Coopers Community

Help the Newbie? Please.

Hi all, just started on the Coopers and have just had delivered 2 x Lager and an Aussie Pale Ale. How much dextrose can I add per can as I mistakenly ordered dextrose from another supplier, thinking I had to add it with the cans. I'm using a 23l Mangrove Jack stainless steel FV.  I'm also kegging not bottling. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, AussieSapper said:

Hi all, just started on the Coopers and have just had delivered 2 x Lager and an Aussie Pale Ale. How much dextrose can I add per can as I mistakenly ordered dextrose from another supplier, thinking I had to add it with the cans. I'm using a 23l Mangrove Jack stainless steel FV.  I'm also kegging not bottling. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

try brewing with light dry or liquid malts to make better beer and not cider tasting. Use the dextrose in smaller amounts with the malt.

Wot he said

I agree with those two blokes, but to answer your actual question, about 1kg is enough if you don't add the extra malt. Use less if you do. The general rule of thumb is 1kg of extra fermentables.

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how everything turns out. 👍

• Like 1

The dex is going to thin your beer and not add to body or malt flavours. I'd hold off and order in some LDME (Light Dry Malt Extract) and use that in preference, maybe with 250g of dex to boost %ABV a bit.

Online home brew sites have LDME for maybe $8.50 per kg so it's worth waiting a bit to get it right. The lager cans in particular will be quite ordinary with only dex.

And the can alone is not going to give you much of a beer to drink so you need the extra...

• Like 1