide a ton of flavour and aroma.  

You can also switch up the hops to your favorite ones. Galaxy, ecplise, mosaic, centennial, simcoe, motueka, etc.

Good brewing

• Like 1