Coopers Community

Beer tasting chemically

That’s right Marty, you could leave the sanitiser and foam in there for as long as 1x10ˉ9 seconds but when you rinse/introduce ordinary tap water, all that sanitation is most likely undone in under 5 seconds.

• Like 1

My process is; I drain as best I can but not be silly with risk re foam not coming out of the FV etc.  A good drain of as much as possible during the time you have available but never a rinse or flush out.

This sanitiser has a very high taste threshold and don't forget it is the main ingredient in Coke a Cola and the like so you will probably will not taste any of it.  If you drink Coke you will know what I am talking about.  You can taste the sugars and flavoring but not the main ingredient.

Obviously the sanitiser has some foaming agents added to make it adhere to the sides and make contact with as much surface area as possible but basically it is Coke a Cola (well sort of).  If you know anyone that is addicted to Coke a Cola you will know they have dental problems, i.e not many teeth left due to the acid effect.  With a PH of about 3.0 it dissolves your teeth.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

so u blokes just pour the water and wort straight in on foam and don't notice any off flavours or differences? been keen to try it a few times but never actually could maby I will have to.

there's usually a little bit of foam left over when i start but not a lot, i usually pour my sanitiser out of my FV about 15 mins before i'm about to start mixing up and pop the lid back on and then do a secondary tip to get most of the residual foam out just before tipping stuff in

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Werner potgieter said:

You guys are legends! Helping so quickly. Man I reckon I need to sit down with someone who is well versed in all of this. I love an Ale and just want to make a consistent nice brew which is stocked in the cupboard for BBQs etc. 

We're here to help. We've all been there and we've all asked, listened and learnt. We have some very experienced and knowledgable  brewers here, some brewing kits'n'bits, some doing extract and others do all grain. There is a lot of knowledge to be picked up here, so read through the forum and ask questions.

There are a few things that have already been mentioned, temperature control being one of them and an important one. If you give the yeast a stable, suitable environment, it can produce some good beer and most importantly, consistently good beer. Don't cut corners, don' t go for the cheapest option, keep your hands off the lager can, it really isn't good (sorry Coopers) and don't despair. We all stuff up and we all learn from our own mistakes.

Just be aware that the rabbit hole of home brewing is a bottomless pit. Don't say you haven't been warned 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

My process is; I drain as best I can but not be silly with risk re foam not coming out of the FV etc.  A good drain of as much as possible during the time you have available but never a rinse or flush out.

This sanitiser has a very high taste threshold and don't forget it is the main ingredient in Coke a Cola and the like so you will probably will not taste any of it.  If you drink Coke you will know what I am talking about.  You can taste the sugars and flavoring but not the main ingredient.

Obviously the sanitiser has some foaming agents added to make it adhere to the sides and make contact with as much surface area as possible but basically it is Coke a Cola (well sort of).  If you know anyone that is addicted to Coke a Cola you will know they have dental problems, i.e not many teeth left due to the acid effect.  With a PH of about 3.0 it dissolves your teeth.

That's why it's probably better to dilute it with a few fingers of Ouzo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

That's why it's probably better to dilute it with a few fingers of Ouzo. 

At least two fingers of good rum IMO.  Two fingers of good Scotch in my brothers opinion (he cannot stand rum) but we are happy drinking our own poison's ha ha..

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

there's usually a little bit of foam left over when i start but not a lot, i usually pour my sanitiser out of my FV about 15 mins before i'm about to start mixing up and pop the lid back on and then do a secondary tip to get most of the residual foam out just before tipping stuff in

might have to try let it sit a bit the amount of foam I.get mixing just under recommended freaks me out but don't let settle after first tip will try it.

i use a bucket blaster   to sanitize my  fermzilla and my 35l snubby    makes easy work of everything most foam either lands in the bathtub or stays within the bucket
also use it on my coopers as well my 2 other normal fermenters   ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breaktrainjack said:

I always rinse out the FV with boiling hot water afterwards ..i kinda fear the foam a lil' ..but then again i use diluted vinegar and bleach 😁🍻

Just sayin'... 

The active ingredient in chlorine bleach is the alkaline (a.k.a basic) chemical compound sodium hypochlorite. When powdered or liquid chlorine bleach mixes with an acid—in this case, vinegar (acetic acid)—the sodium hypochlorite turns into hypochlorous acid, which emits chlorine gas into the surrounding air. Chlorine gas is highly toxic—so much so that during World War I, a potent variant of it was used in trench warfare to knock out Allied troops. The gas gives off an extremely pungent smell, and while it looks yellow-green in large volumes it is invisible in small quantities.

