Coopers Community

Beer tasting chemically

3 minutes ago, bennysbrew said:

I've got a chemical problem that pops up once or twice a year in recent years. I don't know what it is, it's not a taste I can describe, but it's nothing like a beer- not remotely drinkable , solventy maybe, but it's hard to explain flavours and smells , I mean what the hell does a band aid taste like and I question anyone who could explain what it does. This is like a bottle of chemicals of some description, cleaner, again hard to explain..

Only thing I can I think of is maybe I don't rinse the napi San well enough after soaking the equipment in it. Hard to pin point the problem when most of my batches are fine, but then it rears it head again. 

It doesn't get better with time in the bottle, it gets worse. This batch I could taste it after f.g , so wasn't a bottling issue. I made another batch straight after it, and it's fine.... I dunno. 

Hi @bennysbrew  Here's a couple of ideas but I am sure one of the members might be able to help you further, Cheers Phil.

https://www.belgiansmaak.com/off-flavours-in-beer-off-flavours/

Thanks Phil . Good article, I've read a few similar .  I think it's either not rinsing properly, or maybe it's my 1973 water pipes... 

I have no problems with temp control, Brew a wide variety of beers so can't pinpoint a certain ingredient. 

It's mettalic , or house cleanerish. I've done 80 odd batches now and it wasn't something that happened ever in the early years, just the last three years it happens maybe one in 5-6.... I dunno

7 minutes ago, bennysbrew said:

Thanks Phil . Good article, I've read a few similar .  I think it's either not rinsing properly, or maybe it's my 1973 water pipes... 

I have no problems with temp control, Brew a wide variety of beers so can't pinpoint a certain ingredient. 

It's mettalic , or house cleanerish. I've done 80 odd batches now and it wasn't something that happened ever in the early years, just the last three years it happens maybe one in 5-6.... I dunno

Well I suppose if you can narrow it down to water/water pipes or possibly the FV's ( if you use them ) as I new someone once who starting complaining about a similar problem & I saw the condition of his & suggested it was passed it's use by. When he finally come to terms with buying a new FV he ceased to have any problems with taste. 

I must be honest or lucky as I have brewed many beers over the years & only chucked one due to a leaky fermenter which caused a n infection, apart from that I have never experienced any brew with off tastes.

• 4 weeks later...

@Werner potgieter hey buddy just wondering if u tried another brew yet? I have learnt so much since joining this forum and also buggered up my 2nd batch. But as others have said there is usually a way to improve the beer, ageing etc. Or just start a new one and try again. Write down everything u think will be good for future brews, any lessons or in your case temperature. I have the opposite problem at the moment. Winter cold got a few blankets overy my FV just to keep it at 18C😅

@Werner potgieter  I bought a cheap metal urn to make things easier, did a batch of 2 x 23 litres using it, the beer had a metallic taste. The urn ended up in the bin. Haven’t had a problem since.

Check what you are boiling your water in. I only use glass or plastic kettles now. I might buy another urn but I’ll make sure it’s top quality.