Also, boiling water SOUNDS good but is likely to denature the plastics used in FV's - unless you have a stainless one, it's probably not a good idea unless you like consuming plastic byproducts.

• Like 1

Well.. if we are going to get all technical and all ..copy and pasting google and the like ..add the vinegar to lower the waters PH to around 6  (do you have ph test kit ?)  ..BEFORE adding the diluted bleach (as Coopers directs ) would you like the raitos ?  ..this effectivly utilizes and ensures the bleaches sanitizing properties ..Starsan 50 bucks ..vinegar and bleach 4 bucks ..have you upgraded to all stainless and glass brewing equipment  JOURNYMAN?  ..beats plasitics anyday  ..as to leaching chemicals from a plastic FV  ..plastic still leachs out no matter which way you look at it .. with phosphoric acid added to the mix ..it WILL leach out even faster ..should of realized the level of scrutiny from SOME of the regulars around here  ..cheers

Edited by Breaktrainjack
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I can tell you with great confidence the chemical tastes are fusel and phenolics that come from too high a ferment temp. 

Yes, but band-aid or medicinal can come from other issues

On 6/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, Aussiekraut said:

We're here to help. We've all been there and we've all asked, listened and learnt. We have some very experienced and knowledgable  brewers here, some brewing kits'n'bits, some doing extract and others do all grain. There is a lot of knowledge to be picked up here, so read through the forum and ask questions.

There are a few things that have already been mentioned, temperature control being one of them and an important one. If you give the yeast a stable, suitable environment, it can produce some good beer and most importantly, consistently good beer. Don't cut corners, don' t go for the cheapest option, keep your hands off the lager can, it really isn't good (sorry Coopers) and don't despair. We all stuff up and we all learn from our own mistakes.

Just be aware that the rabbit hole of home brewing is a bottomless pit. Don't say you haven't been warned 🙂 

Thanks for the comment... well we’ll have to get onto another brew. The taste is not something that we’ll enjoy. No point in drinking something that you dont enjoy. 

hopefully the next one is better. 

6CC32A11-5ECC-40B9-8C4A-B94DA221D1B1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Werner potgieter said:

Thanks for the comment... well we’ll have to get onto another brew. The taste is not something that we’ll enjoy. No point in drinking something that you dont enjoy. 

hopefully the next one is better. 

Sorry to hear you have to put ya 1st one down the sink mate, we have all had to do it once or twice in our life

1 thing i would like to suggest to you as a beginner and by all means you dont have to do this

Buy John Palmers  "How To Brew"    this is a great book and many in the homebrew fraternity call this book the bible of brewing
its not just for the beginners but its also for the experience   as its all about extract brewing   to all grain brewing
its not an overly expensive book  to buy   .

however if you do not want to buy his latest edition you can read his 1st addition free of charge online

http://howtobrew.com/

As i said you dont have to read it if you dont want to

Also you will get some great advice here on extract brewing,  i dont do much  extract brewing myself as i do A.G brewing
but i enjoy reading  extrect brewers ways of doing things  and on the odd occasion  i will do an extract myself

most of all mate  enjoy and have fun doing it

• Like 3

Bottling sucks and if you just started I don't see a reason to take up bottle space for a batch that MAY become good, but sometimes with age a beer can become much better.  Give everything a good clean and sanitise and give a think about a beer you like to drink and pick that kit or recipe from the recipe section , which are all really well made with MUCH better instructions. Or if you are happy to go with another kit and some malt extract just make sure to pitch plenty of yeast, keep the temp reasonable depending on the brew and yeast and you should get something fairly drinkable and enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I've got a chemical problem that pops up once or twice a year in recent years. I don't know what it is, it's not a taste I can describe, but it's nothing like a beer- not remotely drinkable , solventy maybe, but it's hard to explain flavours and smells , I mean what the hell does a band aid taste like and I question anyone who could explain what it does. This is like a bottle of chemicals of some description, cleaner, again hard to explain..

Only thing I can I think of is maybe I don't rinse the napi San well enough after soaking the equipment in it. Hard to pin point the problem when most of my batches are fine, but then it rears it head again. 

It doesn't get better with time in the bottle, it gets worse. This batch I could taste it after f.g , so wasn't a bottling issue. I made another batch straight after it, and it's fine.... I dunno.